amatuer 2x12 cabinet build

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by SYLrules88, Apr 18, 2020.

1. SYLrules88

SYLrules88 I play drums!

Hello, long time no see, ssorg!

I've been wanting to build my own speaker cabinet for a long time but never had the tools or a place to work. I've been wanting to get into woodworking forever as well, so I've started acquiring some tools. I don't have a workshop still but I have a large covered back porch that's made for a nice work area.

I've decided that I don't really want to tote around my Marshall 1960A everywhere for every gig, and using a 2x12 instead will allow me to tote all of my gear plus an extra passenger or two. I'm very much an amateur at this and made newb mistakes along the way, but it wasn't anything that I wasn't able to correct. I modeled this after a 1960A but didn't have it at my house to reference while I was building this, was just kind of going at it off of memory.

I went with 3/4" AraucoPly (pine plywood) for the sides and back and 1/2" oak for the baffles. Not the ideal wood choices, but really this was more of a 'can I build it' project. I couldn't find any 3/4"x3/4" strips of anything at Lowe's, maybe I wasn't looking in the correct place. Went with whiteboard 1x2s for the internal frames
    [​IMG]

Cats conducting in-process inspection of the top, bottom, and sides. Initially I used just screws but wised up later and glued it all, removed the screws, and filled the holes with wood filler.
    [​IMG]

Adding in the back internal frame pieces. Some were a tight fit, hence the mallet haha.
    [​IMG]

The outdoor cat testing the baffles. I don't own a table saw, miter/chop, or router. All cuts were done with a circular saw or jig saw.
    [​IMG]

Baffles cut and screwed in. Originally, the top to bottom dimension of the top baffle was too small and there was about a 1/4" gap between the two pieces, so I had to redo that one, and I also cut the bottom edge of the top baffle to match the angle of everything else to further close the gap. I jacked up the baffles sizes clearly, but I test-fit some speakers and they will still be able to mount to the baffles just fine. It passed the cats' second inspection.
    [​IMG]

Glued on a 1x2 strip between the two baffles and a 2x2 going from that 1x2 to the back panel cover. Once that was all one solid piece, removed the baffles for painting. Used three coats of rustoleum flat black. It looks really good dried now and I won't even need to sand it.
    [​IMG]

Before I glued the braces on the baffles, I had attempted to remove the whole piece from the cabinet but was unable to. Had to take it all out and cut 1/2" from each side of each baffle. Now, I can only take the whole thing out if I remove the top brace at the rear of the cabinet.

Last night, I ordered handles, corner protectors, a small jack plate, dark green vinyl, and black/gold grille cloth. I'll look for water/based contact cement at the hardware stores. I'm going to glue in the rear braces (except for the top) after I install the vinyl on the cabinet. Unless the vinyl doesn't need to extend more than 3/4" into the cabinet and go under the braces like I had planned? I've never applied carpet/vinyl covering on a box before, and I ordered enough to practice a few corners on some scrap wood first. I'm at a standstill now until these materials come in, and understandably it could be a few weeks. Overall, I'm pretty happy that I didn't totally botch this thing up. I suppose I'll see more areas for improvement if I hear any rattle once I install speakers and start using it. Any questions or critiques are welcome! Thus far, this has been way more fun than frustrating, so I can see myself doing this more in the future!

JimF, laxu, c7spheres and 9 others like this.
  2. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Looks real good, very clean work! I think it will turn out great.

I made a front-loaded 2x12 last summer, mostly for fun, and I just used contact cement spray (a brand called Trim-Fix), as well as staples at the seams. I also used some thin, soft carpet I found on eBay called ‘van liner’. Mostly since the carpet is stretchy, hides mistakes more than vinyl ever would, and it won’t leave my house to get dirty.

what speakers are you planning on?

3. SYLrules88

SYLrules88 I play drums!

thanks! I was going to buy some V30s since I've never actually owned them. Might try out a v30/g12t75 combo in there too.

I have an old 2x12 half open back avatar cab with one working g12k80. I don't really like how it sounds but I don't know if its the cab or the speaker, so ill experiment with that one as well and see what I like.

mnemonic likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

why not also consider the Peavey Invective speaker combo of V30 + Creamback just to be different?

5. SYLrules88

SYLrules88 I play drums!

I suppose I could! Never tried a creamback either but would love to.

6. Wrecklyss

Wrecklyss Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder

You're off to a good start! Cats love incomplete projects.

Get yourself a router with a couple rounders and an edger and life will get much easier! I had a similar start, and when my homebuilt projects actually started sounding and looking good, it grew into a very fun side hustle.

PM me if you ever need help sourcing drivers, cab hardware, telex, grill cloth, tools, or run into some issues along the way.

Keep the pictures coming!

SYLrules88 likes this.
  7. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

That is some really nice looking carpentry so far.

8. SYLrules88

SYLrules88 I play drums!

This first pic was when it was still wet, this is three coats dried. Looks pretty smooth!
    [​IMG]

I received the grille cloth and corner protectors tonight. Promptly installed the cloth. Thankfully this material is thicker than I was expecting so it should be protected from things that might tear thinner cloth.
    [​IMG]

The corner protectors I have discovered are designed for rounded edges/corners. Other than sandpaper and elbow grease, I don't have the tooling to make good rounded edges, so I may just order some more squared off corners. Tolex is due in Sunday or early next week, and I forgot to order enough for the back panel so I had to order an extra yard after the first order had already shipped haha.

Also, let me know if you can't see the images. Not sure if it's Imgur or what but they kind of come and go for me.

mnemonic likes this.
  9. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

That's sounds like its gonna look killer when complete. Building your own really is a great way to go. I built mine 15 years ago and they are still solid.

10. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

At some point I wanted to build a cab too.. then I realized a Harley Benton 212 VIntage30 cost as much (or slightly less) as 2 Vintage30's. :scratch:

That said, I still feel like building one but then I might as wel throw in a pair of EV12L's while I'm at it. With 25mm thick plywood istead of Harley B's, idk, 15mm.

+1 on the router. That is one handy piece of gear! Can't imagine building a cab without one.

c7spheres and benny like this.
  11. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

This is awesome. I'd like to build my own one day too.

Also, I can't see the images in the last post unless I reply to the post.

12. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Looks great. I would order Mojotone tolex glue for this. I used a similar product made in my country and it was really easy to work with. I recommend watching Uncle Doug's videos on YouTube on how to apply tolex, those really helped me.

Also round the corners a bit more than you think, after tolex mine came out a bit more angular than I had aimed for.

13. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I am always very stoked to see people build their own cabs, my brother and I built ours. It’s a fun project. Tip: measure twice cut once is easier to remember if you save the majority of the beer drinking for AFTER the project! Haha.

c7spheres likes this.
  14. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

Thought I read the Harley Benton V30's were a cheaper Chinese made version. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm considering the HB V30 2x12 atm, but I like building stuff. But the speaker price is a bit of a catch...

15. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I don't know that much about speakers but I thought Celestion moved production from England to China altogether. So it wouldn't matter what speakers you buy eventually.
    Can someone confirm or correct me on this?

Bobo likes this.
  16. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

All Mesa V30s and SOME Marshall branded (Marshall Vintage sticker) V30s are still UK.

Otherwise, pretty much everybody else has China only. There were some rumors about Orange cabs iirc, but I can't speak to the veracity of those; none of the other brands have UK though for sure. Mesa sells their UK version retail online to anybody who wants em, but all other new in box retail V30s from anywhere else are Chinese. Marshall Vintage UK are used market only afaik.

Other speakers, it varies. T75s, Marshall or not, are all Chinese. Some Heritage-series I think it was called (=/= H30s) were UK. Some, like Greenbacks, could be both.

Bobo and Merrekof like this.
  17. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

So you are telling me that Mesa (UK made) V30's cost around 131€ and the China made V30's are 129€???? :scratch:

18. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Yes

19. SYLrules88

SYLrules88 I play drums!

It's done! I finished up gluing the tolex Sunday and assembled everything the next day. I ordered some different corner protectors that are squared off but turned out to be REALLY small. I may install them any just for shits and giggles.

I made the damn thing a little too small, and somehow I installed one of the handles 1/2" closer to the front than the other one, and there's just barely enough room to fit the top speaker in place. I never thought rounded off corners would make such a huge difference, but I wish I'd had the tooling to do it.

The tolex portion of this was by far the most difficult part. I did a poor job overall and jacked up some of the corners pretty good despite taking my time and reading a particular internet tutorial over and over. Ah well, there's always next time.

Unlike most projects that I finish, I can say that I had fun during every step of this and I don't hate it. I most definitely want to do this again and get that tolex bit correct!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And of course a sloppy sound check:

KR250 and Bobo like this.
  20. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

You're inspiring me to do a diy cab build...and with matching MT15.

But I need to study and then ultimately overthink cab design and speaker options :frantic: