Another Megadeth Post of Ellefson.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score

So hiring James Lomenzo as a permanent bass player, but have the bassist from Testament record on the latest album? The bassist from Testament will have Lomenzo's job next month LOL

Then Dave will forgive Ellefson again and welcome him back into Megadeth by the end of the year :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't Kerry King of Slayer MegaDave's other guitarist at one point in time? I'm actually surprised that Kiko Loureiro has survived this long in the band! It's a paycheque I guess. It's always a revolving door of band members with MegaDave.

Who are your favourite replacement guitarists that Megadeth has had after the LEGENDARY Marty Friedman was fired? Mine was definitely Glen Drover and Chris Broderick! Those dudes can play!

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like LoMenzo so I hope he stays. Doesn't DiGiorgio have like a million projects, including Testament? IIRC they're on tour atm.
Honestly even after the reunion, Dave and... Dave... never sounded like they got along. It sounded like it was just business.

Sermo Lupi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The quote very clearly says the opposite of welcoming Ellefson back. It's saying Mustaine won't hold a grudge over what happened, yet he won't play music with him anymore because you can't have that stigma following the band. That's why Mustaine mentions the downstream effects to band members' families, the touring crew, the management agencies, and so on. Even if the mistake itself is forgivable, that's different from asking dozens of people attached to Megadeth to bear that cross alongside Ellefson.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The quote very clearly says the opposite of welcoming Ellefson back. It's saying Mustaine won't hold a grudge over what happened, yet he won't play music with him anymore because you can't have that stigma following the band. That's why Mustaine mentions the downstream effects to band members' families, the touring crew, the management agencies, and so on. Even if the mistake itself is forgivable, that's different from asking dozens of people attached to Megadeth to bear that cross alongside Ellefson.
It's probably one of the most sensible takes Mustaine has had in...
Shit I can't even remember. :lol:

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Oh fuck, I forgot to mention my favorite Megadeth solo by Marty Friedman - Tornado of Souls!

Friedman still plays it lives with his band. This one is a gooder when the other guitarist plays it, Marty stops him and he's like "DUDE WHAT THE FUCK?! THAT'S MY SOLO!" then shreds the solo himself :lol:

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Chris Poland is fucking amazing, I'm not allowing any shit-talking of him on this website. Dude can fucking shred and has probably one of the most distinctive styles around.
Anyone talking shit about Chris Poland's talent needs to surrender their guitars after practicing his unhuman stretches for a month.

Chanson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It hurts me to hear Steve Digiorgio referred to as simply "the bassist from Testament". The dude has a list of credits a mile long, and is one of the most influential bassists in death metal. Not to mention him being the guy to really put fretless bass on the map for extreme metal. No offence to Testament, but the dude is a legend. Sorry, now anyways....what was the thread about?

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

So hiring James Lomenzo as a permanent bass player, but have the bassist from Testament record on the latest album? The bassist from Testament will have Lomenzo's job next month LOL

Then Dave will forgive Ellefson again and welcome him back into Megadeth by the end of the year :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't Kerry King of Slayer MegaDave's other guitarist at one point in time? I'm actually surprised that Kiko Loureiro has survived this long in the band! It's a paycheque I guess. It's always a revolving door of band members with MegaDave.

Who are your favourite replacement guitarists that Megadeth has had after the LEGENDARY Marty Friedman was fired? Mine was definitely Glen Drover and Chris Broderick! Those dudes can play!
You have the order all out of whack on your assessment of what's going on with the bass job in Megadeth. Dave has been recording this album since 2019 and they brought in Di Giorgio as a session player to replace Ellefson's tracks when he got the boot. Megadeth has used session players a lot in the last 20 years. If you'll recall, Dave tapped Poland, Vinnie Colaiuta, and Chris Adler on recent albums. Lomenzo came in after the album was completed and the bass was retracked so he could tour with the band. I'm sure everyone after Ellefson has had a clear explanation and duty of their jobs defined by Mustaine. This is planned out, not bass player musical chairs.

Last edited:

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Although I won't reply on the Ellefson's stuff, I'm here to say that Kiko is probably in the current top 3 of mainstream guitarists together with Guthrie (unreachable first) and Bumblefoot
Not mainstream guitarist would include Rick Graham and Alex Hutchings

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It hurts me to hear Steve Digiorgio referred to as simply "the bassist from Testament". The dude has a list of credits a mile long, and is one of the most influential bassists in death metal. Not to mention him being the guy to really put fretless bass on the map for extreme metal. No offence to Testament, but the dude is a legend. Sorry, now anyways....what was the thread about?
Discovering DiGiorgio and listening to those Sadus albums... It's some really fucking intense and tight bass playing.