Ampless rig build help needed

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by kerekem, Jul 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. kerekem

kerekem SS.org Regular

I am willing to build an ampless rig due to current apartement situation,but being a tube guy plug and play sorta player,i am kinda noob in this regard.

So the idea looks something like this:

Guitar>tc poly>behringer tm300(or zoom ms50g)>zoom ms70cdr>ditto>nux solid studio>output to headphone. No poweramp,no real cab.

Question: would this setup work and give me usable ‘amplike’ musical sound?

Any help is appreciated,but please keep in mind,i am kinda bound to these components-most of them are in possession already,others i can trade in.

Cheers

2. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Buy a used Peavey Vypyr for $50. Then use headphones if that doesn't go quiet enough.

Gmork, ATRguitar91 and Beheroth like this.
  3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

How modelers such as the Headrush Gigboard or Helix Stomp using headphones? They can also be an interface for your DAW. Then, if you need to go out to gig you can get an FRFR cab.

4. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Second Peavey. You can get little old indestructible Peaveys for a song all day at pawn shops and thrift stores, especially if you're practiced in the art of dickering. Most pawn shop and thrift store people don't know dick about amps so if you act confident and list shit you're gonna have to fix you can always talk them down. I just took home a Rage 158 for $10 that just had scratchy pots, now it's the best sounding $10 amp you'll ever hear.

Most of those little amps have headphone jacks as stated above.

Gmork likes this.
  5. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I think the weak point in this setup will the Behringer or Zoom amp modeller, since that's where the heart of your tone will come from.

If I was in your situation I'd consider swapping those for a Mooer Micro Preamp or one of the AMT Legend pedals, either can be had for around $70.

Everything else in there seems solid and I think you'll have a solid headphone practice setup. If you have an interface already you could go the VST route. When I was in an apartment I had a Peavey Vypyr and it was fine, made me miss my real amps though.

kerekem likes this.
  6. kerekem

kerekem SS.org Regular

I know what i am going to do:

Polytune into hotone binary amp. I will put the ms70cdr, a nux studio mini ir loader and the ditto in the fx loop of the binary amp and use the headphone out on the studio mini.