Am i the only one using heavier gauges in standard tuning on a 7?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by DaiTheFlu, Jun 18, 2020.

1. DaiTheFlu

DaiTheFlu SS.org Regular

Ive been stressing over this for about a year. I play 10-48's on my 6 string guitars and they feel a little sloppy to me but it works for a six. But when i got my second seven string (an LTD sc-207 (25.5 scale) that i completely upgraded, new Fishman Fluence Modern 7's, tone pros bridge, Hipshot locking tuners and of course i added some extra 3 way switches one for each pickup so i can select inner coil, outer coil or humbucker for each pickup (i do this on all my humbucker guitars as well) and voice one/voice two on the tone push/pull). Anyways im using a custom set for that guitar that goes as follows for standard tuning .0105, .014, .018, .026, .038, .050, .068
    Ive been through every possible combination for standard tuning 7 string gauges and this is the only set that feels right. But i feel like im crazy cause everyone on the fourms always talking about .009-60 for standard. I do feel like im loosing a bit of tone on the E, and A in my set but using regular gauges for those strings just feels to loose an weak. Anyways any feedback/comments welcome. And yes im aware of the adage "if it works it works" and "if it aint broke dont fix it". I just want to hear from others who might be using similar gauges or from people who maybe thought their regular gauges were to thin on their 7 string but over time got used to the smaller gauges. My ultimate goal is getting the best tone in standard tuning as possible while still maintaining playability. That 68 for B is the only string ive used that has actually accurately and consistently intonated.

works0fheart and fps like this.
  2. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i use 9s on my 7s and 10s on my 6s. my 7 is 26.5'' and we are in drop A so i don't really need thicker strings but its totally personally preference.

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

do whatever feels right to you.

but the feel difference between a 6 and a 7 is why I only have long scale or multiscale sevens now.

4. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

I'm tuning my 7s to G standard, so like .070s and up.

5. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I use the .011-.056 Dadarrio 6 string pack and add a .070 or .074 for the 7th string. I use mostly B standard, but do also like tuning up a 1/2 step to C standard.

Themistocles likes this.
  6. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I'm in the fat string group. I tune to Bb standard. My gauges are 10 or 11, 13, wound 24, 30,44,56,70, I also like high action and high tension using 5 springs. It feels better and is really dynamic. You can't choke the guitar out like with thin srings and low action. It's a really different feel and tone. The down side is extremely fast stuff, bends and legato is harder, sometimes impossible.

7. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I used to run 9-52+70 for standard/drop A but I quickly realized that it just wasn't working out for me. This was back when I used a very cheap 7 string, an old Ibanez RG7421 (or was it a 7321) and thought that "hey, maybe getting thicker strings will make this play and sound a bit better." take a guess: it made it worse. I had problems with the tone going dull very quickly after a few weeks of using the strings, tension issues where the string quite honestly wouldn't jive with my picking style, and overall just didn't like the experience.

It took me a while of slowly decreasing gauges (ie: 70 > 68, 68 > 66) but I ended up at approximately 9.5-44+54 for standard/drop A, however I use it all the way down to drop F# without problems and it spends most of it's time in drop Ab. I just felt the tone on the lower strings was much brighter and that it responded better to my picking style, which is normally extremely hard picking using a very large pick (normally Huf Mini Anvil XL but also Jazz III XLs) but I angle the pick downwards towards the string rather than keeping it perpendicular like a lot of other players I know. This picking style cancels out most/all of the potential bowing that can happen when using thin strings, but I find that it drastically increases the bowing when playing strings under much higher tension than I currently use. Like if I use 56 at B I notice I have a ton of more issues than I do when I use that same 56 gauge down in like Ab or G.

I also had a fairly similar transition on 8 strings, I use to run a 90 gauge string for the low F# and just found it to suck the life out of the string. These days I run a 72 and have absolutely no problems even down to Eb/D. Do note that my 8 has a 28 inch scale length for the low end.

