Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by bulb, Dec 25, 2008.

1. isomorphic

isomorphic Banned

albums generally have a connection between artwork and how they're produced, so you're not wrong

2. glassmoon0fo

glassmoon0fo Some Say...

I've been recovering from surgery for the past two days, and dude, siting in a sterile environment with nothing to do but think lends itself so well to this album. I've probably spun it 10 times today while in and out of medicated sleep, and I don't know how else to say, but it was amazing to have there for me. Ended up loving this album a lot sooner than I thought I would.

3. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

A lot of the songs I'm digging on the second or third listen. Ectogenesis reminds me a lot of Altered State style riffs.

Cannot wait to see these guys play some of these riffs live!

4. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I'm digging this album a lot. This seems odd, but I actually seem to prefer the sterile sound for AaL. I wasn't a huge fan of how tJoM sounded but this sounds like the AaL I fell in love with. For whatever weird reason, the more full and "organic" tones make it sound like plain old guitar wankery for me, while more sterile production gives off this cold futuristic vibe that fits the hypertechnical music to me.

5. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I dig it from the short snippets I've heard, getting Weightless vibes from it.

However, does anyone feel like there is too much slapping? It felt like it was almost every song or so.

Just my quick thoughts, need to give it a full listen though.

6. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

This album sounds like a drummer jamming over top of a really really long practice/jam session. It doesn't sound like 'songs' to me. Additionally, I really dislike the sound of the guitars. Way too much use of a really trebley single-coil/piezo mixture sound. Hurts the ears after a few songs.

7. Fraz666

Fraz666 SS.org Regular

Unfortunately, I agree

8. ShadowsfeaR

ShadowsfeaR aka VigilSerus

Hard for Tosin not to, considering he literally just dropped a DVD called "Thump" :lol:

9. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

I remember when TJOM came out and people said the same things about it. "Just sounds like riffs strewn together, I can't follow it" etc. etc. and I have to admit, I'm starting to see why people get that impression. It still is cool to me though to see what they come up with when they're left to do things themselves. I like the dynamics this time around, not such a brickwalled mix and a little more experimental.

10. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Seeing Animals As Leaders / Plini / Intervals on 12/12. I've seen AAL once before, this'll be the first time for Plini and Intervals. Super excited.

11. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

You're in for a treat, Plini is amazing live!

12. Erockomania

Erockomania Studio Geek

I actually like a couple of the songs on this album better than all previous albums. "Slaps Face" (had to look that up, lol) is one. It's probably my fave tune from them. However, I'm WAYY over the slapping technique. Unfortunately, it's become a massive part of his/their sound. It's so distinctive and annoying (to me) that I can't really listen to the album and enjoy it fully. It's basically a promo for the "THUMP" DVD, which I wasn't too happy about as now we'll hear that more than ever, lol. To each his own tho. Just my opinion which really doesn't matter.

13. 7soundz

7soundz SS.org Regular

Being completely honest, I get the point that Tosin and Javier are outstanding players, but it seems like with each album they tend to focus on "Hey look what we can do" rather than actually playing music that can invoke a genuine emotion.
    On the newest album, "Private Visions of the World" and "Inner Assassins" are perhaps two of the few songs that I personally like with everything else sounding like a barrage of drums and endless thumping. On the guitar tone, I also agree with previous comments in that it just doesn't sound very good and it can be quite annoying if you listen to it for an extended period.

While this may not be the best comparison, I also listen to "technical" players like Andy James, Aaron Marshall and Plini etc and they are good examples (to me at least) of the perfect blend of technique and song writing. I don't dislike Animals as Leaders and nor do I regret buying the new album, but I do think they could have done much better on this album by bringing something new to their listeners.

14. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

I guess I don't understand why a single band needs to be a catch all. No one listens to only one band. I mean, I get that when we voice our criticisms that doesn't mean we hate it or can't stand it or anything like that, but AAL is technical prog. It's great for what it is. If I'm in the mood for something more melodic, I'll just listen to something more melodic. But gersh dern, if I'm in the mood for technical prog, there isn't much better.

Seems like every artist putting out their fourth album (or more) receives a lot more criticism than praise these days. The first album is "fresh", "inspired", etc., and by number four it's "repetitive", "bland", "uninspired", etc. Sometimes it's remarkably sad how short our attention spans are.

Alright, I'm off my soap box. Carry on and have a great day.

15. Big_taco

Big_taco SS.org Regular

All the complaints I see about this album are the same complaints made about every album since the first.

I dig it, it has their character and, to me, sounds like they're playing off of each other more. I liked Weightless a lot though so whadda I know.

16. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Okay, I've only listened to it once but I enjoyed it. Ectogenesis stands out to me, if only for that awesome synth in the beginning. I'll echo what others have said; it sounds like AAL, particularly more like an extension of Weightless, which I actually enjoyed, so I'm totally okay with this album. I don't think I'll have this on constant rotation but I'll definitely be listening to it more.

17. Cnev

Cnev SS.org Regular

Probably the most "whatever" I've ever felt about an album. I appreciate the technicality and skill, but it's creatively vacant and boringly repetitive. It sounds like a group of very skilled and technical musicians making very skilled and technical music for the sake of making very skilled and technical music. Technically impressive, but incredibly boring and uninteresting.

18. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

I remember the days of listening to albums without hearing anyone else's opinion or reading a single review. Now everyone has the super power of determining how good/bad an album is after one listen. There is a guy on youtube called needledrop(?) that posts video reviews of multiple albums and somehow has 800k subscribers. Are people looking to be told what to think that badly?

More to your point; I think that sometimes it's cool to hate something after it's not the new hotness anymore. It's exhausting to have to be so critical of everything and trying to be the smartest guy in the room. It's way more exciting and freeing to find something that you like about it.

19. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Nah, people are looking for either validation, someone to argue with, or like minded people. Also, some people just like to know either way what other people think about things, in particular things that they like, and to see the other side of the coin.

People have been reviewing albums, books, movies etc for a really long time.

20. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

I'm willing to bet if you did a breakdown of people wanting those things 90% are looking for validation. Yes there are 10% looking at the other side, but have you ever told someone that a band they like isn't good or you don't like them? This look comes over their face for a split second of "i don't know what to say" or "could I be wrong?"

Yeah people have been reviewing things for such a long time, but it never become what it is now where sites/reviewers can sway public opinion on an album pretty quickly.