Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by bulb, Dec 25, 2008.

1. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

Structurally it's probably one of the better songs they've done, though it still has that signature AAL repetition and need for more creative development :coffee: The ideas and themes advanced aren't bad, but they're not interesting enough to carry a seven minute piece on their own and the aforementioned lack of development wears on the ear. The section from 4:42 to 5:42 is pretty good, but getting that far in is a slog. The section after it is alright too, but ending the piece with a repeat of the section from 2:25 is disappointing.

2. ProtoTechDeath

ProtoTechDeath SS.org Regular

You guys are silly, this new song is f**king sick.

3. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

nope, this new song is very not good

4. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

It might be different, but the new song is gorgeous. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of acoustic work, but this one really held my interest. The rhythmic play this song has is just too fun to listen to!

5. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

First listen: WTF? I don't like this

2nd listen 2 hours later: This isn't bad.

This will grow on me. I hated Joy of Motion on first listen.

How some of you guys write off a song/band that you've like previously after one listen is really beyond me.

6. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

I much prefer the more beautiful AAL stuff than their more straight tech metal early stuff. JoM was their best for me. It had beauty with tech. The Brain Dance is great to me for this reason; it's just super pretty and nothing sounds very forced to me. I really struggle with their early stuff pre JoM. Same with Periphery I, its just a complete struggle for me, II I like, Jug. I greatly enjoy, and PIII is album of the year for me so far (followed by Deftones' Gore)

7. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Definitely agree on weird farty tone, and how messy it is...

I still really like it, it's interesting, I'm really enjoying the direction of AAL.. I liked the S/T but mostly for their more cleaner songs, and Joy of Motion had a lot more of that and sounds like this will too.

8. JP Universe

JP Universe Giggity Contributor

After one listen....

Felt like it was building to something and that never came. Will give it another listen and see if it grows on me but it felt 'average'

9. Supernaut

Supernaut SS.org Regular

I love it, has a cool classical guitar vibe meets jazz fusion.

10. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

I found it really refreshing in a world of Prog/Djent/Anythingwith8stringguitars it's nice to hear something less intense. It is a bit of an odd choice for a lead single seeing as its the type of song that divides peoples opinion, but then again I'd be disappointed if it was just crowd pleasing shred-chug-repeat for 5 minutes.

11. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Not a bad 7 minutes of music. Nice atmosphere despite the uber-prickly acoustic sound nearly ruining it.

12. whatupitsjoe

whatupitsjoe SS.org Regular

I found it enjoyable but a bit over my head. Looking forward to the rest of the record

13. cslushy

cslushy SS.org Regular

I honestly think that the classical guitars sound really good. If I had an issue with any tone it was the overly fuzzy distorted guitars.

14. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

New song is pretty good, and naturally I'm very excited for the new album.

15. glassmoon0fo

glassmoon0fo Some Say...

the confusion seems to go away when you take a little time to count through the signatures. I felt like this song didn't have anything to say at first, then i went through and kept the pulse, found its mostly easy to pat to, and the phrases made WAY more sense to me. Next thing I know, listening to 7 min of music goes by so easily.

I think AAL has always been the kind of music that takes digestion, and I've always known that Tosin is not the type of artist to write just to please his audience. I'd call that artistic integrity, and if they're going to have integrity, I'm going to take the time to digest their work and appreciate where their head is at.

Digging it a lot.

16. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Did anyone see Tosin post his new pro tone pedal on IG and then he completely removed it? Was he out of line and announced it too soon? Not that I would ever buy a pedal from Protone I was just wondering if anyone else saw that so I'm not crazy :lol:

17. Big_taco

Big_taco SS.org Regular

Saw that as well.

18. QuantumCybin

Okay good lol. I was surprised to see him with a Pro Tone signature considering their reputation (at least I think so) has sort of taken a hit, what with people showing shoddy workmanship and being overpriced. The Misha pedal got a pretty lukewarm reception, didn't it?

19. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

Misha's pedal was super great, but it was built by protone which was pretty bad. I had one and it never left my house but it paint pealed off of it. Misha is actually starting his own pedal line.

20. QuantumCybin

Ah, okay. I just remember hearing some people being upset with the workmanship and the electronics used in their pedals. I was just wondering why he took the picture down within like an hour or two of posting it; my guess is he spoke too soon.