Amps: I need a new one

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Matthew, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Matthew

Matthew SS.org Regular

My current setup is an RG471AH into a Boss MT-2 and then a Fender Frontman 15G. While it's all beginner equipment I have been able to wrestle some good tones out of it. I'm making the move to seven string with a JP70 soon, so I'd like to upgrade the amp as well.

My budget is under $1k USD and I'd really like to keep it as low as possible. I don't gig or have to compete with a drummer and really just want something to sound good in my room. I'd like to go all tube, but I have nothing against solid state or hybrids and realize my budget doesn't bode well for a pure tube experience.

The ideal amp would have 2 channels that I could foot switch and cover both clean and dirty tones well. At minimum it would have to do cleans, since I can just use a pedal for distortion. Other features like aux in or a line out are cool, but not necessary. Effects loop would be cool, but unlikely.

As for my my tastes, I love prog. Petrucci is a huge influence to making the 7 string transition and I've been digging a lot of Periphery and Tesseract lately. Protest the Hero, Art By Numbers, Corelia. I also dig Coheed and Cambria and stuff like Silversun Pickups.

Anyone have some suggestions on what I should look at?

EDIT: I should specify that a combo or head/cab doesn't matter. Also, I'd be willing to build my own from scratch or a kit. Could be fun.

2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

Imo a jet city 20 watt + cab + ts9. I dont think they are foot switchable, but I was impressed when I tested one unboosted. They arent thst expensive either.

Do you live near any muduc stores?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Expect us

Fender makes really good amps (IMO). I've been using a 95' Ulitimate Chorus (2x12 150 Watt Combo) for around 2 1/2 - 3 years now and love it. Has amazing cleans and handles distortion very well, after I got a 31 band EQ I can just about get whatever tone I'm looking for.
    For around $1k you should be able to find something bigger and better then a frontman.

4. Matthew

Matthew SS.org Regular

I'll check 'em out and the only thing nearby is GC (one so bad they haven't replenished stock since just before Christmas). I could drive an hour or so to Cleveland or Pittsburgh for something special, though.

I'd hope so! XD

5. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Egnater Rebel-30 112 1x12 30W Tube Combo Guitar Amp | Musician's Friend

Excellent tone. Could compete with a drummer if you needed to, but you can dial down the output wattage to 1W for bedroom jamming. Two footswitchable channels. Silent record function. At $900, it fits your budget (barely) but has amazing features that you won't find in other amps in this range.

Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 18 Tube Guitar Amp Head | Musician's Friend
    Footswitchable 18W head with silent record function. You'll need a 1x12 cab for it, but you can probably figure that out for under $300 easily. Has excellent tone. Not as feature packed as the Rebel 30, but still a rad option.

6. Splinterhead

Splinterhead Sojourner Contributor

One of my students brought in one of those Roland Cube amps. I have to tell you I was really surprised it sounded really good and for not a lot of money.:yesway:

7. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

Gc should have jet citys there.

Also the low watt blackstars might be up your alley as well :2c:

8. Basti

Basti not much space to wr

^ Blackstar is pretty cool. I can vouch for the HT series being pure tube goodness at especially tempting prices, plenty of versatility in that range although you might find yourself short of gain, should you want to go more extreme.
    I've heard good things about the new Blackstar IDs, definitely handle more gain since they emulate the Series Ones, but I haven't tried one of those myself.

9. JohnnyClaiborne

JohnnyClaiborne Audio Engineer

A vox AC15 would do you nicely. Its only 600, but if you wanna spend the full 1k you can get the bigger AC30 which has an FX loop.

10. Matthew

Matthew SS.org Regular

Some of these suggestions look pretty great. Thanks, guys! Now I just need to do some research and play a few of these.

11. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Sweet Solos and Beautiful Melodies

Carvin legacy amp. Very underated amps that can get any sound you want or need imo.

12. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

When i tried the Blackstar HT-5R combo recently, that was muddy garbage. I think the speaker may have been the problem but whatever the case I could NOT bond with that amp.

I have the Jet City JCA22h and JCA24s 2x12 cab now. That thing is amazing. The clean headroom is not great; I think of it as a 5W clean amp and you cannot hit the frontend very hard with something like EMGs. It's plenty loud clean for practice situations but I imagine it'll struggle in band situations. The drive sounds are amazing though, and for the most part you don't need a pedal out front. I also tried the amp with the 1x12 cab; it was good, but the 2x12 was a surprisingly large improvement. New preamp tubes helped too.

People recommend the Egnaters a lot but every demo I've ever heard was awful :scratch: Carvin's an interesting option with something like a V3M, and maybe the larger Blackstars are actually decent.

13. TheAmercanLow

TheAmercanLow Well-Known Member

Not exactly thought of as a "metal" amp but, but the Mesa Express line of amps are quite good, and can be found under a grand used. Throw an eq in the loop on the burn channel and you can get some sweet tones. The cleans are fantastic as well

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

14. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

Buy a Roland Cube 80. Definitely a very good amp for the money.

15. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I bought a used Mesa Dual Rec and Marshall 1960A cab for $900 two years ago. I had to drive 3 hours away, but I turned around and sold the cab for $225 a month later. Both transactions were on craigslist.

The deals are out there, you just have to be patient and willing to do some searching.

16. Mordacain

Mordacain Formerly 1-watt brigadier

Given your budget, I would give AMT a shot.

The Stonehead is well within your budget and will leave enough left over for a good used cabinet.

Another option would be to grab a SS-20 or SS-30 preamp and a Tube Cake power amp and then upgrade that with their 50 watt power amp when it's released later this year. If I hadn't already invested in a HD500-based rig, I think that's where I'd be putting my money.

Then again I like the modular aspect and I play a wide range of styles, so I need versatility more than anything personally. Granted, your styles have pretty broad tone requirements as well, so there you go.

17. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Peavey 6505+ (1x12) or 5150 (2x12) combos generally run from 350-550 on the used market, and meet your criteria. Not the best cleans in the world, but definitely usable.

Both of these are 60 watts, which would be more than enough to keep up with a drummer, should you need to, and also be able to do low volumes. There are threads all over SSO and other forums praising these amps, and for good reason!

18. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

The best bang for buck when buying amps are used heavy combos! Nobody wants them because they are heavy so the prices just continue to drop. I got my Roadster combo for less than $900 literally because of the weight. It was in (and still is) near mint condition, came with all the paperwork, and had a couple of years left on the warranty. So if you like Mesa, get a used 2x12 combo and I guarantee it will be a good deal, though, I should mention shipping with cost $100+.