Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by bulb, Dec 25, 2008.

1. avinu

avinu SS.org Regular

If I'm not mistaken Tempting Time has something to do with growing old and feeling the pressure/anxiety of one's inevitable demise.

And Nephele is a cloud or something in Greek mythology but also shows up in the Bible as well (same meaning) so that would go along with the whole biblical theme.:yesway:

Also The Woven Web and Mind-Spun seem like they're sister songs to me. I'm expecting Mind-Spun to be a shred fest haha:scream:

2. Gunnar

Gunnar SS.org Regular

Just want to say that everyone should read 1Q84, it is by far the best book I have ever read. and by the way, Animals as Leaders got its name from a book by Daniel Quinn called Ishmael, which is also definitely worth a read and is another favorite of mine.

3. Apatheosis

Apatheosis ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ

Seconding this, Murakami is genuine genius story-telling. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is another incredible Murakami novel that everyone should read if they get a chance.

Back on topic, I'll update my original post to reflect new information after we get a few more contributions. Some really interesting stuff so far guys, thanks!

4. in-pursuit

in-pursuit SS.org Regular

other than Odessa being a city in the Ukraine, I don't really have much to offer other than the casual observation that most of the song titles on the first album seem to deal with the process of self realization in general and seem to be fairly literal. in fact, if you consider that Tosin has talked fairly openly about his experience with meditation together with the general progression of his musical evolution and the manner in which the band has developed, it all kind of fits together quite nicely. the first album being very highly energetic, literal, direct, self focused and driven, the second album being more collaborative, less urgent, more contemplative and sparse.

Evolution is a pretty gradual process most of the time, I don't think we'll be likely to see an album as focused as the self titled for a while yet. all just based on my casual observations of course, I'm more than likely way off in my assumptions.

5. Runner

Runner SS.org Regular

Song of Solomon is one of the books of the Old Testament.
    Lingua Franca used to be a mediterranian trade language (i.e Italian mixed with French, Arabic, Greek etc.), and it became a generic name for languages that are used for communication with people from around the world, esp. regarding trade, science, diplomacy and so on. In that sense, English would be the modern lingua franca...

6. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

Wave of Babies is definitely a homestar reference, specifically from Teen Girl Squad. My avatar is from the same episode.

7. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Would explain the music video.

I also think that some of the titles are just describing the feel(ing) of the song i.e Weightless.

8. whilstmyguitardjentlyweep

whilstmyguitardjentlyweep SS.org Regular

at the moment :ugh:

9. ROAR

ROAR oaf tobar

Odessa, Texas

10. Techdeath

Techdeath SS.org Regular

Lol! Quoted to spread awareness

11. AugmentedFourth

AugmentedFourth X:1 K:C [c^f]|

I highly doubt that "Nephele" is a biblical reference seeing as he is a Greek deity.

"New Eden", however.....

EDIT:
    From Alfred Lord Tennyson's "In Memoriam A. H. H." (1850):

[emphasis added]

12. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

Really cool analysis on the song titles. Colour me interested. :) Also, taking up that recommendation on Murakami. I've been eyeing his work lately and reading about him. I'm really interested.

Also, is anyone going to the Montreal show tomorrow night? I just bought tickets on a total whim; I didn't even remember they were coming until 10 mins ago. :lol: I'm going with two other people, one of which has heard of them but never sat down to actually listen to their music, and the other one is completely unfamiliar with them. I expect to see their minds explode. I hope I can get them to appreciate the band more.

13. Nykur_Myrkvi

Nykur_Myrkvi SS.org Regular

I think I witnessed something similar when I saw them.

When Tosin did the multi-octave tap thing in CAFO a guy standing in front of me turned back and yelled "HOW DO YOU SAY NO TO THAT?!" with his eyes wide open. :lol:

14. AndruwX

AndruwX The Irregular

Guys, what if we tab Tooth and Claw?
    I'm not that good figuring shit by ear, but if we do it together I think me can make some progress.

