Any Behold the Arctopus Fans?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by WayneCustom7, Nov 2, 2006.

1. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

Like the song they were playing in that video that made me not like them is so sick:

2. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

I'm really digging the new direction they've taken with Horrorscension. Less spazz, more experimental riffage, if that makes sense.

3. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I like them as a concept more than as a band. I get bored with them pretty quickly when I actually sit down to listen to them. I'd rather listen to John Zorn or Ruins.

4. octatoan

octatoan Acoustic tech-death!

Exospacial whatever has a great interlude and a killer ending.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

This is pretty much where I'm at. They're great live though.

6. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

What's the ideal environment to listen to their stuff in? I've tried really hard to sit down and actually listen to Horrorscension but I can't hack it. It's not exactly something like the Best of Elton John, or...Chaosphere... where you can pop it on the sound system while you're doing a bit of hoovering around the house or doing laundry or something exciting like that.

7. Tzar27

Tzar27 Well-Known Member

When I first heard these guys, I was completely confused and bewildered and I hated it.

I am no less confused and bewildered now, but I'm really starting to dig it.

8. octatoan

You could treat it as an exercise . . . "Listen to BtA for a minute a day with total focus, then write down what you found cool and what you didn't."

It stands to reason that listening to them, for some people, is really a way to get fresh ideas and gain new perspectives on a bunch of things (songwriting, and the interplay between different instruments to name two things - as well as how to not descend into Viraemia-ish technical wankery :2c:) - even if you don't like the music yourself. This seems to me to be a reasonable way to wrap your head around their pieces.

You could also choose a song and listen to it once everyday. It's much easier to understand what they're doing when you have an inkling of what's going on - "okay, Warr interlude coming up now . . . sounds, uh, phrygian-ish?". Again, :2c:.

9. monkeysuncle

monkeysuncle SS.org Regular

Huge fan of all Colin Marston! Skullgrid is a mindphuck

10. ChrisRushing

ChrisRushing Fretboard Acrobat

It's actually a War Guitar and not a chapman stick. We opened for these guys a few times. Really awesome energy and super tight. I like their earlier stuff. Didn't care for the last album as much. The new drummer they got is as whacked out as the guitar/war guitar parts so it never really feels like they lock anything down IMHO. A little TOO spaced out for my taste I guess.

11. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

There's another thread around here for these guys that was updated a little more recently than '06. I saw them play back in Fall of last year, it was an awesome show. Colin is definitely one of the dudes who helped get me into metal when I was younger (atypical band to start with admittedly). They have a new album in the works for late Spring/early Summer I think. I miss the jazzy clean interludes from their newer music though.

12. Cbutler

Cbutler SS.org Regular

this band obviously slays,
    but man that guitar solo in the guitar world video :/

13. AugmentedFourth

AugmentedFourth X:1 K:C [c^f]|

I have to agree with this assessment. Behold... the Arctopus seems to lack the more coherent and refined aesthetic that, say, John Zorn or Ruins have.

It feels like they have a few good moments, so it's easy to point at one section of one of their songs and say, "look how cool they are!" And you listen, and it sounds cool... but for like 30 seconds. They are eclectic, but in a way that sounds forced, kind of like a musical manifestation of ADHD. One YouTube commenter for the "Alcoholocaust" video says it best: "Sounds like King Crimson for a couple seconds."

Personally I prefer Dysrhythmia. They aren't more accessible than B...tA, but they have more refined compositions that have more obvious relations between ideas and stick to a single structure.

14. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

The opening section to this track always blows me away.

15. Defi

Defi SS.org Regular

What others have said about their inability to make things follow some sort of coherence is the cause of my tepidity. My counter is Fantomas - Suspended Animation. That album joins chaos with theme very nicely, in my opinion.

And also as stated Mick Barr, totally trance-like.

16. octatoan

Does anyone know how Colin tunes? Is his bass side in fifths (if so, why)?

17. SilentCartographer

SilentCartographer Creator as Observer

Seen them livel iek 4-5 years ago, working at call the office. Awesome guys.. I also got a Vinyl of skullgrid

18. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

Color me jelly

19. blaaargh

blaaargh Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked

Same. Was not into them at all until I opened for them a couple years ago. Still not a band I listen to regularly but I have a hell of a lot of respect for them