an unpopular opinion on Tool.

Franko

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wanted to express this opinion I have for some time.
It's just my opinion, and I will not be offended if anyone disagrees. In fact quite the opposite, I'm curious to get your guys reactions.

I love Tool.
Having said that Ænima is probably my favorite metal album of all time.
Furthermore, it was the last Tool album that I really loved, and in this post I'd like to explain why.

Don't get me wrong, Lateralus, 10'000 Days, And Fear Inoculum all have great songs and amazing moments on them.
But none of them in my opinion hold a candle to Ænima.
When you listen to Ænima and the albums before it, you hear a cohesive band, working together.
You hear guys hashing it out in a jam space, and bouncing ideas off of each other. I really believe you can HEAR that in the actual music.
I remember the first time I ever listened to Lateralus, feeling like their was a disconnect that I couldin't quite put my finger on.
I love their brand of prog, but now it seemed like they had gone a bit too far with it.
Songs that are instrumental. Songs that have a whole 6 to 8 minutes before the vocals even come in.
And then it hit me what it was. You can tell that the vocals were added AFTER. They were no longer writing together as a band.
And this makes sense with the timeline. I believe Maynard started doing APC a couple of years before Lateralus came out.
I remember reading that they were sending him material to write to while he was touring with APC.
And now look at Maynard. How many projects does he sing in outside of Tool? 3? 4?

My bottom line is this. Tool was better before. Now Tool is a trio. Its Danny, Justin and Adam. And once in a while Maynard pops in and adds some vocals last minute to whatever creation those 3 guys have going on. Its not the same.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I personally think Lateralus and 10000 Days were their most relatable albums to me. I absolutely love Aenima though, but it's a different feel.

I'm a tool superfan and completely understand your point of views and see them as equally valid as mine.

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's an unpopular opinion? :lol:

Imo, Fear Inoculum is the best album, and then 10,000 Days. Lateralus is alright. The rest is meh.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's also been explained to me that the production on Aenima was way ahead of its time when it came out, whereas by the time Lateralus was released, that level of production was fairly normalized.

I believe Paul D'amour also has writing credits on some of Aenima as they started working on it before he left the band. Chancellor is awesome, but I have to figure there's some special herbs and spices leftover from Paul's writing that makes it a unique body of work as well.

Lateralus has always been my favorite as a cohesive album, but there is definitely something special about Aenima. The live versions of songs from that era, both on Salival and the various bootlegs, are pretty fucking incredible.

I couldn't give a shit what they're doing now. 10,000 days didn't stick, what I've heard of their latest sounded like more of the same, and MJK is an absolutely loathesome human. I still spin my Lateralus vinyl a couple times a year, but these days the mood is, "these are very beautiful thoughts for such an ugly person to be having."

KailM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like everything they’ve done. Lateralus is my favorite and then Aenema.

I’m not a weirdo that worships the band though…

PiggySmallz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What did MJK do? I tend to listen to music but rarely read news about artists or listen to interviews with them.

Also I don't think OP opinion is unpopular. Pretty sure a lot of us enjoy listening to them lol

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
This is the majority opinion among Tool fans, in pretty sure. Right after they tell you about opening their third eye to hear the spirals, or something.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like everything up to 10,000 Days. That's when, to me, it felt like they didn't have anything left to say and were just string together as long of songs as possible for prog points and hoping no-one would notice. Then taking what, 13 years, to release the next album and have it be so self-derivative that it could be B-sides from the last two? Lame. I still jam AEnima from time to to time, but the newer stuff is pretty meh for me.

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
A band seeing early success, dining-out on their hype, and disappearing up their own assholes after losing touch with what made them good in the first place... that's just a VH1 Behind the Music episode.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
Yeah, Tool were a great band in the 90's. I literally wore out my cassette copy of Opiate. But from Lateralus on they just seemed like a different band and I could never really get into them.

And I love weird proggy stuff. That wasn't the problem, it was just that whatever they were trying to do with their proggy stuff never grabbed me.

I think it was also around Lateralus that the "Tool Fan" really became a thing and made them into such a polarizing band. If you weren't completely into Tool and willing to spend hours talking about polyrhythms and writing with Fibonacci spirals with other cult members, you were clearly just a philistine with no taste and didn't deserve to listen to their amazing creations.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What did MJK do? I tend to listen to music but rarely read news about artists or listen to interviews with them.

Also I don't think OP opinion is unpopular. Pretty sure a lot of us enjoy listening to them lol

He's a sexual predator. You can find massive reddit threads with people describing shockingly similar experiences. Basically, for years he would send his roadies or w/e into the crowd to find young girls to bring backstage and engage in sex acts with varying levels of consent. Presumably he still is since he hasn't gotten in any real trouble.

My friend in HS told me about seeing it at an APC show and I brushed her off cause I was a little fanboi, but man I heard her words loud and clear when I bumped into all that stuff a few years ago.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
As long as Danny, Adam, and Justin don't stop making music I'm cool with that. Maynard can suck a dick.

ellengtrgrl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't listen to Tool all of the time, but I do like the band - from Aenima onwards. I can't stand "Opiate", and ditto for "Undertow" - both are too plodding and trippy for my tastes (and before you call me an old fuddy duddy - I bought both of those albums shortly after they came out). "Sober" made me frown when I first heard it in 1993, now it just makes me grimace - SO PLODDING.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Sober?! Plodding?? I will go ahead and say yes, their discography is riddled with...plodd-ance? I jest, but to me Sober has so many dynamics, huge climax, driving, head nodding beat, really great song, in my honest opinion.

Plodding is definitely an adjective I'd award to Tool, but not to that song haha.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I like sarcastic-dark humor Tool better. Opiate, Aenima, Undertow. It grooves better too. You can hear all that in Salival. Lateralus onwards has some seriousness and nerdy stuff that is all good but can be overplayed a bit, especially the "meditative" stuff. Some snickering sarcasm can still be there like in 10,000 Days. But yeah, I enjoy the earlier stuff better.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I always felt like Schism was about how the guys in the band used to fit together as a cohesive unit and then drifted apart or whatever. It's probably not at all the case, but as a "feel fact" it seems to hold evident.

I was never the president of the Tool fan club, but, like most rebellious kids my age, I appreciated their earlier stuff quite a bit. As others pointed out, their earlier stuff always had an element of fun to it, which seems almost completely gone now.

I think it generally happens to most bands that get really successful.