Anime/manga megathread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Fat-Elf, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Man, I am so looking forward to finding out the villain's story in Dragon Ball right now. This arc has been pretty great so far, even the animation quality was consistent for the first 2 episodes :rofl: The latest one not so much.

I'm also kind of annoyed by Beerus and Whis nowadays for some reason.

2. Alberto7

Alberto7 Sillygoose Engineering

^ Likewise. It feels like the show is getting more serious and assuming a more DBZ-like tone.

Beerus and Whis... yeah. I'm not particularly annoyed by them, but I do feel like they're just there for comic relief and a bit of world-building and data-dumping. It feels like they could do so much, given their power and knowledge of the universe, but they just kinda stand there. With that said, whenever they're present, I feel safe :lol: kind of like our heroes can't get hurt, because Whis and Beerus are so ridiculously overpowered and so obsessed with the food they're provided that they'll go to any lengths to protect them. I wonder how they'll react to the new villain.

Sometimes I feel like they shouldn't give even half of the screen time they already do to Krillin, given that he's so useless. Just knowing that he's around is good enough for me to feel like the whole gang is together. :lol:

Pilaf and the dog do annoy me though. I'm happy with just Mai being there, but, unless it's a filler episode, I don't care to see the other two.

3. rampant

rampant SS.org Regular

I just went through the first season of My Hero Academia, which was actually pretty awesome.

I'm impatiently waiting for One Punch Man season 2.

4. Alberto7

Well, that might not come for a while. However, in the meantime, let me ease your pain by referring back to a post in this thread from a few months ago:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4530706-post2283.html

5. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

^ Speaking of Mob Psycho 100...

Scheduled for July 12, the styling is familiar for One Punch Man fans, and looks like it's been made with the same gusto. So expect more of that kind of goofy bonkers insane style of anime.

EDIT: Mob Psycho 100 will actually be available on Crunchyroll over Daisuki this time around.

6. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

I'll just leave this here

[​IMG]

7. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Started AoT (I know, a bit late to the party). Seems cool so far, something about how they animate their faces bothers me a bit but it's just nitpicking.

Also started Ergo Proxy but actually got stuck after a few episodes. Pacing felt a bit slow, I might try to force myself back into it to see if it gets better.

2nd Also- realised I never finished Paranoia Agent as I just moved when I was 2/3 in, and haven't gotten around to finishing it. Might try to do so until next weekend.

8. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

yeah the outlines on their face are really strong or something

9. Cardbird

Cardbird SS.org Regular

Wow, that's nice. Where'd you get it done?

10. Alberto7

:wub::wub:

Oh boy... Ergo Proxy is probably the slowest, densest, and most cerebral anime with a somewhat understandable plot (reason why SEL doesn't count) that I've ever watched, but it is really interesting. I can guarantee it doesn't really get any less confusing. In fact, it might only get more so. :lol: However, it may very well be worth it if you find the subject matter interesting. Also, if you like anime that use references to obscure works of art and literature, this might be the end-all-be-all show in that regard. Actually, the version I watched had all of the references used on each episode after the ending credits, explaining how they were used and what they might represent. It was quite a trip watching it that way, and might be the only reason I understood it. :lol: In fact, my SSO signature (which I never bothered to change) was inspired by the show's use of "cogito, ergo sum" as a main theme. Overall, Ergo Proxy is on a category of its own, I feel, and that makes it hard to compare against its other, more stereotypical anime siblings. If I had to, I'd say it's as though Ghost in the Shell had a love child with Neon Genesis Evangelion. You'll either enjoy it or you won't.

Paranoia Agent was another hard one to watch, as it was really confusing at times. I remember very little of it, but I do remember having a moment where everything just sort of clicked. Really good show. Trippy ass ending though.

11. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

Car wrapping place. It's just a vinyl wrap lol

12. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

The subject is great, and I'm a huge fan of Sci-Fi, I think it was just the pacing... It was so slow I just kinda gave up. But I'll definitely give it another go!

And Paranoia Agent is weird as hell but it's Satoshi Kon so I expected it to be so :lol:

13. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Uncanny Valley

My partner is studying Mechatronics Engineering so i've heard her bang on about it a little bit :lol:

Final Fantasy Spirit Within had this problem too.

I enjoyed AoT although I did find myself getting frustrated at the way it unfolded I won't say why as it's to do with story development. I'm waiting eagerly for S2 though so it's sucked me in :shrug:

14. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

ugh.. dragon ball

such a cocktease :lol:

loved that moment with vegeta and trunks though ;_;

15. Ikiharmaa

Ikiharmaa It's all white.

it's all in the pacing and mood dude.

Honestly, if the first episode doesn't get me going, the anime probably won't be spectacular. Drama almost always goes so that things go up a notch later, so an anime that bores me will maybe go to "ok, that was kind of cool", but not become amazing. There's a lot of information in just a single episode tbh, the mood, the dialogue, the cinematography, attention to details.

it's love at first sight, whether that love can hold true until the end is a different story. That's the conclusion I've come to, so no more giving chances to things I don't enjoy from the first episode :3

16. Alberto7

It's like they got this big chunk of really tasty butter (the plot) but they decide to spread it so thinly on each slice (each episode) that you're left with patches of bread that are virtually un-buttered and taste like nothing but bread. Such is the drawn-out nature of Dragon Ball when the plot gets interesting.

