Any Brits here?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's not my fault if the last 10 years of british politics have been Collector Edition grade. How do you want me to NOT go "lolmao" when I hear that one of the candidates for replacing Liz Truss is effing Boris Johnson.

If I got paid 100K/year for life for 44 days of faulty work, I'd have a good laugh, too.
I'm merely saying it would be a more interesting comment from someone who hadn't been saying the same thing, and ONLY the same thing, as long as I can remember on these boards. :)

Boris is a moron, and thankfully realized it in time to drop out.

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Incredible dog whistle front page from the Daily Mail.... how the fcuk do they get away with this? What I love though is the former PM they faun all over, Boris, is actually one of those 10m UK residents born outside the UK, in fact half the people who have or are cabinet ministers since 2019 have partners or parents who fall in to this 10m born outside the UK figure..... but the MAil doesn't mean them obviously, its another look over here and get angry about all these "illegal" migrants who are all criminals and gang members, don't look here at the fails asylum process, and def try to forget about the cost of living crisis and that taxes are gonna rise and energy bill poverty or out of control inflation..... just get angry about black or brown foreigners as its all their fault your life is so sh1t, not 12 yrs of Tory rule

Daily-Mail.jpg

Last edited:

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Incredible dog whistle front page from the Daily Mail.... how the fcuk do they get away with this? What I love though is the former PM they faun all over, Boris, is actually one of those 10m UK residents born outside the UK, in fact half the people who have or are cabinet ministers since 2019 have partners or parents who fall in to this 10m born outside the UK figure..... but the MAil doesn't mean them obviously, its another look over here and get angry about all these "illegal" migrants who are all criminals and gang members, don't look here at the fails asylum process, and def try to forget about the cost of living crisis and that taxes are gonna rise and energy bill poverty or out of control inflation..... just get angry about black or brown foreigners as its all their fault your life is so sh1t, not 12 yrs of Tory rule

Daily-Mail.jpg
Literal on step from incitement

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Albanian PM Edi Rama absolutely nails the state of UK, or English politics should I say, post Brexit.
Shocking how mainstream racism and zenophobic anti migrant/asylum seeker rhetoric has now become. Fcuking disgusting

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Home Secretary has her pants pulled down by another Tory MP over immigration and she confirms the truth that there is NO "legal" route for asylum seekers & refugees in to the UK, question is IU suppose is she so fcuking stupid she doesn't understand one of the main points of her role as Home Secretary or she just doesn't care, coz lazy right wing anti immigration rhetoric is a vote winner with the tory base

Last edited:

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You have to be mad at immigrants bc if you were mad at the appropriate people something might actually change for the better for most people which is their worst fear.

Same thing happened here. Demonize unions. Convince people that immigrants are the problem. If we lower the corp tax rates and the rates for highest income tax brackets the money will eventually trickle down. Look away from the rich stealing at the highest rates ever and blame the poor folks willing to work jobs most of us would never consider. If you blame the wrong people you don't have to increase wages to match inflation and the wealth just keeps transferring to those who already have the most.

The fact that they keep getting a large chunk of people to fall for it and repeatedly voting against their own interests is really quite astounding.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
The fact that they keep getting a large chunk of people to fall for it and repeatedly voting against their own interests is really quite astounding.
Not really. Communication is now understood well enough that it's close to a science, where effort on point X will result in yield on point Z in a vast majority of contexts. Entire models have evolved to prey on specific weaknesses, bias and emotional responses of the population that is the cheapest to manipulate: the uneducated, who often endup being the poor, even though they sometimes endup as POTUS because, $$$ inheritance.
It is therefore not astounding at all: this is an engineered result, and the victims can't get out of the trap by themselves since it's beed designed specifically around them. The move towards populist governments is mostly the result of media in general becoming much cheaper to use than they were before so you can hammer messages reaching billions for almost free. You just need to spend enough so you can fool the amount you miss to win the election. (In general terms, women, minimum wage families and non-white people voting for Trump, etc) You don't need to get all of them, you just need to get the cheapest ones to convince.

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Brexit fascinates me as an outsider and I'm very curious how it will be remembered in 50 or 100 years. Has there ever been another situation where a country convinced their citizens to vote to intentionally make themselves poorer? They really convinced a slim majority of the people it was going to be great and all of the lies maybe seemed believable enough on the surface if you didn't know enough or think that hard. Vote with your feelings instead of the facts. Label the people warning you of the downsides as doom and gloom project fear so you can ignore what they said that eventually came true.

It's crazy how they went from calling it project fear to saying they knew it was going to make them poorer when they voted. That shift is astonishing when you think about it. Denial is a very strong emotion. As everything is crumbling around you they morph their arguments into something almost nonsensical but they still cling to the feelings that got them there instead of questioning maybe it was all lies.

