Any BKP VHII 7 users?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Science_Penguin, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I've been trying to nail the cleaner, brighter humbucker tones of people like Eddie Van Halen, George Lynch and Gary Moore for quite some time now, and I'm thinking of buying a set of VHII's for my RG7. That's quite an investment for a set of pickups though, so I want to make sure I have the best idea I can about their sound before I buy them. Anyone here have any experience with these pickups? How did they sound through your rig?

I'll welcome the opinions of anyone who's used the 6-string model, but as I said, I'm looking mainly for how they sound in a 7-string.

Thanks in advance,
    Science Penguin.

2. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    Unfortunately, not in a 7. But I do love the 6 string variants, and they fit the exact description/idea you have for the tone you want. The neck obviously works well, and is brighter so therefore suited for warmer or balanced guitars. I would imagine the bridge pickup would do well in a 7 if in the right guitar. I'd check with Zimbloth in the BKP pickups thread.

Since you mentioned Gary Moore, you might want to look at The Crawler. It's an awesome pickup for 7 strings, not as bright as the VHII but not nearly as dark as the HD. It has a very classic voicing and warm but tight low end. It's a really good prog- rock pickup, and definitely handles metal tones with ease. Typical BKP tonal aesthetics, and actually a lot of power. I'd consider it highly along with the VHII or a combo.

3. Science_Penguin

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely check with him for more on the VHII.

I like what I hear of the Crawler as well, if anything I might at least use that in the neck position (I tend to like a warmer voiced neck pup since I'm dealing with 24 frets) Thanks for the suggestion!

4. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

I have a VHII-7 in the neck of my LTD viper-7, (mahogany body, maple set neck, rosewood fb, if you take that sort of thing into account).

I find it to have a nice full sound. I wouldn't call it bright though. It has a nice warm sound without being muddy at all. Lead tones have that nice liquid round sound. I really dig it.

Unfortunately I can't help with bridge pickup info, I like high output bridge pickups.:metal:

5. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

PM Addie5150.

6. Addie5150

Addie5150 Amidst the chaos

I have a pair in my Loomis signature.
    It s bright without being shrill and hurting your ears.
    I love it. The sound i was going for was post 90's Evh sound(brighter, lesser gain & compression) and the VHll nails it completely.
    The neck pickup is absolutely phenomenal . Liquid goodness.

7. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

VHII should do nicely. I have the 7 string Mules, and the VHII should be similar but brighter and a bit tighter in the bass due to the alnico V magnet. The Mule is my favourite pickup; a straight vintage PAF, the VHII being more of a modern PAF. It should have the same same great dynamics and openness, just with a bit more power and tightness.

Crawlers are fantastic for that Gary Moore heavy blues sound, but that's in a Les Paul. It sounds considerably brighter and less throaty in basswood.

8. Science_Penguin

Hey, if it can stay clean in the neck position of a set-neck all-mahogany guitar, it'll definitely suit my needs. Thanks.

That's good to hear, cos shrillness is exactly the problem I had with the Dimarzio PAF 7. Blamed that one on the Ceramic magnet, myself.

Do you think the pickup could still handle 90's era EVH tones? Cos, I'll be honest, Humans Being to this day remains my favourite Van Halen song, and that's probably one of the major benchmarks I use when trying to get that kind of tone.

Modern PAF is probably the direction I want to go for these kinds of tones, cos I'm told for my style of music (Progressive Metal) straight PAFs might get a little muddy, especially in a 7 string.

Right, I should probably have specified I was referring to Gary's Strat tone. The one with the passive humbucker to be specific (cos honestly the odds of me getting any kind of single coil for a seven are slim...)

9. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

Actually, per BKP, the Crawler was designed to sound good in both Les Pauls and alder strats, since Geoff Whitehorn plays both:

Crawler Humbucker

Also, there's a good thread over at the Bare Knuckle forums talking about the Crawler, and comparing it to the Holy Diver:

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31081.0

I'm no expert on them, but I would think the HD would be a better match for 90's-era Van Halen? :scratch: But I wouldn't think you could go wrong with the VHII either! :)

10. Science_Penguin

There's actually quite a lot of enlightening information in that thread. Thanks! Sounds like I'll need to add Holydiver to my list of possibilities.

So, for that era of Van Halen, you think maybe I should look for more mid-rangey stuff?

11. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

the emerald might do the job better, excels at what you described