Another suggest 7 string bands thread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Blind Tortuga, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Blind Tortuga

Blind Tortuga Member

I did use search function first but didnt find exactly what i am looking for. Id like suggestion for 7 string bands who are not just tech death and if they tune to drop A thats even better. I prefer thrash, doom, swedish death metal, even power metal. Instrumental is cool too.
    Non metal would be great as well. Any 7 string rock jazz or fusion guys out there?

Ive been playing 6 string since I was 15 which happens to also be 15 years ago.
    I recently played a 7 string and ive become really enamored with them I cant wait to acquire one and start writing on it. Ive found a few bands who I like who tune to drop A which is the tuning i intend to use. To me thats almost like getting to write with a drop tuning and a standard tuning at the same time. Pretty cool.
    The bands i like ive found so far that are drop A are Scar Symmetry and
    Thy Art Is Murder .

ive also been digging Nevermore. I think they tune to standard B.

Kenneth Gurholt likes this.
  2. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Nevermore is standard Bb for the most part. Some drop Db. Myrath is standard A on a 7. Conquering Dystopia (while instrumental) is Drop A. And most fear factory is A standard. Not sure what tuning Solution 45 is but you’ll like that since ex scar symmetry singer is in the band.

3. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

Revocation's last 3 or 4 albums have a lot of seven string songs...all half step down.
    Jeff Loomis' solo albums are also seven strings half step down.
    Dream theater has a few seven string songs sprinkled throughout their catalog, mostly in standard tuning.

Or you could just look at this list on Wikipedia to get started: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-string_guitar (scroll down to near the bottom)

4. Blind Tortuga

Blind Tortuga Member

TheShreddinHand sweet thanks dude. Conquering dystopia i forgot about thanks for reminding me. Never heard of myrath cool name. Ill check out solution 45 for sure.
    Rad Ty mastapimp,
    that seems like a good starting point for me ty. I forgot about dream theater. Viper king i know is 7 string and also happens to be drop A. I gotta find a list of all their 7 string tunes.

5. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Randy likes this.
  6. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

thrash. pretty sure these guys have 7s

7. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

doesn't whitechapel use 7s in drop a?

8. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

First off, you rock for bringing up Powermad. Second, I think they use 8's on that record, because they definitely go to a low F#.

Anyway, Caligulas Horse plays 7 string, and much to my surprise after buying the In Contact tab book, play in Drop A.

9. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

Read "Powermad" as "Powerman 5000"

iamaom likes this.
  10. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

You may want to look into Christian Muenzner's guitar instrumental albums. Christian used to be in death metal heavy weight bands like Necrophagist and Obscura. He has released 2 guitar instrumental albums and will be releasing his third this March. He does play 7 string guitars tuned to A.

This playthrough is from his second album. He doesn't play a 7 string guitar on this song but he does on some of the others on the album. The 2 Youtube videos I included are to show you the styles he plays.

This playthrough is from his new solo album to released in March. Again, he's using a 6 string but states there are songs that are played on 7 string guitars on his new album.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  11. Addie5150

Addie5150 Amidst the chaos

12. Addie5150

Addie5150 Amidst the chaos

13. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Sonata Arctica started using 7 strings on and off with Reckoning Night and then pretty much permanently on all subsequent albums.

Within Temptation had them for a huge chunk of their heyday. (All Drop A tuning, BTW)

And, if you don't mind some sci-fi geekiness, check out some of Arjen Lucassen's work.

Blind Tortuga likes this.
  14. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Fallijahs first 3 full length albums

15. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Epica and Delain, standard B and standard A tunings.

16. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Ihsahn

CM_X5 likes this.
  17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I think George Van Eps was the guy who used a seven string in drop A in the jazz world for a LONG time before it caught on in metal.

But, why seek out seven string bands? You can play almost anything on a seven you can on a six, and expecially bands tuning down to B on six strings can be arranged pretty easily on a seven. The number of strings on a guitar, as it turns out, only rarely matters for the music you play on it.

18. Blind Tortuga

Blind Tortuga Member

Damn good stuff . I really like the first one w the white guitar. Hes doing jazz blues rock and neo classical licks all in one composition. Great sound. Id love to hear him play that 7 string sitting behind him.
    Thats a sick blue jem in the second video. Any idea what the deal is on that glove he is wearing? Maybe he has like flaky skin or some shit :shrug:

19. Blind Tortuga

Blind Tortuga Member

Ty for the suggestion sounds interesting ill google him. Any good composition or particular album u think is good?

and i am indeed well aware of how to transcribe tunings. I play plentty of stuff ive transcribed from standard to drop C# on my 6 string. Ive been playing music from other tunings and instruments for years.
    What i am after is clear examples of tone and techniques. Due to the scale length and other factors 7 string guitars have a special sound most noticeably on the low registers. also I just enjoy listening to 7 string players Im curious to hear whats out there.

20. Blind Tortuga

Blind Tortuga Member

SO SICK!

Thanks.for that one. Really cool video. He must b using a whammy pedal or something similar right?