Andy James FFDP

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Bdtunn, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Andy James is filling in for Jason hook on the five figure death punch tour. A pc of me died a bit. But I can’t blame him to get a large pay cheque.

Musiscience and Kenneth Gurholt like this.
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Gotta make bank somehow.

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Andy also recently joined Butcher Babies. Poor dude copped a lot of flak for it on his IG.

Honestly, good on him for getting some high profile gigs. You have to keep yourself busy other than just doing the socials or playing instrumentals to a backing track. And Andy is already a touring vet so he'd be the right choice. And yeah, income playing music is the dream after all.

Jeesan, ImNotAhab and Mathemagician like this.
  4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Also both those bands have new fans that might not have learned about him otherwise. Awesome gigs for him on both counts. Haters gonna hate and all that.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Anyone who hates on a player for taking high profile gigs like this is an asshole.

Curt, mlp187, TimmyPage and 39 others like this.
  6. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Good for him. He is a great player and that's a serious gig.

7. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Can’t hate on a dude for making a living. Would be nice to see him in a band that might actually make use of his abilities. I enjoy his playing, but I don’t often listen to instrumental stuff, so something in a band context that showcased that would be cool.

8. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

Can't hate on a player for doing something 99% of us would also do, if we were given the chance.

9. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

He was in Sacred Mother Tongue, which was awesome if you're into mid/late 00's metalcore ala As I Laying Dying or August Burns Red.

Jeesan, setsuna7 and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  10. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

That's great news.
    Gets to play something new + exposure + cashflows.

11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Stairway to Heaven blows Contributor

His job is playing guitar, right?

I'm always repping them on here, even though some dislike the singer's voice. The song writing was excellent and the riffs are awesome, never mind the leads.

sirbuh and wannabguitarist like this.
  12. Nonapod

Nonapod SS.org Regular

Jeff Loomis joined Arch Enemy. Jason Richardson joined All That Remains. Heck, even Bumblefoot and Buckethead did time in GNR.

Obviously being a pure instrumentalist can be financially challenging and a high profile gig has rewards beyond just money too (exposure to loads of potential new fans and touring in slightly higher comfort)

Mathemagician likes this.
  13. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

I'll give the Andy James thing and the rest of them as pass since they're a 'hired gun' gig, but Loomis is a legit member of Arch Enemy and it's killed a lot of his creative output IMO. It'd be one thing if he's filling in for a tour OR studio duties but it's a full time gig, and I haven't heard any output on par with his writing in Nevermore or his solo stuff since.

I agree with not hating a dude for finding a cake gig when he's been scrapping as a musician but abandoning your creative stuff because you now spend all your time in the Jonas Brother's backing band IS selling out. I mean, good for you but it's not like I'm going to give much of a shit about whatever you're up to musically after that.

Hollowway likes this.
  14. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

Happy for him. No let's see if he'll get tattoos everywhere and green hair to fit better ;)

15. DeathbyDesign

DeathbyDesign *Palm Muting Intensifies*

Good for him getting the call to fill in for FFDP. Def a good payday and exposure for him as a solo artist. I saw the thing with him joining the Butcher Babies and didn't realize they were still around. I remember them doing a bunch of tours a few years ago and then nothing. Tried listening to their albums before but never caught/interested me whatsoever. I am curious if he uses them as a spring board to get his name out there more and dips out after an album cycle or not.

16. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Amott has a tight hold on the AE writing still (unless Loomis is given more flexibility on the next record) and the touring cycle they do is probably one of the most intense in the industry. Be interesting to hear his new solo stuff coming out although that's been in the pipe for years. Oh, and there is a new Conquering Dystopia album on the way as well so not all doom and gloom. Heck even with Nevermore there was usually a long wait between releases.

Surveyor 777 and Randy like this.
  17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

There's a big difference between Five Finger Death Punch and Rihanna.

18. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

It definitely is kinda reminiscent of seeing Tony Royster Jr. who, IMO, is one of the most talented drummers on the face of the earth, playing with Jay-Z, of all acts. :lol:

But, just like with Tony, I'm sure he wouldn't take the gig if he didn't dig the music in at least some capacity, and I'm super happy to see him shredding it up with some big name, A-level brands. FFDP is huge and it's gotta be a rush getting that phone call- he's gunna have a blast.

19. Kaura

Kaura biding his time

Interesting opinion. Do you also lose interest in artists that do side projects and then go back to their main project?

20. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

It’s criminal that he’s a full member but isn’t allowed any input whatsoever with writing. Someone dug up an interview with Alissa when she first joined giving out how Michael rejected all her ideas. The two of them have tried but it’s Michaels band and his word is law unfortunately.

Fair play to Andy. He’s doing really well in recent years.