An instrumental prog rock piece - feedback needed

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Haharijsi, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Haharijsi

Haharijsi New Member

Hey guys! So I'm a bit new here. I've been looking for a home recording forum for a damn long time. Seems like I found it, this place looks great.

So recently I recorded a little instrumental piece in the vein of prog rock/metal, and I'd really like to get some feedback on the production as well as composition side of things.

It starts off kind of slow, but wait for it.
    [SC]https://soundcloud.com/haharijs/ricu-racu-ludo[/SC]

I used BIAS for the guitars as well as a lot of random VST's for the effects.
    SD 2.0 on the drums.

2. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I really like this, apart from the panning hi hat which has me desperately searching for a way to get windows to output in mono. I'm sure this is just my personal preference.

I like that the bass drum has bass in it rather than just clicking.

Composition wise it maybe sounds more like a backing track waiting for a lead part or a vocal than it does like an instrumental - just missing something to take the listener through the track, if you see what I mean. This isn't to say that it lacks variation or anything, it's dynamic and kept my interest throughout, I just feel it's missing that special somthing to top it off.

The lead part from 1:15 really reminds me of something specific but I can't place it right now.

The crash might be a bit loud at 2:20ish, but on the other hand my ears might just be a bit sensitive because I spent yesterday setting up my drum mics and testing them out.

3. Haharijsi

Haharijsi New Member

Thanks for the feedback!
    Yeah, the panning hi-hat was sort of an experiment, you're not the first to dislike it. Lesson learned.

I think I understand what you mean by saying the song lacks a hook to grab the listener. It might be that it's lacking in melodic structure.

Appreciate the feedback - solid stuff, man!