Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by bulb, Dec 25, 2008.

1. TheHereticSlade

TheHereticSlade SS.org Regular

I wonder if Nolly did the bass in the Woven Web, or did they program the bass like in their previous albums ?
    It sounds too good to be programmed :hbang:

2. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

3. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

Bass was not programmed at least on self-titled (not sure about weightless). It was a guitar pitch shifted an octave lower.

4. ScottyB724

ScottyB724 SS.org Regular

Almost positive I read somewhere Nolly played all the bass on the new album.

5. Pandaonslaught

Pandaonslaught SS.org Regular

I'm waiting patiently for that iTunes email to come through. "your pre order is ready for download"

6. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

There's bass on a lot of tracks, during the guitar solo on Kaskade in particular stood out. I don't know the process to pitch shift a guitar down an octave and turn it to bass, but it sounds really fat and BASS-LIKE so I'm guessing it's either really great programmed tone or a real bass.

7. Sebski

Sebski SS.org Regular

I find Physical Education really frustrating to listen to just because it doesn't really go any where. When that 'chorus' comes in for the last time, I was expecting it to be like the climax of the song but it just cuts off and fades out on a groove. It just feels really lazy.

Ka$cade is probably my favourite just for its consistency as a track. There isn't a dull moment in it.

I was a bit disappointed by the last two tracks. I think Misha got his hands on Nephele - the intro and outro riff sounds very Periphery-ish, which isn't a good thing here. It seems a bit tasteless.

Para Mexer is brilliant, for the first half at least - the kinda metal-y second-to-last section is a bit of a let-down.

But still, I really enjoyed it and I prefer it way more than Weightless, there's just quite a few things to pick at.

8. Pweaks

Pweaks SS.org Regular

Nephele is written completely by Javier.

9. wankerness

I think your criticism of Physical Education is very accurate, it's the simplest and has the least stuff happening, but the groove is just so bizarre and unlike anything else I'd ever heard that I loved it anyway. It's one of the standout tracks imo.

Mind = Spun feels like it's just an attempt to have AWESOME RIFFS. This would bug me normally, but these riffs really are awesome. I love almost every riff in the song and I think the title implies that they knew exactly how silly it was. I liked it a lot.

I thought Nephele was easily one of the best tracks on there, it does sound a bit more Djent-like I guess but I really liked the riffs throughout and thought it was interesting to end with the darkest track.

10. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

I thought Physical Education was one of the best song from the album. The middle section is just the perfect combination of melody, rhythm, orchestration and tone and the chorus, even though a little obscure, is so catchy.

It's got a little stuff happening, but dang, I don't even care.

11. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Para Mexer and The Woven Web are my jamz! Love em'!

12. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

I LOVE how they've given so much thought to the grooves in this album... Seriously loving it so far.

13. Sebski

Sebski SS.org Regular

Genuinely very surprised. It sounds very Periphery-ish.

14. Sebski

Sebski SS.org Regular

I wanted to give a crack at writing a music review, something I've always wanted to get into but never had the time to, but I just got back from work and sat down for the last couple hours drafting this.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, English-wise that is, and of course I'm interested to know if anyone feels similarly about the album.

Also remember this is a review i.e. my personal opinion, so try not to get aggy at me if it looks like I'm writing facts. I just shouldn't need to write 'I think' before every thought.

Keep in mind I was writing this on UG so it follows their strict format of Sound; Lyrics; Overall.

15. isispelican

isispelican SS.org Regular

16. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

^ Dafuq?!

I know I've seen Tosin playing a black DC800 before, but I never even knew that Javier used them.

17. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

Didn't see that coming

18. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

Nolly did indeed put down the bass tracks with his Dingwall. Octave down low E!
    Also, on the untitled record it was pitch shifted guitar, and on Weightless it was a synth bass (NI Massive playing sine waves, I believe).

19. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

My guess is he loved them when he tried them, and so when his contract with Ibanez was up for negotiation he jumped over to Carvin.

20. wankerness

What? When on the album does this ever happen? Never really noticed it going below standard five string range.