Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Alberto7

Alberto7 Sillygoose Engineering

I apologize in advance for the sh*tty quality pictures that follow. It's late at night and lighting in my room isn't ideal.

------

So I went to the local con (Otakuthon) two weekends ago, not including the current one at the time of this post. I hadn't updated about it because I was busy, lazy, and I could only go one day this year instead of the full weekend like I usually do.

It was a slow one this year for me and many others, and I didn't have anywhere near as much fun as I did last year. I didn't find as many cool things to do the day I went. I only went on Sunday - the last day - as I was super busy that weekend, and I wasn't anywhere near as hyped for it as I was last year. I only went with one other friend who just so happened to be available that weekend, and there was none of the long-term group planning that is usually involved in these kinds of things. (Which involves a positive feedback hype loop that gets me pumped for the con.) We also didn't have any cool guests at home that came for the con this year. (We had a couple, but I did not really get along with them much, so we didn't spend any time together.)

The official attendance number hasn't been released yet, but some say it was bigger, others that it was smaller, than last year. (20k + people) Despite that, I got some nifty merch and got this interesting autograph:

[​IMG]

That would be Atsuko Tanaka, who voices both Motoko Kusanagi - our beloved Major from Stand Alone Complex - and Caster from Fate/Stay Night. So you can imagine, with Fate and Ghost in the Shell being two of my favorite franchises in anime, that I was pretty starstruck upon meeting her. :lol: The autograph reads "Kusanagi Motoko" on top and below is "Kyasuta" (Caster), since I told her those were my favorite characters she voices. (As did 99% of everyone else.) They wouldn't allow any pictures though, and it was a super quick autograph signing, so, despite my total fanboyism, it was a very fleeting moment. I didn't even get to go to her Q&A session because I was lining up for another autograph that I didn't even get...

... I got to see Takeshi Obata as well, the manga artist for Death Note, and attended his Q&A session. He was very polite, but absolutely looked and sounded like he was sick and tired of being asked questions about Death Note and he just wanted to go back home and chill with his wife and draw, or something. :lol: I missed out on his autograph session, as they limited it to 100 people only.

[​IMG]

Other than that, I got around to putting up all the prints and posters I got from the con, (which prompted me to finally write this post :lol:) so the walls in my room are looking a bit more populated:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I definitely want to frame a couple of these, particularly my sister's Cardcaptor Sakura from the last picture. I really wanna keep that one for longer than the rest of them.

I also got an Eeveelutions t-shirt for my Pokemon GO outings, but it's in a pile of dirty clothes, so no picture of it for now. :lol:

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

^ Very nice! :yesway:

...and I smashed through season 1.

Yep, it was a fun right right through the end. I mentioned it having a nice 90s charm, I dunno if it's the nostalgia of the classic animes or JRPGs that hooked me but this just felt right, much more than it's own OVA of the time.

Another separate franchise this shares a odd similarity to is Romance Of The Three Kingdoms, particularly the Dynasty Warriors interpretation. First is that all the major players from all factions are formally introduced with a watermark (kinda like the recent and awesome Taiwanese Three Kingdoms series... go see that btw). The other trait is how some of the main characters are so OP they can just kill a group of soldiers with one attack to fill a theatre. :lol: One character who's of the tactician persuasion is so masterful he may as well be Zhuge Liang (or Sima Yi/Zhou Yu depending on your DW preference).

Nevertheless, I had a ton of fun. It's nothing new, but it's like nice old slippers, a well cooked steak and potatoes, a good loyal pet: all nice comfy and something you can easily fall back on.

Now either back to Delta or season 2...

I expect nothing less from Kenji Kawai. Speaking of which, I'm overdue for a composer post... :idea:

3. Bloody_Inferno

I guess now's a good time. :) Speaking of Kenji Kawai...

[​IMG]

...this post may be more intensive than that bloated Yoko Kanno post I did before. Largely due to the extremely rich and diverse body of work that Kawai has done. His discography goes beyond anime as he's done live action series, films all extending outside Japan. This is gonna be a big one. :ugh:

Anyways.

Right after quitting first year uni, he formed a fusion band for a contest. It didn't last long and he soon quickly worked on TV commercials. But it wasn't until he met sound director Naoko Asari when Kawai got the anime ball rolling. His earliest known work was the Maison Ikkoku TV series in 1986 and the Devil Man OVA based on Go Nagai's classic manga.