Super hard to admit you got conned.

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

As usual, he is spot on!

All the problems in the UK right now are all the fault of Nurses, Postmen, Cleaners & Ambulance drivers, Ohh and of course immigrants, obviously, even though 4 people have died over night in the channel SOLELY BECAUSE of the UK's immigration policy, which just got even harsher today. Any one arriving "illegally" will be arrested now and returned to either their country of origin or the last country they left and will be refused any subsequent attempt to enter the UK and any future asylum claim..... inhumane, utterly inhumane and boardline evil all to keep the racists fcukwits and the right wing press happy. Tories don't wanna fix immigration anyway, its too much of a vote winner to keep it so sh1t and to keep people angry to then keep promising they are the only party who can fix it

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
More on the Home Secretary commons speech on Immigration..... baring in mind she says this on the day more people died trying to cross the channel......
From the Guardian:
Guardian Live: Commons feed

Home secretary Suella Braverman has said that proposed legislation to deter Channel crossings “will save lives”.
She said:

We will introduce new legislation to make it unambiguously clear that if someone comes to the UK illegally, they should not be able to remain here.
Instead, they can expect to be detained and swiftly returned either to their home country or to a safe country, where their claim for asylum will be considered.
Late or spurious claims and appeals will not be possible. Once someone has been removed, they will have no right to re-entry, settlement or citizenship.

This will act as a deterrent and it will save lives.

Her are some comments on this:
Enver Solomon, chief executive of the Refugee Council, has said in a statement that deterrence does not work.
He said:

The time for a more rational conversation about these Channel crossings is long overdue. At every turn, those who can take meaningful steps to address it in ways which will make a difference simply decline to do so.
Instead of taking compassionate and careful measures, they turn instead to rhetoric and bluster, and choose unworkable punitive measures and deterrence despite all the evidence that they just don’t work. That evidence is never more apparent than today, with lives lost, hopes and dreams shattered, families in mourning.

Zehrah Hasan, advocacy director at the joint council for the welfare of immigrants (JCWI), has issued a statement calling for clearer visa pathways to prevent people risking their lives.

Last November we saw 31 people lose their lives in the Channel, and now we’re seeing history tragically repeat itself. Let’s be clear that these disasters are utterly avoidable, and a direct consequence of government failure to take a fair, compassionate and sensible approach to refugee protection.

People would not be risking their lives seeking safety here if there were clear visa pathways available to them. To prevent further avoidable tragedy, this government needs to stop playing politics with people’s lives and introduce the safe routes needed.

Medecins Sans Frontières has shared its response to the tragedy, in which it urges the government to ensure incidents like this do not happen again by avoiding a deterrence-based approach to asylum-seekers.

Natalie Roberts, executive director at MSF UK, said:

We are distressed to hear reports of a shipwreck in the Channel, where it has been confirmed that at least four people have lost their lives. Our thoughts are with the victims of this disaster, and the emergency services that are working to rescue the survivors.
The government needs to now take urgent measures to ensure tragedies like this do not happen again.
This means recognising that a cruel and punitive approach, such as that outlined by the
prime minister yesterday, will not stop Channel crossings and will simply cause more suffering. As the Home Office’s own research shows, an approach built on deterrence only pushes desperate people into yet more dangerous routes. Men, women and children seeking safety will be forced into make even riskier journeys to get here, causing harm to their health and wellbeing, and inevitably resulting in more deaths.
The horrific incident that occurred in the Channel today was a consequence of a lack of safe routes. The prime minister’s proposals would effectively end the right for people fleeing war, persecution and violence to seek asylum in the UK, breaking with the refugee convention and shirking our international legal and moral obligations.

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
can i ask how James O'Brien is viewed over there? i am a huge fan of his. i wish we had someone like him over here.

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
can i ask how James O'Brien is viewed over there? i am a huge fan of his. i wish we had someone like him over here.
I am a huge fan too, his two books are so good and his show is the most popular by a mile on LBC. The journey that he details in his 2nd book from being, tbh a real priviledged prick who was quite right wing and offensive about everything, to the person he is today is really incredible.
Unfortunatley he is one of the few people speaking truth to power over here and that puts him in the minority, even on LBC, so he isn't at all popular with politicians or the mainstream rightwing papers & commentators, he rarely if ever appears on opinion type phone in shows or Question time not cause he won't but coz he is too honest and cuts thru the political/right wing games, that they don't want him
As he always says he just holds a mirror up to people, it not his fault if you don't like what you see. Amongst some others he should be required listening imo. BBC desperately need him back!

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Brexit summed up perfectly. Businesses explaining the truth of what a mess it is now compared to when we were in the Single Market vs a Hardline Tory Brexit Headbanger and their BS