an unpopular opinion on Tool.

Abominorg the Grotesque

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think it was also around Lateralus that the "Tool Fan" really became a thing and made them into such a polarizing band. If you weren't completely into Tool and willing to spend hours talking about polyrhythms and writing with Fibonacci spirals with other cult members, you were clearly just a philistine with no taste and didn't deserve to listen to their amazing creations.
You know, I wasn't really internet savvy in the earliest 2000s...but were Tool fans actually as annoying as they're always reputed to be? Like nerding out over how "proggy" the music is?
I remember some people circa 2006 at my school who were pretty into Tool, but it never seemed like they were especially interested in the "prog" elements of their music or analyzing it for deep and profound meanings or anything; Tool were just a popular band that had a fan following the same as System of a Down or Slipknot had. A lot of that same crowd were the Tool fans even.

There are some prog fandoms I genuinely do find annoying; Rush fans always struck me as totally full of shit, and the fans of groups like Protest the Hero and Periphery also come off as pretentious d-bags a lot. Tool, on the other hand, always struck me as a group that a certain type of y2k era hippie liked mainly because "it sounds cool when you're high". Bands like Rush appeal to their fans more for the specific reason that the riffs and orchestration are very complicated.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
at first it was cool but the vibe didn't stand the test of time for me. plus, when bands and/or fandoms take it too seriously its time to move on. but hey, to each their own. it big wide world out there. like what you like and i'll go my way. if meet, cool.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Every new TOOL album becomes my new favorite. Every album is evolved beyond the previous one. They're all perfect, but as I live and evolve, the current newest album at any time has been the most relevant to my state of evolution, and the one I listen to the most.
They are one collective mind. The songs are perfect incarnations being channelled by the artists. It doesn't matter if this part was written separately from that part, it would have been exactly the same no matter what the process was.
I prefer the longer formats. I don't listen to any of it without listening to a whole album, so it doesn't matter how long the songs are, if I'm listening to TOOL, I'm committed to an album from start to finish. The long songs are epics; journeys with too many chapters to get the point across in 3-5 minutes. The songs I'm making lately are 7-13 minutes long. There are too many parts to make them any shorter, and to remove any of the parts would make the song incomplete.
People live life, grow, and change, as does their music. We're all at different stages of our evolution. Aenema might be the most relevant to your journey right now but their music has evolved tremendously since then, and is not lacking to any degree due to their current creative process.

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's an unpopular opinion? :lol:

Imo, Fear Inoculum is the best album, and then 10,000 Days. Lateralus is alright. The rest is meh.
Wow. You are the first person I have seen say Fear Inoculum is their best album. Most people, including myself, think it's by far their weakest album.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
You know, I wasn't really internet savvy in the earliest 2000s...but were Tool fans actually as annoying as they're always reputed to be? Like nerding out over how "proggy" the music is?
I remember some people circa 2006 at my school who were pretty into Tool, but it never seemed like they were especially interested in the "prog" elements of their music or analyzing it for deep and profound meanings or anything; Tool were just a popular band that had a fan following the same as System of a Down or Slipknot had. A lot of that same crowd were the Tool fans even.

There are some prog fandoms I genuinely do find annoying; Rush fans always struck me as totally full of shit, and the fans of groups like Protest the Hero and Periphery also come off as pretentious d-bags a lot. Tool, on the other hand, always struck me as a group that a certain type of y2k era hippie liked mainly because "it sounds cool when you're high". Bands like Rush appeal to their fans more for the specific reason that the riffs and orchestration are very complicated.
This was my experience when meeting other people that liked Tool in person. At most it was "they're sick, man!" and that's about it.

Now the Dream Theater fans I would meet in person, on the other hand...

GuitarJack

Midlife crisis player
Reaction score
Definitely agree with it feeling more like three musicians doing their thing, then throwing on vocals/lyrics as an afterthought. Undertow and Aenima I loved MJK’s lyrics and singing, by 10k Days I just wanted to hear them noodling away and they could be an instrumental band for all I cared. I think if they have kept up with delivering albums as a band over the years they would have kept relevance and coherence, but while I still enjoy their entire catalog, the fire and innovation has long passed.