/mandatoryDragonBallcomparisonwithfood

With that said, I think I'm nominating Vegeta as the biggest, baddest, most boundary-breaking, awesomest tsundere in the history of anime. :wub:

Also, I just finished episode 6 of Durarara!! and I friggin' love it so far. It's so damn weird, but so likeable. It reminds me of Soul Eater in the sense that it's got its own unique style, though it's MUCH more subtle than its bombastic and borderline flamboyant sibling. Can't wait to see where this is headed.

17. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

So I finished AoT. Good stuff overall-

- Unpredictable plot (and I mean that in a good way- I didn't know what's going to happen next)
    - They gave time to different characters (instead of focusing only on the protagonist). Could've been done even better but still refreshing.
    - Showed the brutality of war- when people die, they die. And you see it clearly, and you see how it affects their comrades. I really liked that.

One small thing I didn't like-
    After they finished fighting the female titan in the forest, they came back to the city, and next thing we see is them trying to capture Annie- it felt rushed. Armin just suddenly had a splash of genious and figured it out? It felt like there's a missing episode there... It was clear to me it was Annie, but I would've preferred seeing them reaching that conclusion as well.

Now- any recommendations? :lol: I need something with good action (not necessarily non-stop sword fighting) to keep me going, not really in the mood for something slow.

18. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Agreed with the spoiler highlight. That could've easily been remedied if they didn't waste an entire episode for a clip show recollection. I was already sick of them in anime but with Attack On Titan having one was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

I suppose either Sengoku Basara or Kill La Kill are good for non stop action.

I haven't been on the anime binge in a while. I blame the fact that playing Trails Of Cold Steel has taken my anime attention. It's a JRPG with every anime trope known to man, and even paces like one, it's like watching a full 50 episode series with interactive battles. And yes, I love it. :lol:

I still need to start Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans too.. :ugh:

19. Alberto7

I just finished Durarara!! and I am honestly finding it hard to even. It was so, so, so good. Kinda mad at myself that I didn't watch it before. There were very few things I disliked about it. The only two things I'd say, if I had to be picky, are the slight change of pace in the last few episodes, which felt a bit more drawn out, and the fact that one of the characters wasn't provided with a background. With that said, he was developed in a way that made him appear more three-dimensional than he actually was, (e.g. his actions and personality spoke a lot about him) but I also felt as though a background just wasn't necessary for the plot. Regardless, I was still hooked to my screen watching the show from beginning to end.

The characters were relatable and absolutely lovely. Their development was excellent and their backgrounds honestly quite huge considering the cast is large and it was only 23 episodes. Each individual had their own, very strong and well-defined personality. The way the plot was developed was fantastic and the narrative had a really cool structure. It felt like several pieces of thread that began completely unrelated to each other and were slowly and beautifully knitted together, with each thread meeting at the same time towards the end. Each character had at least one episode which they would narrate from their point of view and personality. I thought the dialogue was really good. The way humour was used and mixed with the seriousness of each situation was really good, and it reminded me of a Tarantino film, although Tarantino has a tendency to mix a more absurd kind of funny with the grotesque rather than serious. That, and the score was perfect. Recurring themes and songs all the way through, with new soundtracks appearing every now and again, which makes the OST less repetitive, while staying familiar to the viewer and making them feel like there is an overall, developing theme.

I will say though, that the first half (the show is divided in two, as most 20+ episode anime are) was extremely satisfying, and starting anew in the middle of it felt like a bit of a drag at the time. However, it picks up very quickly with themes and plot points established during the first half. It was all extremely satisfying through and through.

I loved that the show leaves one key plot point open ended while completely acknowledging that it did, making it clear that, in the interest of the characters, it just isn't really relevant. Namely:
    Celty's head, which she just accepted she didn't need and the show makes sure the viewer understands why. Normally, I'd ask more questions, and it would be cool to know more about her, sure, but they've made her interesting enough as it is, and if the character is satisfied with who she is and what she's got, then why shouldn't I be as well? That's also what the light novels are for.
    Then there's that sort of one-dimensional character I talked about,
    Izaya,
    who I hope is developed further in the second season or in the novels. It would be a real sham not to develop such an interesting character.

I didn't mean for this to turn into this mini-review, but I guess it did anyway. :lol: I was kind of developing my thoughts as I wrote.

Anybody seen the Durarara!! x2?? Is it worth it, or should I just leave it at that? I hear it isn't as good as the first one, but I'd be curious to see what they could do next.

Now, on to Baccano!

20. Alberto7

I watched a small part of an episode. It felt very different from other Gundam that I've watched. It actually felt like a Gundam I could finally get along with, which might or might not be a good thing for someone who likes what Gundam already is. :lol: