America's second civil war.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DiezelMonster, Jun 6, 2020.

1. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Complainasaurus Rex

I posted this in the George Floyd post because it seemed relevant there but I'd rather not add extra stuff that isn't necessarily pertaining to that, so...

Has anyone listened to this podcast?

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-it-could-happen-here-30717896/

It's from last year around this time, if you go back to the very first one from March of 2019 there is some eerie prophetic shit being talked about.

After I started listening to this I started digging around about "The coming second civil war".

I don't believe one thing or the other and I don't know what this guy's political bias is, but it's interesting/entertaining to listen too.

Also, I don't have an opinion one way or the other about this topic because I don't live in the USA but it seems like a lot of people have been talking about this for a while.

2. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

America has always been a great experiment. I personally believe that partisan media and no regulation on social media is driving us towards this potential conflict. The differing realities that our political parties live in is insane. If you would have asked me 5 years ago about a Civil War 2.0 in America, I would have strongly disagreed. Now I feel this is a more relevant threat. I fear that the election this year could in fact be a catalyst for a internal US war and I believe Trump would be alright with this. I saw that EU leaders are already working on contingency plans for the end of the year if our election sours.

I believe that if the US slides into a civil war, we will drag the world into it and it will be WW3.

Aaron and DiezelMonster like this.
  3. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Complainasaurus Rex

There is a dizzying amount of possibilities and outcomes.

First there is this

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ould-leave-vladimir-putin-in-charge-till-2036

Now that Vladdy is doing that, I can suspect Trump will want to do that too, I believe I read somewhere he threatened that already? Which would most certainly stir up civil unrest.

Second.

I've heard chatter about the US or other countries blaming China for this pandemic, and taking either economic sanctions or even further actions, now if something were to happen regarding that then that involves Russia and a civil war would be irrelevant at that point.

It's an interesting time....

4. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

@DiezelMonster Robert Evans, is fairly far left compared compared to the average American. He has another show, Behind the Bastards (which is excellent), where he's a little more open about his personal politics. Fairly critical of capitalism with a solid anarchist streak. Doesn't detract from either show at all imo, and I'm one of those solid center-left people that still dreams of about the future that could have been under President Clinton :lol:. It's a cautionary fiction, and entertaining. I'm not concerned and honestly believe we're not at that point yet.

If you enjoyed "It Could Happen Here" I also recommend his audiobook: http://www.thewaroneveryone.com/. It's a free well researched piece on the history of the American fascist movement.

5. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

When the 20 million or so people who are now unable to pay their rents become homeless next fall it will be interesting to see what happens. I personally think the war has been goimg on for a few years. You have mass shootings almost every day... Covid escalates the income equality and it will become a lot worse. Since the US does not even have a political system (gimme a break) there’s no hope to fix anything without violence.

jaxadam likes this.
  6. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

7. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

You could apply those same words to any president. I am pretty sure Carlin died before Trump. Can you name a period in history when the wealthy did not own the world and everyone in it?

Merrekof and jaxadam like this.
  8. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Lol. I'd like to add something more constructive to the thread, but really, lol.

9. High Plains Drifter

Which was why I posted in this thread. The relevance is timeless and the message is indeed true. And yes, Carlin died in 2008 iirc.

10. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Anything you add will be the pinnacle, and it will all be downhill from there, so I suggest at least letting this one ride out for a few pages!

possumkiller likes this.
  11. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

I imagine we will be dusting it off again in the 30s and 40s and 50s.

12. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Alright. I don't want to wait too long though... I want to post it while there's still an America left to read it!

jaxadam likes this.
  13. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

it'd be interesting to know if people in states like KY and MS really knew how much they were taking from the federal govt each year before seriously talking about this civil war. easy to be upset with your parents when you are 13 but then trying to figure out how you would actually pay rent and feed yourself somewhere else you suddenly don't mind doing a few chores.

zappatton2 likes this.
  14. High Plains Drifter

Many of us have seen the original context many years ago but it genuinely resonated with me now more than ever given the current political climate here in the US. I think that it's worth presenting to those not familiar with it. I'm not here to push an agenda. As always... respect and regards to you. Stay well.

15. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Do I think there will eventually be a second civil war? Yeah, probably. I just feel that the material conditions by which a civil war or revolution could stem from will eventually deteriorate to where that happens. But I don't think it's gonna be any time soon. I know there's youtube grifters like Tim Poole that basically try to make a career off of scaremongering about how we're on the precipice of a second civil war, particularly over the most asinine things like there being a non-white/straight/cisgender character in a video game. Honestly though, I think the tensions we're currently experiencing is an ebb and flow cycle that does get more and more extreme in intensity over time. Right now we're under the thumb of essentially fascist and crypto-authoritarian government here in the US, but thankfully we have very good systems in place to weather that and shy of an actual coup, this too shall pass.

Typically we see things like looting, rioting, and social unrest as an effect of parts of society going unheard and/or unaddressed properly and that's the last resort they have. I'm actually convinced that the BLM protests and the like we're seeing are a pittance compared to what I think we'll say later down the line as we hit the point of no return level of climate change and the world literally turns into an uninhabitable hellhole.

The only thing I could see triggering a second civil war would be if there was an actual, legit coup here in the US and said conquering government basically wanted to tear up the constitution and institute a full on authoritarian system. The first civil war, I think, was a bit unique in the aspect that the North and South essentially saw each other as completely separate countries and they even referred to the United States in the plural sense (we refer to it in the singular sense now) until after the conclusion of the civil war. It would take a complete and overwhelming de-nationalizing mentality of various areas of the US to get us anywhere near the same mentality we had in the first civil war. There's also the fact that the South built its entire economy off of the exploitation of slave labor, and that provoked a massive fight reflexive response.

zappatton2 likes this.