Another GC/MF exclusive Ibanez RG6005 QM

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Curt, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Curt

Curt Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.

They are priced in the Iron label range, with the same control layout, and come with EMG 57/66. If anyone was considering an Iron label, i'd go this route instead for sure. I just ordered the 6003FM with some titans to throw in it.

Looks super nice for $600! Ibanez are killing it this year. Make sure you buy it from GC though, they are $800 at Musicians Friend.
    GuitarCenter

2. mystix

mystix SS.org Regular

Holy cow. That's the first I've been as I've seen in a while that I really like

3. Curt

Yeah, I literally just bought the RG6003FM and a set of Dimarzio Titans right before I saw this on the site and looked into it more. Should have ponied up the extra $180~ for this.

4. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

I'd buy the f**k out of that blue one. This is the first Ibby I've seen with active EMGs at that price point too.

5. nicktao

nicktao SS.org Regular

Yeah, these look really good, especially for the price. That blue finish reminds me of the RGA321. :yum:

6. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

Link says sold out. I guess it must be really good :lol:

7. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

Saw a red RG6003 at GC yesterday and I looked at it thinking "why can't they put out 7's and 8's with awesome tops like that?

8. Arsenal12

Arsenal12 nub

Hm I just looked and it says both transparent gray and blue are in stock. The red ones apparently ship in early September.

These seem pretty awesome for the money.. only thing I'm not crazy about is the bridge.

9. tylerpond05

tylerpond05 Mormon Metalhead

geez, i want a red or blue one!!!!!

10. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Trust me, it's not a top at all :lol: these are most likely the thinnest possible veneers in the world or a photo top. I'm pretty sure even my Premiums had photo tops, so that should say something about these. These are very well priced on paper for sure though, sick specs for the price.

11. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

The guitar sounds really good in the video but leave it guitar center to play primarily blues-inspired riffs on a guitar more suited to metal. I really want to try one of these out. Sounds pretty slick.

12. tylerpond05

tylerpond05 Mormon Metalhead

This. GC needs to get some younger people, or people who know what genres the guitars will most likely be played in.

13. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

ANyone know where these are made? Indonesia?
    Reason I am asking is b/c I returned 3 guitars to Ibanez due to quality control issues from their Indonesian factory.
    The one that I have is early 90s Japanese-made and pretty much a great guitar overall (but for the pickups - had to change that).
    These models look good, so I guess the issue is QC and pickups are probably due to be replaced, right?

14. Matt_D_

Matt_D_ SS.org Regular

first thought was, i wonder how much a hipshot bridge is and if the routing holes are similar (these look like gotoh manufactured ones?)

15. Curt

Definitely not a top, but also not photo. They are definitely ridiculously thin veneers, though. If you were to attempt to remove the finish by sanding, you'd probably sand right through the veneer. But guitars that without the EMG electronics would probably be sub $400, you can't really expect much more.
    They are Indo factory for certain. The pickups in these are EMG 57/66, so unless you detest actives then I can't understand replacing the pickups as these are the best that EMG make. But yeah, most of them are a little lacking in QC, but nothing that a bit of a setup and tech skills can't fix. I think that if you buy a guitar under about $800, with some exceptions, the further south you go from that price, the more you should expect to have to service the guitar out of the box. I've played some that are near flawless in regards to quality around this price range that just needed the relief set on the neck a bit. Anything above that should play admirably right out of the box every time, IMO. A $300 guitar like the 6003FM had a lot of corners cut to get it out at that price.
    No clue on that, but when my 6003FM with the similar bridge comes in, I will do some measurements and compare them with the hipshot mounting and report back. Apparently these bridges are Gibraltar manufactured, if the guy in the video is to be believed. Though he could be totally wrong and just talking out his ass.

16. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I played one of these on Friday at the local GC.

Just picking it up off the stand: you can feel how solid it was, very tight neck/body connection. I checked to see what kind of flaws there were going on and TBH, I didn't find many. The bridge was pretty comfortable. The only issues I saw was a sharp fret that stuck out just a little on the side, and the tone pot wiggled a bit. Overall though it looked good, played very good and sounded great!

Those EMG 57/66's are amazing pickups. Volume up they are balls out, super tight and crunchy. They may be a little gainy, but I just lowered the guitar volume a pinch and it sounded perfect. I'm not super big on actives, but these sounded fantastic. They really are the selling point on this guitar.

17. jclogston

jclogston SS.org Regular

how well do they stay in tune?

18. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I pick really hard, so I was pretty much beating on the thing and it never went outta tune. It was out a little bit when I picked it up in the first place, but even after some heavy bends etc. it stayed in tune!

It was even intonated really well.

19. MaxSwagger

MaxSwagger SS.org Regular

I played one at my local GC last night and while it is definitely nicer than the RG6003 I had for a little while, I felt it didn't quite live up to the $599 price tag. However once they start popping up used I might snag one. First experience with the 57/66 set as well, I dug em way more than other EMG's I've played but still not as much as a good set of passives. The neck was nice but just had this overall not quite there yet feel to it, kinda like the Iron Labels I've played. Frets and fret ends were great though. The finish wasn't so great, pretty dull. I played a few different guitars around that price point yesterday and I'd have a hard time going with one of these over a Sterling JP60. I highly recommend checking out a Sterling JP to anyone looking for a guitar around $600. The pickups could've been better but the neck, finish, and bridge were better than the RG and the locking tuners are a nice touch. I almost bought it until I saw a used Ibanez FR320. I've been wanting to try one forever because a tele body shape with a 24 fret Ibanez neck is just pure win and for $200 it was game over. Also, big ups to the previous owner for having the frets/fret ends cleaned up. I hope they keep the FR series and the Tightend bridge around. Really enjoying it so far. But yeah, the RG6005's are solid guitars but I feel they'll be way more solid when they go for $350-400 used.

20. SeditiousDissent

SeditiousDissent i drove bus

Had I known they were going to release this, I would have waited. Instead, I went ahead and threw a 57/66 set into my red RG6003FM. Maybe I'll snag one of these, too. The red "quilt" would look pretty rad next to my red "flame."