AMT preamp pedal for thicker, midrangier high gain tone

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

The demos I've heard of the RG13 sound more like the RG amps than they do the T2/V2 amps that sound so damn good.

wakjob and lewis like this.
  2. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Definitely try the M2, as you'll find most MIAB pedals are midrangey but not super tight in the low end without some help from EQ settings and/or a boost. For some other similar choices:

One Control Anodized Brown - nicely voiced, gain all the way up to high gain modded MIAB, but no flubb. Small footprint. Cons are no full EQ, just a tone knob, but it's so well voiced I don't care.

Tech21 OMG - built in boost is fantastic (it actually works great with other pedals in chain too). Amazing pedal and I don't know why it's not more popular around these parts. Does low to high gain, from Marshall to Peavey type tones. Literally nothing negative to say about it.

Alexander Silver Jubilee - It's a Marshall Silver Jubilee in a box. What more do you need to know?! Amazing pedal. Con - needs more gain. Instead of cranking it to 11, it feels like it's a Marshall cranked to about 6 or 7 when dimed - but this means it plays well with boosts and other ODs, so I'm OK.

Walrus Audio Iron Horse v2 - The ultimate Rat-in-a-box. If you want something hairier than a MIAB, then a high gain Rat is for you! I have several Rats (VFE, Mooer, ProCo Rat 2, Katzenkonig) and A/B'd this wins hands down. Price is only con... I think they run up to $199 new, but you can find a v1 under 100.

Svisound Metalzoid - If you don't know who they are, you need to lol. They make some cool steampunk designs and will do just about anything you want custom for decent money (I have a 3-in-1 in the works right now). The MZ I have is a slightly lower gain model, but it is AMAZING. It has this searing sustain thing going on... literally, sings for days. It isn't as tight as I would like for higher gain stuff (hence I ordered another), but for rock rhythms and leads it is a 10/10.

I found the best MIAB rig for me is one of these, plus a Tumnus at the end set to noon on gain and treble and level to taste.

[FWIW I'm only recommending pedals I actually have and can attest to]

3. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

True, the E1 will take you more into the Colony/Clayman family of tones

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

My first jam through my T2 was last weekend.

Damn that amp is cool!. Im going to try using it to power my kemper today!

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Hey, I appreciate the thorough rundown... but I need preamp pedals. :ugh: Main reason I wanna stick with the AMTs is because they're preamp pedals I know that work really well. Plus, I'm not TOTALLY sure the Marshall sound is what I want. It's in the vein of something like an Uberschall, Randall T2, Original 2-channel Dual Recto, Soldano SLO... thick and lots of low-mid grunt, but still tight.

That's why I dig the P2. Gets close to that mid-era In Flames sound, which I'm a huge fan of. IIRC they used a 5150 for that.

The T2 is a cool-as-fuck head. Thick, tight tone with no ugly fizz.

Basically, this is the core sound I'm looking for.

Not precision tight, but plenty of chunk, lots of midrange growl.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Found some dude that did a comparison between several of them with a DI track, and from his videos, it sounds like the S2, D2, and C2 are the best to me.

The S2 sounds the tightest, but sounds like it's more scooped and brittle. Similar to the P2 but with a looser, bigger sound and more aggression.
    The D2 sounds nice and thick and has a cutting midrange, but sounds a bit too smooth. Not enough aggression.
    The C2 has what I'm looking for. Thick sound, cutting aggressive midrange. Just unsure how well it'll handle lower tunings at high gain.

Honestly I think I'm considering the C2 now. Sounds plenty chunky and seems like it has enough gain for what I want. May see about getting it.