Another Megadeth Post of Ellefson.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Megadeth with Dave's horrible vocals and Kerry's strangled cat solos...as boring as Megadeth is, at least it would have been horrible in an entertaining way
If you find the prospect of strangled cat solos and horrible vocals entertainment I invite you to listen to basically any Slayer album

Chanson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How hilarious would Hanger 18 have been with 11 little Kerry King solos. I need to hear the alternate reality where this happened.

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
one played on Rust In Peace and the other did not

Marty by miles and it ain't close
Humblest of apologies o lord of all things metal guitar. I shan't dare speak of liking Chris Poland's guitar work ever again. With your sagacious knowledge I shall henceforth spit on Poland's scum invested playing.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I find it funny how we're even discussing pedophilia because a guy who had a personal sex video leaked (not even with a minor, not even with she participating, and with consent). BUT suddendly everyone agrees is okay to sell your body at OnlyFans if you're Sonia Anubis (in this other thread)

Not that I give a damn about any of the two (and I'm in for anyone doing whatever the fuck they want with their bodies as long as everyone involved consents). But it's funny how agressively people judge some behaviours depending on their own prejudices.
The actual problem with Ellefson's case was the appearance of grooming, since he knew and was chatting with her before she turned 18. As someone in Jr's age group, that's kinda fucked up.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As much as I love Friedman/Menza, the Poland/Samuelson lineup sober would have been potentially the strongest Megadeth lineup that could've easily eclipsed everyone else.

But for that to happen, we'd have to live in a world where heroin doesn't exist.
Or anything else. They did all the drugs. Didn't matter what it was. Mustaine was the ringleader, too - he literally asked me if I knew anyone that had coke while standing at urinal next to me once. :lol:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chris Poland was my favorite. Check out his old band Damn the Machine. They only had one album but it was incredible.
Check out his solo work or Ohm, if you *really* want your mind blown. He's soooo good.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Humblest of apologies o lord of all things metal guitar. I shan't dare speak of liking Chris Poland's guitar work ever again. With your sagacious knowledge I shall henceforth spit on Poland's scum invested playing.
Well, except for the fact that Poland laid the groundwork for a lot of Marty's solos on the demos for RIP, sure. Then again, there's also the fact that Peace Sells is a superior album, but...

Der JD

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed over the years is that basically all of the lead guitarists in Megadeth since Friedman have had a more difficult time nailing Poland's solos vs Marty's. Poland just a had a really unique style.

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, except for the fact that Poland laid the groundwork for a lot of Marty's solos on the demos for RIP, sure. Then again, there's also the fact that Peace Sells is a superior album, but...
Ah yes, this is true. There are demos out there (and on the re-released albums) of Poland playing the solos for RIP that are very much the foundations for Marty's solos on the completed album. Good point sir!
EDIT: I see someone has already posted the demos. Good work that man!

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed over the years is that basically all of the lead guitarists in Megadeth since Friedman have had a more difficult time nailing Poland's solos vs Marty's. Poland just a had a really unique style.

And the hand injury that meant he could do mad stretches. Unless that's internet legend from the old Jackson Charvel Forum 20 years ago :D

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
People change in 30 years? :shrug:
Poland is definitely a better player now, but you would expect that from someone who's been pushing his boundaries for 30 years!

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And the hand injury that meant he could do mad stretches. Unless that's internet legend from the old Jackson Charvel Forum 20 years ago :D
I mean if you look at the video above (or below your post), you could def tell Chris' fretting hand looks... not normal. :lol:

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean if you look at the video above (or below your post), you could def tell Chris' fretting hand looks... not normal. :lol:
The tendon injury to his left index finger makes it so he can't bend it. If you notice how he plays on the higher strings, his thumb is riding very low on the neck. Probably makes stretching easier than if you keep your thumb anchored and your curl your fingers into position instead of playing straight over the strings.
That Holy Wars demo solo work has a very .....Lukather processed sound to it. Almost synthy.

Not comparing but there's some sweet Jeff Beck stuff going on with this guy. Lots of nuance.

That synth quality to his sound is definitely on purpose. His influences include non-guitarists like Chick Corea and Jan Hammer. He tries to emulate the pitch shifting wheel and explains it in this video: