Amazed at new speaker - Eminence Wizard

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by VBCheeseGrater, Mar 22, 2012.

1. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

So my Eminence Wizard came today, i installed it in my Blackstar HT20 combo and played around at home with it and was thoroughly impressed, louder, clearer, more articulate, Pinch harmonics, all amazing...

I just got back from rehearsal and i'm really amazed now. I'm not normally one to bash cheap gear but the rocket 50 seems like junk after a go with the new speaker - and its not even broken in. Here's what i noticed in a band setting, with a loud drummer.

1. Had gobs of volume to spare. My amp was set lower on the preamps and about 25% lower on the master (well below half) and still sounded louder than before
    2. Cleans - way cleaner and more bold, warm, and again headroom to spare. the difference here is really night and day, like a new amp. Before my cleans were breaking up undesireably just to be heard, now they are shimmering and warm with volume to spare.
    3. Distortion - Tons more clarity, and tighter bottom end :shred: - i set my gain around 11 oclock. I don't need a tube screamer anymore to tighten up palm mutes, or EQ in the loop. I used the EQ as a lead boost and it gave a SERIOUS volume boost, not just gain, mainly because the amp was nowhere near its limit. The sound i dial in at lower levels stays similar at band levels now. before it really started struggling and breaking up - in a not good way - at band levels.
    4. Can now play with chorus on the drive channel and the effect sounds clear and noticeable, before i'd leave it off to keep things cleaner

best $85 i ever spent. I would never had believed a speaker swap could have made this much difference without hearing it myself ... obviously pretty stoked about this, so thanks for listening....

2. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Great to hear. I'm not a fan of those rockets at all. Their 70/80s sound much better to my ears for a budget speaker.

3. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

Sounds amazing man. I really want to try some Eminence speakers with my amps!!!!1

Grats man. Do you know or remember what the Wizard is supposed to be similar to, in the Celestion line up? I forgot.

4. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

says g12H30 here. I've also heard its a cross of the Private Jack and Governor on the Eminence site. Honestly, i'm not experienced enough with swaps to give you much personal input on that. It definitely handled the lows much better. No flub, nice & tight

All i can deduce from this is either...

A. Rocket 50 is complete junk
    B. Wizard is totally amazing

prolly a little of both :)

5. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

Awesome man. Cheers for the link :metal: