Any Brits here?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by hairychris, Jul 9, 2018.

1. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

The EU and particularly us Irish are getting a lot of bashing from gung-ho Tories over the impending no-deal scenario. Its transparent as hell but its a narrative that will play with hard core, "How dare Dublin somehow shit in our pants!? Outrageous!".

_MonSTeR_ and StevenC like this.
  2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

When in reality it was the ancestors of the DUP who shit in all of our pants 100 years ago.

3. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

This...
    Is spot on, yet at least 52% of British people will completely agree and be up in arms :(

Gove’s cry at the moment of ‘the EU won’t negotiate’ is insane, the U.K. has nothing to negotiate with and Gove’s idiotic remark translates as ‘Brussels won’t give us exactly what we want for nothing in return, it’s all their fault!”

I cannot despise the current government more without asking myself what Guy Fawkes would do about now...

Anquished and ImNotAhab like this.
  4. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I was holding off posting because I was going say "At least you guys won the first Ashes Test" to cheer you guys up from the misery of having BJ as PM however you went and fucked that one up ;)

On a serious note, I'm just hoping there's enough left in that chamber that either vote a second referendum in to remain in the EU or just legislate remaining regardless of a referendum. There is no form of leaving the EU whether hard or soft that benefits anyone.

StevenC and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  5. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I think the Brexiteers have won. They’ve been so intent on winning that they don’t care what the prize is, just that they win. We’re crashing out with no deal and generations will pay the price. There was a chart showing the education level of Brexit voters compared to their orefer nice to remain. That showed that the better educated you are the more likely you would have been to remain.

That says it all basically. We’re being led off a cliff edge by a bunch of educated idiots, voted for by a bunch of uneducated idiots, and it’s all because people who thought no-one could be this stupid gave then a chance to directly decide government policy. There’s a reason we have our electoral system : it’s supposed to protect us from this shit.

Im thinking of starting a ‘Vote Join’ party for the next election!

Winspear likes this.
  6. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Why does it feel like we're on the verge of a fascist dictatorship?

PM wanting to close parliament to limit any chances to stop "no deal" Brexit.

And all of this just so very rich people can continue to avoid paying taxes.

Surely we're going through a period of the most irresponsible government ever- started by David Cameron and continued through 2 prime ministers that were not elected by the public (something Boris Johnson himself much decried when Gordon Brown was brought in). The BBC are helping this all along by very biased reporting.

7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Boy, the UK is becoming current day US, isn't it.

8. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Because we're on the verge of a fascist dictatorship, but remember, King Boris and his Uncle Nigel are going to give £350 million a week to the NHS!

Wholeheartedly agreed! the whole point of the UK political system is for the unwashed masses to elect their MPs who should know better as to what to do with the country. When the idiots get to decide foreign policy directly, we end up voting to leave the EU and a few millionaires stand to make even more money whilst said masses all lose their jobs because the UK is no longer the "Gateway to Europe"... but remember, King Boris and his Uncle Nigel are going to give £350 million a week to the NHS!

I'm half convinced the UK is actually the new Star Wars movie and BoJo is actually Emperor Palpatine. I think this is how he seized power in "Revenge of the Sith"...

9. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Sad but true:

upload_2019-8-28_11-34-36.png

Attached Files:

zappatton2 likes this.
  10. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Hmm... I wonder if Trump will ask the Queen about suspending Congress?

JSanta likes this.
  11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

So, odds that the opposition wrenches control of Parliament from Johnson tonight? Sounds like they've got a pretty good shot from here.

StevenC likes this.
  12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

By the looks of this evening, at least some of our checks and balances still work.

Vyn, Nick, JSanta and 2 others like this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Alright, now you're just bragging.

Vyn, tedtan, Ralyks and 2 others like this.
  14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:rofl:
    Not 100% sure, but it looks like I posted this a couple minutes before they did it. No more than a few, though.

That said - one of the economists I follow noted in a piece this morning that, based on what little we know from negotiations during G7, there actually may have been something to Johnson's argument that the threat of the UK actually leaving without a deal was giving him leverage that May - who the EU never believed would chance a no-deal Brexit - never had, and that he seemed to have been making progress getting some concessions out of the EU. That's interesting and all, but at the same time if you believe (as do I) that the whole Brexit process was a mistake in the first place, anything that makes it marginally less likely to happen is a good thing.

Vyn and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  15. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

This needed to happen months ago, but with such a small operational window I'm finding it harder and harder to predict the overall outcomes. I'd have said no-deal Brexit is still the most likely eventuality, but I'm secretly hoping for this to drag on long enough for a sufficient number of old, stupid people to die to allow a clear majority for remain to prevail by attrition. Personally I hope Nigel Farage is amongst the first of them...

16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Well, you PROBABLY have until January 31st to figure this out, now.

17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I definitely checked the news after you posted and the vote hadn't happened yet, so you're good.

It looked like May wasn't going to no deal, but Boris would, but I don't think that gave them any more leverage, really. A no deal is worse for the EU than any other form of Breakfast, but the negatives are all still one sided towards the UK.

Hopefully now we get some legislation through for an extension, then get a government in that will finally run a second referendum.

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, to be perfectly honest I found that argument hard to understand too - a no-deal Brexit would hardly be good for the EU, but would be a lot worse for the UK, which is something at least the EU would have been well aware. And, for that to be used as a threat for leverage effectively, there would need to be some belief that Johnson really WOULD exit without a deal. That's a fair assumption since he'd basically said as much, but if Johnson was really looking to position for a no-deal Brexit, you have to wonder how interested in getting concessions he was. He either was very interested, and the threat of a no-deal Brexit was in turn pretty empty (something the EU would almost certainly have been able to figure out from the negotiations), or he wasn't very interested, in which case he wouldn't have been pushing for any sort of serious concessions in the first place. Idunno.

A second referendum, ideally with the actual, nailed-down Brexit deal on one side vs Remain on the other, is definitely the best case scenario here (and the only referendum that should ever have been on offer). Here's hoping, but even if you guys come back from the brink, a lot of damage has already been done.

StevenC likes this.
  19. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The consensus seems to be that BoJo doesn't really care about anything other than being remembered, and it's better to be remembered as the guy that made Breakfast than not. He, along with a lot of the rest of us, thinks the only way Breakfast will be served is if we crash out without a deal. He never bothered negotiating with Brussels, I don't even know if he's been to Brussels since being PM, and then he tried to muzzle Parliament from stopping no deal.

I fully anticipate, one way or the other, if we get a referendum on "the deal" or stay in, the options will be no deal or stay in. If it's BoJo as PM at that point, there won't be a deal made, and Corbyn will be hopeless too. There seems to be some amount of arrogance among Breakfast Eaters that the EU will give them a favourable deal without any justification as to why they would. They can send as many different people to Brussels as they like and they will keep getting the same result.

20. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Also a weird confidence that they will be able to make an amazing trade deal with the US that will make up for anything lost with the EU. I don't understand why they think that, but it seems to have something to do with Boris being buddy-buddy with Trump. But I don't think they understand that while PoTUS can add sanctions and tariffs for reasons of national security, a comprehensive US-UK trade agreement isn't created by Donald and Boris sitting down together, jerking each other off, and signing a deal. It has to go through the House and Senate first. And those two institutions in the US are currently broken. Anything that managed to make it through the House won't even be allowed to be voted on in the Senate by McConnell. It could be years before the UK is able to make any kind of new deal with the US.

StevenC likes this.