Am I the only one that hates that this Poplar Burl Burst trend is getting more prevalent?

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm going to use this as an opportunity to post this absolutely epic PRS with a burled maple top (and back). It'll only cost you $16K.

bwfvghhp9m4jba5hp2ch.jpg

hbllbxhzccueitmyb7ma.jpg
.:barf:

That is TOUGH...:lol:

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The majority of the poplar burls and buckeye burls are underwhelming, but if you're willing to spend the money on a custom shop instrument, they can be mesmerizing with choice tops. The top on the wasabi regius in my avatar is eye poplar and looks incredible in person and photos.
Poplar burl tops definitely vary a lot.

I love this (other than the fact that the poplar top finishes short of the edge on the arm contour):

1664835242084.png

But would cry if I ordered one and ended up with this:

1664835308500.png

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Poplar burl tops definitely vary a lot.

I love this (other than the fact that the poplar top finishes short of the edge on the arm contour):

View attachment 115263

But would cry if I ordered one and ended up with this:

View attachment 115264

reminds me of an RGA321 I had with the shittiets top I've ever seen. AAA my ass

72667409-10158343812965839-4701052949143486464-n.jpg

regarding the topic; can't add much more. Jason Richardson JPSomething with the Buckeye Top still looks incredible to me, and I really like most Premiums with poplar tops, but the shit I been seeing from low/mid quality instruments has been terrible

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
reminds me of an RGA321 I had with the shittiets top I've ever seen. AAA my ass

72667409-10158343812965839-4701052949143486464-n.jpg

regarding the topic; can't add much more. Jason Richardson JPSomething with the Buckeye Top still looks incredible to me, and I really like most Premiums with poplar tops, but the shit I been seeing from low/mid quality instruments has been terrible
I also own an RGA321F and the top is rather underwhelming (especially compared to my RG8520). At least I got what I was expecting, as I bought it used. I like the blue burst finish enough that I wouldn't mind if the top underneath was completely plain - same goes for my Cort strat with a transparent blue finish on a bland basswood body.

1664840324382.png

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
I also own an RGA321F and the top is rather underwhelming (especially compared to my RG8520). At least I got what I was expecting, as I bought it used. I like the blue burst finish enough that I wouldn't mind if the top underneath was completely plain - same goes for my Cort strat with a transparent blue finish on a bland basswood body.

View attachment 115268

the light isn't the best in your picture, but I can see some figure beneath the top. I found that it was a common issue in Ibanez during those years (2000-2010) that the painting technique they used wasn't particulary good, for example, the tops in most Ibanez RG3120 always were incredible, but the ones in red got all the figure buried beneath layers and layers of stain

on the other hand, im almost sure my RGA was a mislabelled RGA121 :lol:

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the light isn't the best in your picture, but I can see some figure beneath the top. I found that it was a common issue in Ibanez during those years (2000-2010) that the painting technique they used wasn't particulary good, for example, the tops in most Ibanez RG3120 always were incredible, but the ones in red got all the figure buried beneath layers and layers of stain

on the other hand, im almost sure my RGA was a mislabelled RGA121 :lol:
Sorry, not much I can do about the lighting atm. Here's a photo from the previous owner's listing, where glare also obscures the subtle figuring:

1664842589280.png

For comparison, this is my RG8520 with an "AAA" top:

1664842453936.png

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful, yes, but extremely difficult to get your hands on plentiful supplies of it due to protections laid in place on California redwood trees.
Aahh that explains it. I actually like flamed/rippled redwood better, and I never quite understood why nobody used it more since I thought it was a relatively common wood. I was wrong.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Aahh that explains it. I actually like flamed/rippled redwood better, and I never quite understood why nobody used it more since I thought it was a relatively common wood. I was wrong.
Here in the states those trees are about as revered as apple pie, football, and Willie Nelson. The trees are fucking HUGE too, I mean MASSIVE. Some have little tunnels carved in them so cars can drive through. They grow in California and no where else on earth, and only 5% of them are left from early 1900's logging and its extremely sad.

1664888508979.png

Doesn't stop shitheads from fucking up the parks with litter and poachers etc.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Here in the states those trees are about as revered as apple pie, football, and Willie Nelson. The trees are fucking HUGE too, I mean MASSIVE. Some have little tunnels carved in them so cars can drive through. They grow in California and no where else on earth, and only 5% of them are left from early 1900's logging and its extremely sad.

View attachment 115323

Doesn't stop shitheads from fucking up the parks with litter and poachers etc.
Thank you for pointing that out to me. It feels like something I should have already known. I've known about redwood forests being in peril, but somehow I had subconsciously always assumed that the lumber we see going around today is of ethical sourcing... which might not be the case. Sort of like it's done with Hawaiian koa. (Which is why koa is hard and expensive to come by, as it's *normally* only taken from naturally fallen trees.) It seems that burls are especially problematic, from the little reading I've done just now. Will keep all this in mind if ever I want to go with redwood on a guitar.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Thank you for pointing that out to me. It feels like something I should have already known. I've known about redwood forests being in peril, but somehow I had subconsciously always assumed that the lumber we see going around today is of ethical sourcing... which might not be the case. Sort of like it's done with Hawaiian koa. (Which is why koa is hard and expensive to come by, as it's *normally* only taken from naturally fallen trees.) It seems that burls are especially problematic, from the little reading I've done just now. Will keep all this in mind if ever I want to go with redwood on a guitar.
Don't get me wrong, its one of my favorites as well, but just explains why its so rarely used. Check this quilt on this redwood topped Kiesel...
1664898880750.png

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, its one of my favorites as well, but just explains why its so rarely used. Check this quilt on this redwood topped Kiesel...
View attachment 115332
Redwood has, to me, the most dramatic flames/quilts, to the point they almost look fake. That thing there is beautiful. Not usually a big fan of Kiesels, (with exceptions) but I can't argue with that one.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
From an environmental perspective, it is ethically questionable to build new guitars out of wood at all. Or, just to build new guitars, at all. On the other hand, there is no such thing as ethical consumption under late capitalism, so everything is a matter of compromise and extent.

I'm for sure on team "don't make guitars out of endangered woods that are the product of logging," though.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry, not much I can do about the lighting atm. Here's a photo from the previous owner's listing, where glare also obscures the subtle figuring:

View attachment 115271

For comparison, this is my RG8520 with an "AAA" top:

View attachment 115270
@kamello I would guess that the top on my RG8520 was stained black, then sanded and then finished blue, but that the RGA321Fs were just stained blue - resulting in less contrast between the light/dark areas of the maple. Skipping a step would have helped to keep the cost of the RGAs down (they were very competitively priced when they were released).