As someone that frequented toolshed in the late 90’s… yes, yes we were that obnoxious! :lol:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
So I don't think I've ever actually listened to Aenima front to back, since I got into Tool when Lateralus came out and never went into the backlog. Listened to it today at work and it's definitely a good album, and I can see how the production was ahead of it's time. It also makes Lateralus and 10,000 Days seem really derivative by comparison, like they had some fresh ideas but largely I'm hearing a lot of riffs that sound similar. I now understand people who are polarized and say they don't care for them after Aenima, but I like those 3 albums (haven't cared enough to give Fear Inocculum a try yet).

Also listening to Aenima made me think of this:
6pe1s1.jpg

Really kills the "joke/magic/whatever" when you understand even a lick of German. Or if you're not a teenager anymore. :lol:

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love ‘em, even dug quite a bit of FI.

I can’t really blame Maynard for wanting to branch out and do other shit. Those guys take forever to write songs and because they change shit so much before the final version, Maynard can’t do shit until it’s done. I’m assuming they take longer and longer to write as time goes on and I also can’t blame them for their process, it delivers great results.

But I wouldn’t want to be sitting around for 5-6-15 years waiting around for other guys to write. I dig everything Maynard has done outside of Tool as equally as I dig his work in Tool, dude’s got a lot of creative output and it’s gotta go somewhere.

That said, I do agree that the band seems more like 3 dudes + Maynard. He’s said it himself repeatedly, he’s not the same angry, young dude anymore. We’re never going to hear anything like Aenima again and it’s rare he even sings the songs like that anymore. I just heard a live version of “The Grudge” the other day from a recent tour where he was actually singing with some grit on his voice, he’s been really taking it easy live for years now in that band.

Puscifer is fucking fantastic live if anyone hasn’t seen them. Seeing them do a lot of that stuff live instead of having it sampled or on backing tracks is cool as fuck. Such great vocal harmonies, too. Hoping we can get at least one more rockin’ APC album out, but it’s been a while for that band. I saw them on the eMOtive tour and it was the most boring fucking show I’ve ever seen.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
1000% yes, I had friends that were like that and spent way to much time in Tool yahoo chats back in the day.

I posted this in another thread but this is how people were back then as well as now apparently
Screenshot_20220727-060759_YouTube.jpg

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
I think while they are making increasing efforts to showcase their musicianship, they forgot to try to showcase song writing too.

magicpad

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Interesting opinions! There are a handful of Tool songs I enjoy but I personally vibe with A Perfect Circle more.... it's something about Maynard's vocal delivery in Tool being too spazzy/stuttering/staccato that I can't stand..... In APC he actually sings like a normal human being LOL

Reaction score
Unpopular opinion? Tool sucks. Their songs are 34 hours long and manage to do nothing. Their videos back in the day were good and was the only medium in which one could stomach listening to them. That being said, Maynard voice is heavenly. A Perfect Circle was a much better fit.
Tool fans are obsessive nutjobs and the whole situations reeks of the emperor's new clothes.

Now, I only partially feel that way but still.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1000% yes, I had friends that were like that and spent way to much time in Tool yahoo chats back in the day.

I posted this in another thread but this is how people were back then as well as now apparently
View attachment 112215

My juggalo friend in HS told me his brother "got his third eye" at a TOOL show.

I think while they are making increasing efforts to showcase their musicianship, they forgot to try to showcase song writing too.

Failure to edit IMO. Too much jam band.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's so cliche when people say "I like that band, but only their old stuff". Some people are just resistant to change and are stuck in the past, huffing nostalgia.
How can you like TOOL but not Fear Inoculum? Every album transcends the previous one.
Eat some mushrooms and sit with it, then you'll get it.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
Can I pry open my third eye on some spray paint in a bag instead?