But his work on the film Red Spectacles lead to one of his longest collaborators, anime giant Mamoru Oshii. Wherever Oshii was working, Kawai wasn't too far around.

Together they did the Patlabor series, beginning with the OVA, then TV series, and all 3 movies.

The Patlabor series were all tonally different. The TV series and OVA were more the light hearted comedy while the movies were rather somber dark thrillers. This allowed Kawai to be diverse in his works.

Other early works were the Ranma 1/2 series:

Project A-Ko OVAs:

The Kyatto Ninden Teyandee series (aka Samurai Pizza Cats in it's original form):

And many more. Hell, that was just from 1985-early 90s. :eek:

Kawai continued some of the above series in the 90s and also added more works such as Mermaid Forest, another Mamoru Oshii collab StrayDog: Kerberos Panzer Corps. But in 1995, Kawai scored what may be considered his most popular work. Another Oshii collaboration... you know... the one even non anime fans know:

...yeah, that one. :D

At the same time Kawai was venturing towards the horror genre. First with the gut-wrenching Vampire Princess Miyu series (OVA and TV).

Then along came collaborations with Hideo Nakata that to various movies, most notably the first 2 Ringu movies, and Dark Water among others.

From 2000 onwards lead to even more known works. Both anime and otherwise.

First, more Mamoru Oshii collaborations like the Japanese/Polish sci-fi epic Avalon:

WXIII Patlabor 3 and Ghost In The Shell: Innocence among others:

Other non anime like the French Movie Bloody Mallory,

VariousHong Kong action movies:

Anime to Live Acton adaptations:

More Hideo Nakata horror films:

And a hell of a lot more...

Anime wise, there's plenty there too like...

Windy Tales:

The Sky Crawlers:

Fate/Stay Night:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai:

Gundam 00 (series and movie):

Eden Of The East:

Towa No Quon:

Barakamon:

World Trigger:

And most recently, Mob Psycho 100:

Phew. And that's not even all of them. :rofl: 30 years on and still going strong.

Now, I've been a huge fan of this guy for a long time now. I knew him since Devilman and have learned to recognise his still from Patlabor and Vampire Princess Miyu onwards. So I do love me some Kenji Kawai and still do. :bowdown: A recurring theme that I notice in all his work is that they're all seriously emotion driven, regardless of style and genre. Of course that's the job of all soundtrack composers but Kawai has become a master pulling all the right emotional strings in every one of his works. All his happy songs are sugary and smile inducing. All his horror themes rattles the spine and when he certainly knows how to control an epic scene, be it bombastic, ominous, tearjerking and everything in between.

One distinct trait that I noticed is his masterful use of the Dorian mode. It's subtile at first listen, but it's everywhere; from the classic sounding anime of the late 80s all the way up to now. I noticed this during the Vampire Princess Miyu TV soundtrack and now I associate it as his signature sound. And I looove it! :lol: Instrumentation is usually around bells/chimes, orchestras, heavy percussion, ethnic or choral vocals and droning effects and minimalist atmospherics. He's also an accomplished guitarist (he was the guitarist in his first band after all).

Like Yoko Kanno, I'm finding it hard to find any faults and shortcomings here. Though of course this is my biased opinion talking. If I was going to nitpick, it'll be that said Dorian style. To me it's completely recognisable to the point where it does distract me at times (it stopped me on my tracks during Gundam 00). Again it's difficult for me to do this because I'm so attached to his style. :lol: Unless you can?

In any case Kenji Kawai has built himself a rich discography,has earned a legendary status with many fans, anime and otherwise and he shows no signs of slowing down.

And his live concerts are awesome. So here's more of that. :D

Also just noticed this.

:rofl:

I can only respond with this:

[​IMG]

4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

The Devilman OVA's had some of the most bitchin' tunes for an anime, I remember hearing that battle theme for the first time and was just like, "What the fvck IS this?" but combined with the visual and grit of the whole thing? It was perfect.

5. Alberto7

I really, REALLY want the Like system back right now. I want to like the sh*t out of that post. Good job there man. I haven't listened to it all, but it reminded me of how good the guy is. It did make me go and re-listen to the GitS soundtrack after a long time though, which sent shivers running down my spine for the entirety of the performance. What a spectacle. I also never knew that he did Eden of the East and Barakamon! That dude really is a jack of all trades.

And that Kalafina picture is too cute. I can almost hear Keiko going "YOROSHIKU ONEGAISHIMASU!" in a super cute voice.

