Amp head comparison - Engl, Peavey, Mesa Boogie, Randall

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by alilcluless, Sep 11, 2012.

1. alilcluless

alilcluless SS.org Regular

Hi :wavey: For those who have owned or used the following amps, what did you think of them? :

1) The Engl Powerball (first generation)

2) The Peavey 5150 / 6505

3) Peavey 5150 ii / 6505+

4) Mesa Boogie Mark IV

5) Mesa Boogie Mark V

6) Randall Satan ..... of course this isn't even produced yet ...... so don't expect any answer for this one. But these are the amps that I've come down to as far as my next guitar related purchase.

What I mean specifically is : what you think of the amps tonal qualities, reliability, durability, ease of dialing in a variety tones, cleans and abilities to reproduce a few bands tones: Amon Amarth, Kreator, Metallica (Master of Puppets), Jeff Loomis, Meshuggah, Death, The Darkness, Dethklok, Led Zeppelin, The Black Dahlia Murder, Van Halen, Pantera.

Also how would you rate the amps? Which do you prefer? What did you not like about any of the amps?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts! :yesway:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  2. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

Powerball:
    Awesome metal tone on it's own, but not so great in a band setting.

It has a very non organic, almost solid state-ish thing to it that makes it great for super tight metal. Clean is pretty good without being stunning, definately usable though.

It wont really be a great choice for Van halen og Zeppelin.

Buy if you love tight metal rythms and also need an acceptable clean.

5150:
    Great distorted tones. The 5150/6505's lead channel can stand up to amps much more expensive. The clean channel however is one of the worst in the mid-high priced tube amp range.

Buy if you want an awesome distorted sound for cheap and dont care too much about anything else.

Mark IV/V:
    Great versatility. There are so many sounds locked up in these bad boys, especially in the V. The IV has some of the eq section shared between clean and crunch channels, making it a bit harder to ideally tweak the two.

The Mark's have beautiful clean tones, pretty decent to good crunch tones and awesome lead tones.

Buy the IV if you want a versatile amp with many great sounds for a reasonable price.

Buy the V if you want even more versatility and options and youre willing to pay a lot more cash.

As an alternative, I would suggest the Marshall JVM410.

It has 4 channels with 3 gain stages each.

It's just as versatile as the Mark's, but being a Marshall it has a more british flavour to it.

3. Saidincontext

Saidincontext SS.org Regular

OMG that's a ton of bands... If you want versatility/Sound like that, you're going to need a 5150III. You're not gonna pull a pantera out of any of these btw :)
    Have you looked at the III? It is AMAZING

5150I has a more organic, better tone than the II, but has low/high inputs, witch kill your versatility, unless you wanna switch them every time for a good clean.

Mesa is very versatile, great tone, just takes a second to dial in what you want.

they're all built like tanks.

Don't know about the power ball

4. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

What have you tried out?

I second a Marshall JVM. Amazing tones for little money.

5. casketshrine

casketshrine SS.org Regular

Marshall JVM410 for sure! I bought a 205H, ended up ordering the 410H as well!

6. LarryMorrio

LarryMorrio Member

It has a very non organic, almost solid state-ish thing to it that makes it great for super tight metal. [​IMG]

7. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Every amp mentioned so far would be a great choice. Nothing wrong with any of them.

And by the end of the day when YOU are done fiddling with the settings and the rest of your gear, they would all sound fairly even to each other. Maybe a few minor tonal variations.

8. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

mark iv? do i win?

9. petervindel

petervindel SS.org Regular

Personally, I'd wait for the Satan, which is exactley what I'm doing.
    I currently use a Vetta II head through a Mesa Rectifier 4x12, which is great for what I'm doing.
    However, I have always wanted a tube amp, and I'm not gonna make a decision until Satan is available. If it lives up to the hype I'll get one, if not I'll go with the EVH 5150! III

10. fps

fps Kit

Well I don't know about the Satan, obviously, but until recently I had a Randall V2 and for tight metal damn that thing was awesome. Randall can do that ultra-tight chug stuff for sure.
    I was impressed by the JVM410's tones at a show I played once, although it needed a noise gate as it fed back like crazy, and I don't think it's quite at the level of Mesa Mark IVs and Vs.

11. killrockstar1990

killrockstar1990 Killrockstar90V35

All of those amps are badass in their own way . you cant go wrong with either one . what are you gonna use it for .thats the main question.
    what style . what genre .

12. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

if you need van halen tones,ceriatone chupa is a great option

13. alilcluless

alilcluless SS.org Regular

SSK0909, I'll look into the Marshall and the EVH 5150 III as well. Van Halen/Zep is not my main tone but an option Id like to have as I am looking for versatility, and good cleans. So it appears that besides the 5150/6505 I can't go wrong.

As far as the genre goes, it isn't just one. From the brütz to soft rock, as I like to write in more than one genre.

Thanks!

14. incinerated_guitar

incinerated_guitar SS.org Regular

Sounds like someone may need to look into the world of amp modeling:cool:

Your not going to get from Zeppelin to Meshuggah with one amp too well

15. Saidincontext

Saidincontext SS.org Regular

nahhhh get a bkp single in hs, like a manhattan, give you plenty of that djent on heavy then plenty of that classic rock on the crunch :)
    You'd definitely need a 3ch. amp with 3 separate eq's though.

but yeah, amp modeling isn't too bad, actually played the Peavey (Vyper?) the other day and it sounded pretty good - that was with a stock ibanez, so theres definitely something to it.

16. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

I've never understood the clean tone bashing for the 6505+/5150 II. With the right settings the clean tones are very usable. Add a slight delay and/or chorus and it really livens up. I sold my ENGL Powerball to buy my 6505+ and I actually prefer the cleans on my Peavey. I'm not saying the cleans on the Peavey are the best, but they are certainly far from being unusable.

17. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Wanna hear a great clean tone? Plug your guitar straight into the return on a 6505.

18. Key_Maker

Key_Maker 9V inside

I think that you should try this:

[​IMG]

Ultra flexible tone, tons of tone possibilities due the switches and mid range knobs, great clean for been a high gain amp and it suits everything.

If not, the Mark V would be fine.

19. iRaiseTheDead

iRaiseTheDead Ashes Of Rebirth

I have a Peavey 6505+ and I absolutely love that beast! Extremely loud, very clear (obviously helps to have a noise gate!) but this this screams power!