There's merit to both thicker and thinner string gauges, but it honestly just comes down to your picking/playing style and how you prioritize the results of differing string gauges (tension, tone, feel, stability, intonation, etc). For me, I prioritize a bright clear tone and feel with my specific picking style. Guys like Jason Richardson (who picks the hell out of his strings) run 58s consistently down to G/F# on 25.5 inch guitars without any issues, but similarly you'll hear of doom/sludge/stoner metal dudes running 74s for B and A.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Zhysick, AkiraSpectrum and c7spheres like this.
  8. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I don't have a 7, but I've been using .015-.067 for C Standard and and .0125-.055 for E or F (half step up) on electric for a very long time now.
    While bigger strings are less common on electric, where the strings tend to be pretty light, on steel-string acoustic guitar .013-.056 is pretty common for E Standard and heavier sets are easy to find (I started on acoustic with those gauges which is why I use heavy gauges on electric). If it works for you there's no reason to change it, you can't hurt the neck.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  9. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

I use a 10 46 and Dr DDT 65 for drop a and b standard. You would think it would feel weird but it doesn’t.

10. Strtsmthng

Strtsmthng SS.org Regular

Count me in for the fatter strings. On my 7s I run 10-48+70 tuned drop G#, and these are 26.5s. 7 strings with 25.5 inch or less dont work for me, I can't stand the low tension.

11. Themistocles

Themistocles SS.org Regular

I use similar strings.

12. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I use 9-54 on my main 7 which is 25.5, tuned to B flat standard currently. Whatever feels right to you is the right answer.

13. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

I’ve used 9-54s on all my guitars and have for many, many years. I did experiment with 10s quite a few times (a bit too much on my RG8) but I always found myself going back to 9s.

Wildebeest likes this.
  14. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

The majority of my guitars tend to have 'regular' or 'lighter' gauges because I prefer the tone/sound and feel of slinkier strings. But I do have some that have 'heavier' gauges. It depends on the tuning and the particular guitar that determines my string gauge. Some I like slinkier feeling and some I like medium-to-heavy feeling.

I only have one 7-string and its a 25.0" scale which is in Drop A running a 10-59 set.

The answer you aren't looking for:
    No need to justify your choices on gear. You do what you like. Everyone likes different things and that's the beauty of being a guitarist, not everyone is the same. Whatever gauge of strings you choose will have pros/cons, so its always up to player's choice to determine what works best for their needs.

I totally get where you're coming from though. We all want to know that we aren't 'weird' or 'doing it wrong'. At the end of the day we are on this guitar forum to experience the variety of different approaches taken by other guitarists--that's the fun of it, and what makes it interesting!

15. Slaeyer

Slaeyer SS.org Regular

Whatever makes you feel most comfortable playing your guitar is okay I guess.
    I switched from 10-46 to 09-42 for all my 25,5" 6 strings in standard tuning and added a low 64 on my 25,5" 7 string in drop a. On my 25,5-27" 7 string I use a 60 for the low A.
    Currently I'm actually considering to switch to a 08 set for my 25,5" 6 strings... Let's see how that turns out... :D

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  16. fps

fps Kit

If that's your thing, and sounds how you like and feels how you like, then that's fantastic! It's part of YOUR sound, and part of what makes your playing special. I wouldn't second guess it, if it's great, I'd evangelise it!

I have a 68, but it's in use for Ab on a 25.5 scale. The great thing is, neither of us is right or wrong.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  17. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

I tune my 7's up to Drop B with 9-64 gauge strings. Drop A I'd probably need a 68-70.

18. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

On a 25.5” 7, I use either a 10.5-48 or 11-49 set and either a 68 or 70 for the B/dropped A. I’ve tried the 10-59 set and the 59 feels really loose and feeble.

19. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

That set doesn't seem to be abnormally heavy. It sounds like a nce sweet spot between the D'addario 10s and GHS 11s I like. If anything, I think you've done a great job figuring out what works best for you. :)

20. Jon Pearson

Jon Pearson SS.org Regular

I run a 10.5 - 72 for drop Ab, so not too far from standard, and it works great. If you like equal tension across your strings, you pretty much have to go with a fat 7th string on a 25.5 scale guitar

c7spheres likes this.