Amazon prime charge

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ancestor, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

a word of warning for those of you who use amazon. they have a service called amazon prime, which i guess gives you some shipping discounts or something.

today a charge was put on my cc for 79 dollars. the last time i used amazon was at least a few months ago, maybe more.

they claim that i clicked a link to try the amazon prime service "for two days" (!) and then never cancelled it.

my bank refuses to put the money back in my account immediately and amazon says it's going to take 3 business days, which means 5 to 6 days.

that was the money i was going to use for food over the weekend btw. now i have no money for gas, beer, food, etc.

and when i called amazon there was a specific message about amazon prime. so they must have done this to a lot of people.

so whatever you do, don't click any links for discounts on amazon unless you want to be charged for that service. and even if you haven't done that, you should keep an eye on your account if you have a card on file there.

i think it's reprehensible for them to do this. also it's a bunch of baloney that they can charge me instantly for it, but somehow it will take 5 days or more to put it back in my account.

imagine how much interest they will make from all those people they charged.

same scam the schools pull with student loans. they hang onto the money and make interest from it.

anyway... :(

2. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I'm sorry that you're short on cash. I've been there. I'm hopeful you at least have some stuff on your kitchen shelves which can be stretched for the weekend (pasta/rice/beans/etc.)

----

It is always worth reading up on conditions whenever a website makes an offer. I always get offered that Amazon Prime thing, and when I consider it and read the terms, I always reject it.

Sorry you got caught up in it. Learning an object lesson can be brutal.

3. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

ah, thank you. i'll be ok.

i honestly don't remember ever agreeing to anything in the first place though. and why would they wait 3 months to charge me? :scratch:

4. Blind Theory

Blind Theory SS.org Regular

Same thing happened to me a while back. Some message popped up about it, I tried the two day thing because the bubble that popped up said it would require authorization or some shit. They charged the money anyway, got pissed, they refunded it. I stopped using Amazon.

5. Explorer

Normally agreements like that are heralded by some small line of text like this:

"In clicking this link (to get cheap shipping, for example), I agree to the Terms and Conditions set forth in the user agreement." The Terms and Conditions is a clickable link where you find out what you're agreeing to.

And, if you're clicking a link without reading it, you're doing exactly what they want. You're agreeing to a contract without reading it.

Are you saying you never clicked such a link? That's a vastly different premise than saying you clicked it without understanding. Did you make a purchase and go for Amazon Prime discounted/free shipping? You have an order history, so you should be able to look at it.

6. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

exactly.

i have a card on file for amazon. so, it's not a case of me giving them my info. they already have it.

i don't remember anything that ever said "you have signed up for a trial subscription to amazon prime. you have 2 days (!) to preview the service etc..."

they have to be really specific and forthright for any online contract to be legal.

Does Clicking 'I Agree' Create a Binding Contract?

and they aren't. there are really obvious motives for why amazon would want to do this.

by contrast, there is no motive for me to sign (by means of a single click!) something that will allow them to take 79 dollars from my account at their whim.

and i used to trust them implicitly. i have recommended them to many people.

also, amazon has issued me a "promo" credit of 15 dollars to apologize.

ok, there it is back in june. i got free shipping on one item, and then paid for shipping on the next item. so in other words, they actually charged me shipping when it was supposed to be free (assuming i agreed to this, and i didn't).

7. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

the other thing is that even if this were legal, which it isn't, it would still be unethical. they're enticing customers with a discount, then hoping the customer will either forget or not understand.

the service itself is not attractive to customers. they are trying to trick people into signing up for it. that's wrong.

8. Ninetyfour

Ninetyfour SS.org Regular

Amazon are dicks with policies. I got a free month LoveFilm membership, except it wasn't free because they charged me for it.

9. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

This thread is a good lesson in reading everything, as Explorer has said. I know people love to hate on companies, but this is assuredly not their fault. Welcome to contract law. The benefit is, you only make mistakes once typically, so you are now clear ad infinitum. Good luck getting your money back budd, keep a better eye out here on.

10. Explorer

I understand that you don't remember clicking on anything which explicitly said "you'll be charged this amount." I'm more curious as to whether you clicked on anything specifying you agreed to the Terms and Conditions, while making the decision (mindless or mindful) that you weren't going to read those Terms and Conditions.

Personally, I have no dog in this fight, but I'm just concerned that you'll have something similar happen when you go to sign a contract:

"I didn't agree to that! Well, yeah, that's my signature, but I didn't notice that! They should put it in writing! Well, yeah, it was in writing, but they should be required to state it to my face, and then make sure I understand! It's not like I'm an adult!"

To keep going on about how they did something bad by offering you a chance to read what you were agreeing to, and you rejecting that chance, is to attempt to shift your own responsibility in this. You fucked up. Learn from it.

Or don't. It won't be my name on the contract, or my money taken out of my bank account.

Whichever you choose, learning or blaming others, good luck!

11. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

ah, the irony. if you wouldn't mind reading the expanation of the problem and this:

Does Clicking 'I Agree' Create a Binding Contract?

you'll see that in fact i am right. amazon has already admitted they were wrong and credited me 15 dollars on my account.

the true issue was never whether i was responsible. it was the fact that they took money without asking and refused to put it back in timely fashion.

i should also mention that i have a degree in technology management and i'm very familiar with e-commerce laws.

i will assuredly get my money back and i will continue to warn people so that they don't have a bad experience, too.

yes, i hate large companies taking advantage of people.

12. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

read the link i posted. that's the law. it pertains exactly to what you're saying. there is not an equal sign between a hand written signature and a click. they are not the same. :)