Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by bulb, Dec 25, 2008.

1. AugmentedFourth

AugmentedFourth X:1 K:C [c^f]|

Maybe my perspective is just different because I don't really listen to metal, but I honestly couldn't care less even if the guy wrote songs and had other people play them. He would still be in my top 5 current musicians.

Technical proficiency is pretty far down there for me in terms of how I 'judge' people. Technical proficiency is, however, great when you are a writer because you can use those techniques as you write which is very intuitive and conducive to the creative process. But if you can't play your own stuff, so be it. Think of the entirety of classical music. Do we ever listen to pieces as played by the composer? No, not usually. Heck, I program the drums in my music. Do I feel guilty? No. I still wrote every note.

And @Addison90, I understand your sentiment but I'd just keep in mind that that isn't every AAL fan... Maybe I just say that defensively because (not trying to toot my own horn) I myself have a good grasp of a fair amount of music theory, and I listen primarily to jazz, classical, etc. But Tosin really is a talented composer.

And people talking about musical complexity and the ability to pick apart and analyze vs. 'emotional content'..... I can't believe people still compare these like they are mutually exclusive. :wallbash:

For me at least, the nuance and (music theory-wise) complexity in songs is what makes them emotionally strong.

Emotions aren't simple, and music isn't either. Coincidence? Think again. To make a generalized observation: if I listen to a song that is of the sort that I can come back later and pick apart and analyze all of the nuance, complexities, etc., it's much more likely that I derive true enjoyment from listening. It doesn't require that I pick apart the song, but I'll do that anyways because, heck, it's one of my favorite things to do in the world.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. :(

2. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

Hey, now, take it easy...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :lol:

kamello likes this.
  3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Who's that last guy? Reverse image search didn't work on that one.

4. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

In my opinion a lot of music theory is "flawed" and I don't pay attention to it. If you know intervals and maybe the names of the notes that's pretty much everything you need. Most (all) of the time signature theories/discussions are useless in my opinion. I guess Meshuggah was the first band to truly realize this as far as I know. I don't really even think time signatures exist, but that's just my approach.

5. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

Thats me hahahahahaha (hence why I took such offense at the tele jab)

6. Wings of Obsidian

Wings of Obsidian Banned

I saw John 5, Jo from The Safety Fire, and Stephen Carpenter on the last page and just started laughing like an idiot.....and I didn't even read the post or know what it's about.

(Of course I went back and read everything later.)

7. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Okay now I've definitely struck a chord with this album.

I've been studying for my finals and today I decided to leave this album playing as I focused on my 3rd final. There's so many intriguing moments in the album that I'd just be boring everyone by listing them all. These guys are just monsters, and even if you can't appreciate what they're doing now I can't imagine what they're going to be putting out next.

Also, interestingly enough, while I was consciously giving the album a listen the groove in The Woven Web didn't catch me like a lot of people did. However when it was playing in the background today, that part really pulled me from what I was doing.

8. jmeezle

jmeezle SS.org Regular

9. afaultinthecrust

afaultinthecrust Member

So has anyone figured out what the little sweep thing he's doing during mind-spun is?

10. ScottyB724

ScottyB724 SS.org Regular

Not that anyone in this thread has specifically said his leads have no soul, but if the leads in Ka$cade, Air Chrysalis, Another Year, TFTAM, etc. have no soul, then I sure as fuck hope I am soulless.

11. fungwabus117

fungwabus117 SS.org Regular

Does anyone know how Nolly achieved any clarity on the low E in Trilian? Nolly if you read this, a response from you would be great! Whenever I try the low E, you can kinda hear the note, but it doesn't really pound through like it seems to on the album. Obviously there is a limitation to the instrument itself in this regard, but there's probably some Trilian tricks as far as getting that low E.

12. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

First video of him playing this. Pretty tight!

13. Alicat

Alicat SS.org Regular

This album is great. I can't decide what I'm looking forward to hearing live more - TJOM or Weightless - I just need to wait for AAL to tour in the UK to find out!

On that note, does anyone know when they last came to the UK? I remember seeing them supporting BTBAM in Birmingham, maybe in 2010.

14. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Well I'm glad you've attempted to intellectually justify your willful ignorance?!

15. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

I kind of see where he's coming from.. though I don't agree that music theory is flawed. rather, it's a mechanism that helps us quantify it's concepts so they're easier to learn and then apply to music. yeah, I totally agree that rhythm is innate in humans; after all our brains reward us every time a pattern is recognized.

I think of music theory and it's relationship to 'music' like any language and it's grammatical infrastructure. English for example, can be learned and spoken without the ability to read or understand grammar; just ask your parents when you started talking and think back to when you finally learned to read. most likely, you were able to communicate your ideas (albeit rather crudely) pre-literacy. thankfully once we became literate we gained an overall optimal awareness and mastery of English as a whole. right? it's because of this we can express sarcasm, catharsis, joy, levity and a myriad of other complex ideas at will. theory allows musicians to do the same, but unfortunately it isn't conventionally taught as a language. furthermore I think the lack of theory is what keeps a lot of us as musicians from progressing. how many of y'all have ever been stuck in some kind of creative void? or been lost during a jam session? if you had a massive musical vocabulary and a grasp of theory, its likely you'd be able to interpret what's being 'said' and reply to the musical conversation in kind and even lead it in another direction.

in my opinion.
    :2c:

16. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

This doesn't make any sense....Theory is not a set of rules you HAVE TO USE once you know them, its like knowing how to do complicated math. Sure, you may rarely ever use it, but when the time comes its a lot easier to figure something out when you know how everything needs to line up to get the "answer" you're looking for. Rhythmic theory is even more important. If you can't count, you can't play, period. Even guys who don't know they are counting are doing it if they are actually playing in time with another musician. Guitarist often get so stuck in "guitar music" and playing patterns and licks that they forget its a chromatic instrument with all of the notes, not just the scale shapes you can memorize. I know I'd rather play a riff off the top of my head and go "Oh, shit, thats in A minor with a flatted fifth and a raised seventh" and already have a stream of possible next parts than go "Huh, fifth fret, eighth fret, sixth fret on the A string, ....what comes after that?"

17. WildBroskiAppears

WildBroskiAppears SS.org Regular

I love watching Tosin play. Sometimes you can see him questioning why he writes such technically difficult music :lol:

Seriously though, sometimes you can see him struggle a little; the whole secondary tapping section of that Woven Web playthrough (before the slap) seemed like he was just barely holding it together, and I actually really dig that. It's cool to see him actually TRYING to pull off ridiculously hard riffs. Everyone here can relate to that :lol:

18. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

I don't have to use anything I don't like and I know music theory and rhythm theory. It's just a language to communicate things to other musicians. Only a handful of music rules are comparable to mathematics, most are not. You can do math wrong, but you can't do music explicitly wrong.

I haven't learned that many scale shapes though, but I do learn them once I try to compose something on top of some rhythm I've created. Sometimes I do jump from one scale (or mode if you will) to others depending on what the background is. I forget of lot of the patterns I've learned because I do not use them that much. I don't play as much as I used to I guess. I think getting used to scale patterns limits you, because you can also "play out" sometimes and it does not always sound bad.

I do not consider myself willfully ignorant, but there's a stuff I've seen in music theory that I personally consider useless and not very logical. Like the whole theory behind naming chords. It works a lot of times, but not so well when your chord is composed for example the root, 4th, 6th and 9th. It simply makes no sense to me seeing chords like that named with a different root (i.e. not the lowest note) just because we have no marking for that chord (at least that I know of). It's not logical to me. I don't know if that made any sense.

19. JoeyW

JoeyW SS.org Regular

No offence man, but you seem to have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. If you actually understood the application of chord inversions you would understand that there's nothing illogical about it. Do yourself a favor and read up on the topic since your "brilliant deduction" suggests you only see music through a very narrow lens.

20. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

The album sure is great, but it hasn't really clicked with me yet. I think it's because the production is so different from the previous two albums.