EDIT: I also had NO idea he had done Ip Man! I looooove those movies. Kind of ironic for a movie that details how the Japanese f*cked the Chinese over. :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I just caught up with Dragon Ball Super. Sh*t's getting real serious now, finally! This feels like a proper fully-fledged arc with tons of character exposition and plot development, rather than meandering about aimlessly with short arcs which are just expanded versions of past films or merely setting up the stage for a larger story coming up ahead. I absolutely LOVE Zamasu's character so far, even by general anime standards, and I'm super interested in knowing more. I also like that they're taking time to expand the Dragon Ball lore in general, which is super interesting. I also feel like it's getting even more hilarious, but that's perhaps because the atmosphere is getting much more serious, so moments of comedic relief have a larger impact.

For those of us here who watch it, I lost my sh*t at this scene:
    [​IMG]

Love Omni King too. "Shut up. I'll wipe you out. ◉‿◉" :lol::flame::ugh:

6. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Dude I ....in' lol'd at that Beerus scene. It's just funny to watch him do that kind of stuff, since he's usually looking down on everybody else. Seriously, this arc has made me a Beerus fan.

7. Alberto7

^ Haha absolutely. I personally always loved him, but he's turning out to be one of my favorite Dragon Ball characters ever. It'll feel weird going back to DB or DBZ and not have Beerus in them. :lol:

Whis too. For all his flamboyancy and overall relaxed and chilled out demeanor, he oozes this air of badassery that I'm dying to see him let loose.

Can't wait for the new episode to come out later today!

EDIT: aaannndd just saw the new episode... I think I peed myself a little.

8. MFB

MFB ExBendable

All three seasons of Avatar: The Last Airbender are on Amazon Prime Video.

Oh fvck.

9. Bloody_Inferno

While waiting for Macross Delta I started something completely new. A friend of mine was recommending me songs from Aika Yoshioka. She thought that some parts of my album resembled her music oddly enough. :lol: That lead to a conversation about her playing the Hakuoki games. So I thought well, I may check out the anime since I've liked what I've heard from Yoshioka so far.

And checking out anime based on the soundtrack is how I roll now apparently. :lol: Though it does help that Ko Otani (Shadow Of The Colossus) did the music to Hakuoki.

It's been a while since I've watched an otome/harem anime. Last time may have been a Ranma 1/2 marathon I did about a decade ago. At least this time I'm in more familiar territory. It's based during the Bakumatsu era and focuses heavily on another interpretation of the Shinsengumi.

I've said before that Japan tend to liberally interpret their historical figures as however the hell they see fit. The Shinsengumi may have only existed for 6 years during the dying days of the Tokugawa Shogunate but they're been embedded in the country's pop culture as much as the Sengoku samurai. They're more or less the Shogun's personal police squad but more like the Iron Guard, but they're usually portrayed as heroes like Peacemaker Kuragone, or support anti/heroes like Rurouni Kenshin and Gintama (the latter being heavily bastardised for comedic purposes and for the better I might add). Here they're mostly a bunch of pretty boys, but this is a otome/harem genre after all.

I'm only 2 episodes in and so far it's a little slow. I'll wait for a few more before doing the 3 episode judgment rule.

EDIT: 5 episodes in, and yeah, as expected, things heat up in episode 3 onwards. And new plot points are introduced to separate this from a more typical samurai affair.

10. Bloody_Inferno

Devilman was also awesome for getting me into Anthem.

:hbang:

Glad you're these ginormous posts. It does give some info merit.

It's also made me listen to that damn Ranma Lambada on repeat again. :lol:

And I love how Keiko's normal voices sounds nothing like her singing voice. At all.

11. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I feel like a dumbass.

I had been wanting to check out Yurikuma Arashi for a while now because I saw it on a few Best of 2015 lists, but when I went to check it out on kissanime, the subtitles were dreadfully sh!t-tastic. I tried finding downloads, but kept coming across similar comments about the quality of the subs (apparently the first fansubs were just google-translated from some German fansubs). Since I don't do dubs and the subs were so bad that I couldn't even make it through the first episode, I just put it on my list of stuff to check out later, in hopes that better subs would pop up.

Fastforward to "later," and I dropped by Kissanime to see if any new versions had been uploaded. They hadn't, but I went through the comments to see if anyone mentioned better subs somewhere else, and came across an interesting interaction between two commenters:

"Please reply to me if they ever make the subs better, I can't really stand the typos in the first episode"
    "It's only the first episode that's like that. The rest is by Funimation."

