Analysis: Suhr Doug Aldrich vs BKP Nailbomb IR style

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ihunda, Oct 21, 2013.

1. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

Okay, so I had planned to replace the Aldrich pups from my Suhr modern to nailbombs and maybe some of you remember I have been playing with doing pickup impulse responses.

I decided to record the pickups in the guitar before swapping them. I recorded this way:
    • Open strings strum
    • Capo at 12th fret strum
    • Capo at 15th fret strum

I've been practicing hitting the same spot, roughly at the same force and I do multiple takes to average them, of course using the same pick.

My goal with the nailbombs was to get more clarity and more chord definition and much more high end bite.

So I installed them, recording my strum the same way and wrote a quick IR analyzer in python using numpy and scipy libraries.

This program opens .wav files, does some filtering, compute FFT and calculate the transfer function to map from one frequency response to the other, that my friends is the IR of a filter that would transform my JST into Nailbombs EQ wise.

This of course doesn't model the difference in dynamics but it's still useful in my book to compare both sets of pickups.

I only did the bridge so far.
    Before showing any results here's the guitar and pups being hacked to fit in :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Results!!!!!!

[​IMG]

So what does that tell you????

• Nailbombs have a low cut -> clarity
    • Nailbombs have a big mid boost at 650HZ, very much like a tubescreamer always on
    • Nailbombs have a high mid cut at around 1Khz -> can't explain why this one is there
    • And then a big boost at 2K, that's those nice djent frequencies :)

Man, all of that make sense!!!

I love those nailbombs in any guitar and the analysis concurs... It's not just in my head :lol:

Who would have thought my math skillz would pay off one day :metal:

plutard likes this.
  2. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Funnily enough I prefer the Aldrich pups to the Nailbombs :lol:

Granted the Nailbomb bridge I've used is a seven string and the Aldrich is a six string, but I was really underwhelmed by the Nailbomb bridge pickup :2c:

3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Wow! This would be awesome to see on more pickups.

4. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

While I haven't played the Aldrich, I have to agree with Tech...I was also not all that impressed with the NB bridge overall.

Thanks for posting regardless.

5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Very interesting - alnico or ceramic?

6. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr SS.org Regular

Are we talking alnico or ceramic for the nailbomb?

Edit: Ninja'd above

7. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Where's the analysis of the Suhr pickup?

8. Ikiharmaa

Ikiharmaa It's all white.

the analysis is a comparison between the pups, where the suhr aldrich is the basis for the comparison. Or at least that's how I understood the op. So if you would compare an aldrich against aldrich you would get just a straight line.

very interesting, but since it doesn't cover dynamics and since I don't have experience with the aldrich it isn't all that useful to me. It's still nice to see a visual representation of the differences and I wouldn't mind one of these with every pickup comparison lol.

well done :)

9. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

Yes, I don't have each individual pickup response, this technique works by analyzing the same notes played on both pickups and calculating the transfer function that would morph the Aldrich EQ curve into a Nailbomb.

I have another thread here where I talk about creating individual pickup impulse responses by doing a sine sweep with a magnet close to the pickup, I'll need to do some digging to find it.

Thanks, actually it's very easy to do and I found out that the open string strum alone is good enough to get a nice comparison. I am tuning my software and my plan is to release it as open source, imagine if we could build a database of pickup IR!

This is an alnico nailbomb, actually it doesn't sound anything like a JB :)

Well to each their own, I actually love nailbombs, the dynamics and harmonics are insane. As you can see, the EQ curve can always be changed :) I am actually using my IRs on an axe FX II to simulate different pickups EQ. Works great.

Actually Lace pickups are a great base to do this are their curve is pretty flat.

Agreed, everybody send me their favorite pickups so I can scan them!!!!

10. DavidLopezJr

EDIT: Yea everything I said was wrong :lol:

11. plutard

plutard New Member

Amazing, do you think a pickup library could be built using some of those methods?

12. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

Great, good to know, so which one are you going for???

Yes, using the pickup sine sweep method using an external magnet like a small speaker. Pickups don't even have to be installed so it could be very quick and painless to scan them.

13. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

That's the first time I've heard that about either pickup

14. DavidLopezJr

Yea I was terribly wrong about the Nailbomb. Seems like they are basically an overwound coldsweat. Source: https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15768.0

But the aldrich always gets brought up when guys I know who KNOW JB's talk about JB options.