Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by bulb, Dec 25, 2008.

1. isomorphic

isomorphic Banned

Oh my god Inamorata sounds perfect on the encore edition. Over 6 minutes of intercourse with my ears

Rest of the album is too aside from the really loud snare on the unreleased track

2. ayaotd

ayaotd SS.org Regular

Going to have to listen to this later. Interested to see how they made everything sound. Did they re-record parts or just remix/master?

3. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

It's remastered?

I would think they would have advertised that if true.

4. ayaotd

ayaotd SS.org Regular

I assumed it would be. You are right though, it does not appear to be.

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

It sounds exactly the same through Spotify (well, Tempting Time does at least), I guess the only way to be sure would be to compare non-compressed versions, but I doubt they'd be different.

There's actually three "bonus" tracks, Wave of Babies, Kalimba and Orea. Wave of Babies isn't marked as such, for some reason, I guess cause everyone's heard it already :D

6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I don't know if I'd buy a remaster of an album from 2009, but I like this song.

7. Inceptic

Inceptic SS.org Regular

I'm not at my studio, but even on Spotify, it sounds re-mastered to me.

8. wankerness

Save both of them to files and do a double blind comparison (ex, the program "ABX"), if you can actually pass the margin of error in identifying which sample came from which "version" I'd be surprised. I don't think this is a remaster, if it is it's a very subtle one that they're not even bothering to advertise as a difference from the original. I'm guessing any difference you're hearing is psychological and coming from forgetting exactly what you heard in the previous track. The fact not a single track on the album starts with the drums going full tilt right away at second one makes it more difficult to be sure since spotify makes you start at the beginning of the tracks every time you click between them. I dunno how Spotify audio gets there, either, I guess it's possible they were using different compression algorithms back in 2008 or whenever they uploaded the debut compared to now, or had different volume levels set or something.

Maybe if I see a physical copy in a store I'll buy it and compare actual lossless audio (no way am I buying the FLACs of this if it isn't a remaster just to check if it's a remaster or not!!). Still, I just can't imagine they wouldn't be hyping the heck out of it being a remaster if it had been changed in any way, since every other remaster I've ever been aware of, even bad ones or ones that were so similar as to be pointless, has that word slathered all over the marketing for it since it's a word that will make people rebuy it, especially an album like this which doesn't have a rep for having great sound. This doesn't mention anything about different audio either on the label's site or the band's bandcamp page, both of which are actively trying to sell you copies of it.

9. jovima69

jovima69 SS.org Regular

Saw these guys live this past Friday night, with The Contortionist and Between the Buried and Me. AAL blew me away. We all know these guys are top shelf musicians, but seeing them live gave me a whole new perspective and appreciation for the band. Flawless, and on-point performance that gave me goose bumps through the entire set. They broke out the acoustics, which shifted the gears a bit, in a fantastic way. If you haven't had the opportunity to see these guys live yet, I highly recommend checking them out. These guys are a Rush level trio. THOROUGHLY impressed with their live performance. :bowdown:

10. elkinz

elkinz Pun Enthusiast

Seen them every single time they've been in New Zealand :) Cant wait for next time! Its always amazing everytime

11. Dithinas

Dithinas SS.org Regular

There are some slight differences, most noticeably with the drums. Overall, the volume/velocity of the ghost notes are much louder/higher.

The drum arrangements are a bit different as well, here are the ones I've noticed.

• Tempting Time: Snare flam added to the ending of tempting time (~5:08)

• Thoroughly at Home: An extra hi-hat hit was added on the '3' of that bar (~0:35) to make it similar to the same lick later on (~1:11)
    • The whole drum arrangement for the outro of On Impulse was changed
    I'm sure there's more, but this is just what I noticed after a couple listens.

Edit: I also forgot about the weird, jarring noise in Inamorata is missing in the intro part (~0:33)

12. PlumbTheDerps

PlumbTheDerps SS.org Regular

Dude, no. Mind=Spun is kind of janky and annoying, but that riff on Tooth and Claw is legendary:

40 seconds.

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The drums in CAFO ruin that song for me. There's some sort of cymbal going most of the whole way through that song that kills it for me. If the remaster fixes that, I'd start to think about ordering the remaster.

14. AugmentedFourth

AugmentedFourth X:1 K:C [c^f]|

I partially agree. "Mind = Spun" largely has no redeeming qualities, but "Tooth & Claw" certainly does. But for me it's mostly the part @3:11. The melody is very well done and does not hit any notes at the same time as the harmony underneath except at the very first note, which is pretty fresh. Also the clean bit before it is cool. The main theme however, leaves something to be desired, as do the seemingly pointless chug sections throughout.

15. wankerness

I couldn't detect a difference with CAFO, if there's a difference it's very subtle. The cymbals basically sound the same to me.

16. Totem_37

Totem_37 Earth's Yellow Sun

mod edit: spam the thread of a large artist to promote your band again and you will get a lengthy break from posting

17. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

First track off Javiers new Mestis EP/LP. I was personally hoping for more of the latin vibe that was on the first EP, this just sounds like AaL, with it's djenty progs.

18. isomorphic

isomorphic Banned

sounds like a TJOM b-side

19. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

Not a huge fan of this first track, but I don't find it bad, really. I know people don't usually use this term when describing music, but to me I get this sense that it's useless. I don't know how to describe it any more eloquently than that.

20. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

Pura Vida sounded like one of those happy, kind of chill tracks you play while enjoying your summer. Maybe a good tune to drive to, as well. I dig it. \m/