AM Special Strat PU

Bevo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello

My Strat is a great playing guitar and I love everything about it except the bridge HB, its weak.
My goal is to swap out the PU with something that has a more metal tone yet blends well with the 5 way switch and work with the stock tone circuit.

Most of my music is Metallica, classic rock like Iron Maiden to modern metal Like Amon Amarath and Dying Fetus. I also love blues and Social Distortion type music.

This is the guitar specs, Ash body and Maple neck..

Bridge Pickup:

Atomic Humbucking

Pickup Switching:

5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup, Position 3. Middle Pickup, Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup, Position 5. Neck Pickup

Pickup Configuration:

H/S/S

Controls:

Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup) Greasebucket™ Tone Circuit, (Rolls Off Highs without Adding Bass) Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup), Greasebucket™ Tone Circuit

Special Electronics:

Greasebucket™ Tone Circuit (Rolls off High Without Adding Bass)

ffaaedb5440c82321514517cff90b9eb.png

AlexRuger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the DiMarzio Air Zone. Beefy and powerful but low enough gain to stay clear and mix well with single coils. I'm actually selling one, if you care.

Other than that--

You can't really go wrong with any hot PAF style. Iron Maiden's huge in to the DiMarzio Super Distortion, if I'm not mistaken. That'll help with your Metallica and Social Distortion as well. I really dig the DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary and Duncan Antiquity models; I haven't yet ventured in to the likes of companies like Bare Knuckle, but from what I've heard they're awesome as well. As far as blues goes--how often do you hear a bridge humbucker in blues? It's nearly always a neck single-coil, so you're covered there.

Bevo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Alex

Good advice for sure!
There are a few PAF's floating around my area and hopefully a white one.

My blues are more of the Bonamassa type and I love the tone he gets, backing of a high output HB will work as well as lowering my gain.

AlexRuger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice. Yeah, if you dig the Bonamassa tone, PAF is the way to go. Getting one that's a little beefier in the lows and mids will help since you're throwing it in and a Strat and he usually uses a Les Paul.

snowblind56

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Try a Duncan Custom 5. It's plenty hot, but has a vintage voicing. It's my favorite pickup for a Strat.