Fucking derp.

I powered my way through the first episodes horrible subs so I'd have something of an idea of what's going on, and then sure enough, everything starting with episode two and beyond has been the pro subs. And to think, I'd have know about this ages ago (the above exchange is four months old), if I wasn't worried about spoilers in the comment section. :lol:

Incidentally, the show is fucking weird. Don't let the "yuri" in the title fool you. From what I've read, the plot of the story is supposed to indirectly represent LGBTs and their (lack of) acceptance in Japan, which I guess I can kiiiiiiind of see so far, but I'm only four episodes deep, and despite it only being 12 episodes long, 4 is apparently not quite enough to really let me know wtf is going on. :lol:

Unrelated, here's the other shiz I've finished watching since the last time I posted an update in here, if anyone gives a crap:

Nichijou - A must watch for anyone. Hilarious.

Kuragehime (Princess Jellyfish) - I enjoyed it, but if cutesy slice of life stuff isn't your thing, it isn't a must watch.

Aoi Hana - Yuri, but really well done. It didn't seem at all like it was aimed at guys, like much of that particular genre. It was actually well written, and seemed like it was genuinely trying to portray the struggles a lesbian might experience growing up in Japan. Not a riveting watch, but maybe worth checking out if that sounds interesting to you.

Koyomimonogatari - Just the most recent season of the ~Monogatari series. Watch it if you dig that series, skip it if you don't. It won't make a lick of sense to people who haven't been following it :lol:.

Gakkou Gurashi (School-Live!): The feels. All of them. A similar gut-punch to Madoka Magica. Not as good all-around as Madoka, but had a better (imo) ending.

Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku: Fairly meh. Interesting enough to keep me around long enough to finish it, but over all it was just another cliche "New Enemy with better powers shows up, protagonist discovers new ability to defeat him" anime.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - Awesome, awesome show. I'm waiting for it to blow up in popularity like Attack on Titan did. I'm a bit surprised I don't see people talking about it more, honestly.

Akame ga Kill - Pretty good over all. I kindof assume most of you have already watched it, haha. Potentially the most unsatisfying ending I've ever seen, though. Super disappointing.

Yuru Yuri - Adorable. Don't let the "yuri" in the title dissuade you. Its yuri content is extremely light-hearted, not sexualized at all. It's just a cute cast of characters in a slice of life setting. Check it out if that sounds like your thing.

Candy Boy: Nonchalant Talk of the Certain Twin Sisters in Daily Life - More yuri, this time a bit more overt than the other stuff mentioned so far. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. It's really short, though, so you can check it out without having to invest too much time.

Mitsudomoe - I'm almost embarrassed to admit I watched this at all :lol:. It has some genuinely hilarious moments, but it also has an uncomfortable amount of "Uh... wtf, Japan?" moments, since it has dirty humor and takes place in an elementary school. So yeah. Uh... wtf, Japan?

Ansastu Kyoushitsu (Assassination Classroom) - Another great one, and another one I expect to hear more about in the future once more people have discovered it. Sure, it's already done after only two seasons, but I think it has some staying power. Would recommend.

Shinryaku! Ika Musume (Squid Girl) - A bit of a goofy twist on slice of life. Adorable and funny. I'd recommend it to people looking for something that doesn't take itself too seriously.

I thiiiiiink that's everything. :lol:

12. Bloody_Inferno

I forgot I was supposed to watch this. :lol: Thanks for the reminder.

13. Ikiharmaa

Ikiharmaa It's all white.

I finally watched fma:b, 8/10. I liked a lot of the characters and the plot was nicely twisty at places. It also had that adventure feeling that you get in games too, more so than most anime, that was kind of nice.

14. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

VEGETA - GOHAN - GOKU - PICCOLO.. SLAIN

But there is.. one..

[​IMG]

edit: idk why the picture is so small xD

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  15. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Finished the 8 current episodes of Mob Psycho 100. It started a bit slow in a way, and was weird overall, but it really got better with every episode.

Thinking of going for Assassination Classroom or Tokyo Ghoul now, but I'm open to other suggestions~

16. Alberto7

^ Gotta catch up on Mob Psycho. Episode 6 was so damn good.

I feel like the same has happened to me with subtitles before, but I can't remember which anime. :lol:

But yeah, my sister was a huge fan of the show, to the point that she made cosplays of the bear/person with the green clothes and the ever-creepy brown paws. She really liked it while watching it, but tells me that it was one of those shows that you really like while you watch it but never really stick with you afterwards. I watched a couple of episodes myself and, while I found nothing wrong with it per se, it was way too fantastic-y and weird and I wasn't in the mood for that kind of stuff. I did like the bit of narration where they tell the whole story in a sort of fairy tale fashion.