If you want to help here I leave the minimun tabbing I did, I'm not even sure if it's correct, for that reason I'm counting on you.

Tooth and Claw

Thanks to everyone who helps

15. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Norwegian Wood is probably his most well-known book. I'm halfway through it and it's amazing. :hbang:

16. Alberto7

So, we got two new AAL converts. :D

AAL kicked ass tonight. It was my first time seeing them live, and they did not disappoint one bit; entirely living up to the hype. They played four new songs, I believe: they opened with Tooth and Claw, they played Lippincott, and they also played Cascade. They played another one that I didn't recognize at all, but it was really cool; I assume that was another new one. They did a sort of medley with songs from the self-titled, which was insanely cool and probably my favorite part of the whole set. For one song Javier got his .strandberg* out and Tosin his Toone. I hated the Toone on pictures, but holy shit is it amazing in person! Really strange and interesting instrument. I'm not sure what song they played with them; it was either one of the new ones, or something by Javier. I'm also not super familiar with the entirety of Weightless, so there's a chance it might have been from that album. Overall, they alone could have made my night. Really cool live band. Would go see them again for sure.

Opening band (I forget their name) was good, although their music was a little too chaotic for my liking. Their guitar tone also hurt my ears simply because the trebble was really shrill. But it's okay, I brought ear plugs. :flex:

After The Burial were really good and tight and put on a good show. That's when the crowd really started going nuts. It's a shame I'm not really into their music, but I did enjoy their set a lot even if just because everybody was so pumped. EDIT: I forgot to add that they were missing their bassist because he wasn't allowed to cross the US-Canadian border :( such a shitty thing. I think it was their rhythm guitarist doing the bass parts. I was quite upset about it, even though I don't really follow them. Either way, they slayed by any standards.

It was a VERY nice surprise seeing Navene showcase some of his electronic stuff, too. I had read somewhere that he was touring with AAL, but I totally didn't remember. Heck, I didn't even recognize him when he was testing his drum kit, even though he ran into some technical problems before starting his set and spent like 20 minutes just fixing things. I thought he was one of the techs. :rolleyes: Of course, he then proceeded to melt my face. It's friggin' sick what he's doing. I convinced my sister to get a shirt from him haha. He was standing at the merch booth talking to everybody throughout the entire show and taking care of his own merch by himself. Really cool dude, even though I tried to keep it short.

All in all, I am very pleased with my first AAL experience. 10/10 would bang again.

EDIT: sorry I keep updating this post, but I sporadically remember details as the experience sinks in. I realized I really like Tooth and Claw, even though it was very underwhelming the first time I heard it upon release. It's just such a killer live song. Also, their tone was ridiculous. Throughout the entire gig I was afraid it was going to sound very "meh," since I really did not dig the sound of all the other bands (aside from Navene K), but as soon as AAL began to play it felt like someone was pouring sheer pleasure directly into my brain and ears.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  17. ayaotd

ayaotd SS.org Regular

Show in Toronto was great. Except After The Burials set was only six songs iorc AND they only had four members. Their bassist could not get into Canada. Justin played bass for the night and they only had one guitar going. New AAL material was absolutely amazing, Navene's set was one of the coolest things I have seen live.

18. ScottyB724

ScottyB724 SS.org Regular

Can anyone tell me roughly when AAL's set has been starting? Trying to see if I can make it after work Friday or if I should hit up the Milwaukee show the next day instead.

19. Alberto7

The show began at 7:30pm (in theory... I didn't actually check the time), and AAL started playing at about 10:15pm or so (which I did check). They did have some technical difficulties throughout the show though, so it got delayed a tiny bit. I'd say be there at 9:30-10pm. Although you should be there for Navene's set, which is second in line (assuming there's a local band playing first) and is just as good as AAL's show.

20. ScottyB724

ScottyB724 SS.org Regular

Nice I should make it just fine then, thanks. I was looking forward to Navene's set but will sadly probably just miss it.