Amendment 64 Passes: Colorado Legalizes Marijuana For Recreational Use

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Bigsby, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Lives Once Abstract

Lives Once Abstract Avid Musician

If what you said ^ is true, You could easilly go to say that because tobacco gives you a buzz and therefore something you dont feel normally feel, its an altered state of mind. As well as being "horny" or craving sex lol. No...

What...? Have you ever smoked? Im not trying to be a smart asshole im serious, have you smoked?

I have been trying to say this to people for years. And not all of the people who sell weed are thugs mind you... And I the way prohibition turned out with alcohol will be similar to the effect of what will happen when (yes when) weed is decriminalized nationally. During prohibition the amount of people who consumed alcohol rose ENORMOUSLY. Once it was repealed the percentage of drinkers dropped drastically. I think less people would smoke weed if there wasnt a risk.

Yes. Thank you. You would be surprised [Fat Elf] how many people smoke and become more lively. People who you thought to be in deep states of depression.

And whether you believe this or not; Its been scientifically proven that smiling and laughter are healthy for you in many ways. One of which would be depression. Being that the more you smile and laugh, you mentally become more content with life. And, well, happy. I can say this for myself and every other pot smoker in the world, marijuana makes you laugh. Laughing is smiling on steroids. When I am regularly smoking weed Im so much happier than i would be when Im not. Dont get me wrong, I do not depend on it, and I can be happy without it. But why wouldn't you WANT to be as happy as you could be? That puzzles me.

2. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Wait wait wait... are you actually arguing that weed doesn't cause an altered state of mind? If that's true, I need to get a hold of my buddy back home and find out what that stuff actually was, because it sure enough did.

3. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Well it doesn't alter the mind in the same sense that LSD, heroin, shroom's and the like do. It is a mild hallucinogen so it is in the same category, but I've never met someone who genuinely hallucinated while high on pot.

At best it just made things better: food tastes better, music sounds better, sleeping feels better, and EVERYTHING is hilarious. I guess it depends on what people mean when they say "altered state of mind".

4. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

^ By your own description of it's effects it alters your perception, if that isn't an altered state of mind I can't help but wonder what the dividing line is between an altered and unaltered state.

5. Lives Once Abstract

Yes. Just because you may feel a little different doesn't mean its an altered state of mind. When I get off a roller coaster I tend to feel drunk from my body experiencing g forces. I have to sit down for a bit because im very dizzy. But my state of mind has not changed. I still think the same about things. And my point once again, my moral values are never at stake when high.

EDIT: I understand its not the same, but, my mental status is still the same as it was when I had not been smoking weed

Altered mental state - definition of Altered mental state in the Medical dictionary - by the Free Online Medical Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    Altered Mental Status: Check Your Symptoms and Signs With the Symptom Checker by MedicineNet.com

6. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

^^^
    Based on the definitions I actually think it qualifies quite well as altering your state of mind, but I get your point. You are saying you don't do something just because you are high. You are not compromised as a person.

It doesn't make you hallucinate though (or at least it never has for me). I have gotten extremely paranoid before though.

Yeah I suppose it does. :lol: It isn't to the extreme though like many other drugs are capable of causing was my main point, but I'm drawing arbitrary lines if I go there.

7. Lives Once Abstract

Under the definitions in those links, I have never experienced those symptoms. And I do understand that people react to it differently.

8. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Per the definition you just gave, yes you are in an altered state of mind at that point. It is a state of awareness that differs from your normal awareness.
    A massive change in thought patterns, cognitive ability, morals etc. is not required for something to be an altered state of mind.

If you feel happier after smoking weed, as you described earlier, that could be described as a change in perception. That is an altered mental state.
    If everything is hilarious suddenly while you're high, that could be described as poor regulation of emotion, which is mentioned in your second link, or a change in perception, since I doubt you perceive everything as being funny under normal circumstances.
    If you eat more while high as opposed to when you haven't smoked that is a change in behavior. If you do it because the food tastes better, it can be argued that a change in perception while you're high has caused a change in your behavior.

Just because the term "Altered Mental State" may come with some baggage because it can be applied to some of the effects of much more harmful drugs doesn't mean you get to pick and choose when it applies.

Lives Once Abstract likes this.
  9. TaylorMacPhail

TaylorMacPhail Heisenberg

Brainwashed.

Idk about you, but I don't think I could keep my cool trying to talk with this lost lost woman.

On topic, congratz to Colorado and Washington, it's about time. Only a matter of time before the rest of the US gets it done, and then maybe Stephen Harper will follow his "idols" and do the same (in about 10 years lol jk). At least for us, the age will be 19 and not 21 should the same law pass :D :D :D

Where I live at least, it's not so much I'm worried about getting busted, it's the whole social stigma and subsequently the paranoia I get from it being illegal and all the close-minded people who like to bash on the drug. I'm already somewhat of a paranoid and self-conscious person so NO, the weed itself doesn't make me paranoid :p

10. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man

^ People who are already paranoid should usually not smoke weed.

11. TaylorMacPhail

And using the "Alcohol and tobacco are legal but are way worse for you than marijuana" can certainly be used to promote the prohibition of those substances, but what most people, myself included, use the argument for is to expose the HYPOCRISY of the government and to show that legality DOES NOT equal "good" (morally or health-wise).

12. TaylorMacPhail

Okay I'll stop right now I promise!

But seriously, how do you know that the whole reason paranoia is correlated with marijuana is not BECAUSE of what I just said about it being illegal?

As a user, but also a Psychology student, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

13. Adam Of Angels

I won't urge you to stop, or anything, I'm just saying that somebody with a chemical issue (slight or not) would do best to not tinker with their chemicals further. Some people who are naturally paranoid do slightly better when smoking, so who knows.

14. TaylorMacPhail

So you're implying mental properties, paranoia in this case, can't be influenced from social factors (legality) both consciously and subconsciously and that what you are born with and what you ingest both from yourself or the environment, are the only factors that affect the chemicals in your brain? :scratch:

A prime example of how the conscious mind can influence the chemicals and neuro-plasticity of the brain being the placebo effect.

But I appreciate your concern over my health :)

15. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

No, he wasn't implying that at all. He was saying one thing paranoia can be caused by, not that that one thing is the only thing it can be caused by. That's just a silly conclusion to draw from what he said.

16. Lives Once Abstract

Alright, fair enough. But, will say this, when I said Im happier when regularly smoking I didn't mean I smoke then while Im high Im happy, which yes I am but, I meant in general at all times. Not just when high.

I guess I looked at the term "altered mental status" as a more drastic change than what it could, and sometimes is considered. I apologize. :wallbash: Thanks for helpin me to understand that without being a douche haha.

17. Adam Of Angels

No, I'm not implying that, thank you.