I followed this show as it was coming out for about 3 episodes and I loved it. Beats me why I stopped. :lol: I should go back to it.

On my to-watch list. Heard many good things.

DUDE. This anime holds the record of show whose first episode I've seen the most times. I ended up showing the first episode to like 7 different people, and I've watched it like 4-5 times on my own, and everybody I know even myself always have the same reaction, every time. It's THAT f*cking good. I bawled like a baby after the first time I watched it. I followed it for 5-6 episodes and, as is usual for me, I stopped for no good reason. REALLY need to get back to this one.

I was thinking of watching it until I made the stupid decision of watching this video, because gigguk:

I don't usually let these things dissuade me, but the idea of an Attack on Titan clone directed by the same dude who did AoT is kind of a turn-off, especially when I've been feeling like watching AoT again. I'm not crossing this anime out though. I may just watch it at some point.

It's funny how Akame ga Kill is one of the most hated modern anime. I watched the first 11-12 episodes and, while it wasn't special, it was so much damn fun. Gotta finish watching it. Also, this f*cking song:

:wub::wub::wub::scream:

Also heard good things of Squid Girl, and I do want to watch it at some point.

Thank you. For some reason, this post has made me feel like going back to revisit shows I never finished but should have, and watch anime in general again... right as I go back to school, fml. :lol:

17. Alberto7

Those guitars make me feel like the song will burst into the original Power Rangers theme song any second. :lol: That song friggin' ruled so hard. I can't believe it's in an anime. :lol:

Haha it's funny, because she seems to have a normal voice (to Western ears anyway) rather than the usual high-pitched squeaky voice of other J-Pop celebrities.

Also, I haven't watched Ranma 1/2 since I was like 8 or 9. :lol: I was never much into it, but I remember my cousin loving it to death.

18. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Kabaneri! I've been looking for the name of that show since I heard of it's concept. It reminds me of that terrible movie Land of the Dead from like 10 years ago. Just makes me want to watch it even more.

19. Bloody_Inferno

I said the same thing about God Eater. I still watched it anyway and thought it was alright, not great like its comparison but just alright.

Though Kabaneri does have the disadvantage of having the same director and composer to have done Attack On Titan, thus the comparisons are inevitable and judged wrongly by design.

Now I'm curious as to why this is universally hated. Is it just by the ending alone?

Music by Taku Iwasaki... yeah I automatically knew that was gonna be good before I hit play. Everything I've heard from him is full of win. :hbang:

The high pitched squeaky voice is a put on, especially when in shops. It annoyed me after the 5th day of my first stay in Japan. The maids in Akiba certainly didn't help either. :lol: I asked my friends why the hell they do it and I found out it's just the classic 'higher pitch = happier mood' thinking. I guess it works on occasion...

This is a series that I honestly don't know why I'm so attached to. :lol: For a harem series clearly aimed for women and children, Ranma had the luxury of being greedy and catering to both genders. Everything about Ranma is silly and a lot of genuine laughs here. Maybe it's because it's one of my early exposures to anime, or I had some fun with the fighting games despite bland Street Fighter clones, or I thought Ranma Saotome looked cool, before I found out about the getting wet part, or why I rate Ryoga Hibiki as one of the best anime rivals of all time... In any case, I still find it a fun series.

20. Alberto7

It's apparently a love-it-or-hate-it kind of anime. And let me correct myself: most people do like Akame ga Kill, but a whole lot of the popular online reviewers (YouTube in particular) hate it to death. The way I understand it, they argue that for an anime with so much blood and serious themes, it comes across as a silly and obnoxiously edgy show... I can kinda see why, but I find its edginess and silliness quite entertaining to watch, and some of the characters are just downright badass when they want to be.

That's what I figured, and I've read about it as well on occasion. It's a lot more tolerable when it's done in anime, but when it's a real person speaking like that I just feel like giving them a candy bar and telling them that they can stop putting on a face for Big Brother. (Some might even say... for Nii-san :lol:....... :ugh:... is that what he's called in Japanese. omfg I'll die if someone confirms this. :rofl:)

I also like how you're switching to hyperlinking Kalafina videos to punctuation marks, almost like little Easter Eggs. :rofl: