Analysing the popular resurgence of the standard / non-locking trem

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by NeglectedField, Mar 22, 2021.

1. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Any guitar I buy I always look for a floyd first. I do enjoy using a hipshot bridge though, but a floyd is king for me.

All that said, locking tuners being more prevalent these days definitely evens the playing field a bit.

2. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

All I've seen is just more options and cycling though different things- I'm not sure if I'd really call it a resurgence, per se.
    That being said, it's nice to have way more options than being pigeonholed with a stock strat trem, or a licensed Floyd, or a Bigsby, for example.

3. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I think there are just more "strat" based models out there now they seem to be super popular

I remember in like 2005ish at least in my area Gibson's were big or if not the actual Gibson the shape at least so lots of LTD Vipers and Eclipses ect.

But there are now lots of strat style guitars that have pickups and playability for heavier music but still keep the non locking trem.

Also weird aside i dont know why but I hate the look of the trem on a PRS. have no issues with most trems but just something about it on a PRS drives me bonkers.

Also wish Gibson would sell more LPs with Floyds that aren't like 5K

4. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

That's a new one, from what I've seen. Especially since it was a compelling factor for me when I wanted a custom build (not a PRS, but using the Mannmade/Mil-com).
    Out of curiosity: is it the bridge itself that concerns you, or just the combination of both as one on a PRS instead?

[​IMG]

But I agree about that, Gibson has been missing out with making more guitars going above and beyond the same old TOM and 22 fret tedium without charging such laughably high prices across the board.

5. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I'm not totally sure what it is I think its that PRS has a semi Gibson aesthetic and just the lack of symmetry with that trem throws me off. Love hoe PRS with a Floyd looks. Guess just a weird thing for me.

6. byzon

byzon SS.org Regular

I am a little late to the party here, but I have noticed it as well. For my part, I love my Floyd or similarly equipped guitars. What I am getting sick of, though, is all of these satin finishes and hideous poplar burl tops. LOL

Millul, Robstonin and Matt08642 like this.
  7. dspellman

dspellman SS.org Regular

I'm not seeing a "resurgence" at all.

Seems to me the numbers are about the same over the last decade.

mbardu and John like this.
  8. Voodoo Marshall

Voodoo Marshall SS.org Regular

I don't man. At the end of the day, a good Floyd or other locking trem is only slightly more of a pain in the ass to string up/set up. The thing about them that's cool? They really, really work. Seems like even the best non-locks stop staying in tune until they get a supreme love festival. Look at the PRS page covering "why my trem is out of tune." I can't remember last time i set my FR up. Years and years. It just keeps on working and staying perfectly in tune.

byzon likes this.
  9. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

As far as I'm concerned, Floyd Rose is KING (honorable mentioned to Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge and a few others). In fact, probably 70% of my guitars have Floyds. THEY WORK.

It's not rocket surgery kids. If you can't set them up intuitively, either LEARN (see countless Youtube videos) or take it to someone. :idea:

Matt08642 likes this.
  10. Robstonin

Robstonin SS.org Regular

I think the same. If my trem's got to float then it better be double locking. Getting string and spring tension in balance is the most time-consuming part imo as well. Plus I'd rather deal with your typical locking nut than a poorly cut bit of plastic or whatever, and poorly cut nuts I get to see quite a bit since I never buy expensive guitars :D

EDIT: Neal Schon loves double locking Floyds because they stay in tune for entire shows. Heck he even asked PRS to put those on his hollowbody signature! He doesn't do ridiculous guitar lifting tricks ala Vai but he certainly uses the bar quite a bit in his solos. So... I guess setup is everything? ;)

11. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

I've always wondered about retrofitting a locking nut on, say, a Strat with the standard 6-screw bridge. I'm sure it's possible to tune the strings just so that when the clamps lock down, the strings end up correctly in tune. And clamps are 1 per 2 strings so it's not like you'd have to do this to all strings at once.

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's what Floyds were originally, before they had fine tuners. You adjusted the string tree just right and tuned slightly flat.

13. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

Do you think it would be worth doing this mod to any guitar with a non-locking vibrato bridge? I know there must be enough wood on the neck/fingerboard to accommodate the standard FR locking nut. Would it be possible to design a new nut that locks and would retrofit a standard nut? And structural concerns aside, are there are other considerations that i'm missing?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  14. AwakenTheSkies

AwakenTheSkies SS.org Regular

I haven't read much of the thread, but I do read non-locking trem and something about PRS trem, I want to add: I don't appreciate (at all) the PRS trem with the 6 screws that you have to align or you ruin the trem, I upgraded my SE trem to a Mannmade NOS2000 too. If I had known any better I would have just bought a hard-tail guitar instead, but I was a teenager and it was my dream guitar. They tell you not to touch them and that they should be adjusted from the factory, but my bridge was super high from the factory.

15. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

This path is what led to the Floyd Rose with fine tuners :lol:

Nothing stopping you from putting a locking nut on a guitar with a non-locking bridge, but it's gonna kinda suck when your G goes 4 cents sharp and you have to break a tool out to fix it lol

16. MaxOfMetal

Are you having significant enough tuning issues to warrant it? Do you absolutely need that guitar?

It's cheap and easy enough to just buy a guitar with a more comprehensive system.

They make locking nuts that go after a string nut, but you can run into compatibility issues and they're not perfect. Super V makes a pretty cool drop in clamping nut for Strats, but it isn't cheap.

17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

I'd just like to throw it out there that Schon and Lukather are great guitarists.

Robstonin likes this.
  18. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

After a quick read of this thread the one thing that I dont get is why people think that locking tuners are a factor at all.

Locking tuners make your string change quicker and keep your headstock cleaner. They do not have magic properties to keep your guitar more in tune than regular tuners. You could argue there is less string around the tuner and this prevents slippage but if you restring your guitar properly this is irrelevant.

When I was younger I used to hate setting up floyd rose guitars but back then I had to figure it out by myself. With all the good information out there on youtube now it makes modern guitar players lives a lot easier. That being said I'm not ripping the piss dimebag or kerry king style and if I want tuning stability I'll use an evertune.

The PRS trem has been my favourite non locking trem so far. Something about it just feels right to me, I cant put my finger on what.

aesthyrian and John like this.
  19. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

I disagree. Less downward pressure after the nut, less winds, and being held in place makes it stay in tune better, assuming the tuners are solid and not moving around.

20. MaxOfMetal

Locking tuners make it easier to properly wind the string around the posts, but they don't inherently increase tuning stability vs. just winding things properly.

Robstonin and devastone like this.