Am I Stepping Out of Bounds?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Politics of Ecstasy, Sep 4, 2019.

1. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

@Politics of Ecstasy If you want to hear the 81-8 bridge in action, listen to Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan by Deftones; Stef was using 81’s his sig 8’s

Veldar and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  2. Nick

Nick SS.org Regular

I would not get the m80m unless you exclusively want to play meshuggah and exclusively Martin's parts.

I owned one and it was great fun for playing along to meshuggah but I found no other use for it at all. The high strings are usable for some chimey clean stuff but little else, the scale means they are very shrill and anything other than 9s are unpleasant to play.

That guitar is a tool for a singular purpose and very good at what it does but that's all it does. If that is what you want and you know that going in, go for it!

Politics of Ecstasy and The906 like this.
  3. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

Don't bother with the blackouts. They're scooped and compressed af.

Get the 81-8X and call it a day. I've tried 808's, Blackouts, and 57/66-8 sets. The 81-8X owns them all hands down.

Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  4. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

i had blackouts and they were anything but scooped, if anything they had too much mids. They were an abrasive in your face pickup which is great for certain sounds and kinds of metal but I could never get them to dial back. The 808s sounded kinda flubby in the bottom end, and the same with the 707s. I wasn't overly impressed with either one. I played a couple of the 6 string x models and wasn't super impressed. Again the 8 string version could be very different. I did enjoy the 57/66 set i tried out. They seemed to be a little more of a usable pallet in that they did metal well but sounded good doing stuff with a less gain.

5. AxiomXIII

AxiomXIII SS.org Regular

It'll prob be the 808X for me tho because barely any EU dealers have the 81-8 or 81-8X in stock. US shipping kills it for me sadly

6. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I disagree that a 2228 is easier to sell/trade than a M80M. I have seen 2228s sitting around for quite some time but M80Ms for a fair price seem to sell without problem.

7. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

As an owner of a M80M, I super don't agree with this. The pickup is beautiful. The position of it does mean it has a bit of a spiky sound, but that's much more about the proximity to the bridge imo. With a bit of tone control tweaking and paying attention to picking hand position you can smooth it out and pull a decent lead sound. A bit of delay and/or reverb to soften it up doesn't hurt either though.

As for it not having clarity for extended chords - I definitely don't agree. If you play it through an amp with plenty of headroom , it's clear as day. If I'm experimenting with weird chords and voicings, it's often the first guitar I pick up. The other cool thing about it is that because of the longer scale, it's easier to play complex chords in higher positions - where your fingers would be getting in the way of each other on a regular scale guitar.

Admittedly, I do use mine primarily for metal riffage - but there's plenty of other styles you can use it for. I've used mine as a faux-bass with an acoustic guitarist and singer, I've used it to play Cure-ish stuff, and even some twangy sounding strummed chords. I don't think the guitar is really as limiiting as you think.

Edit: The RG2228 is undoubtedly a more versatile guitar. I just felt the need to chime in on the M80M because I feel like it's a bit misrepresented in this thread.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  8. flufferpuff

flufferpuff SS.org Regular

I would definitely not go for an M80M as your first 8-string. When I got my first, it was a pretty typical 27" scale. This was still enough to completely fuck me up. I felt like a beginner again for two weeks after getting it. You get used to it, but if you switch between 6 and 8 string a lot as I did, your muscle memory gets all sorts of screwed up. I imagine it would be worse with a nearly 30" scale.

Not to mention, my upper register was pretty shrill with Fluence Moderns at 27". It takes a bit more to coax a good tone past the 12th fret on a 27" scale - again, something exacerbated by an even longer scale length. This is part of the reason multi-scale guitars exist. The high strings simply sound like shit when the scale length is too long - plus they're way tighter.

9. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Straight scale above 27" is going to be a lot to adapt to beyond just the extra string. I've had several at 27" and played several fanned fret guitars. The fan makes a big difference if you like to play lead at all. I ended up cutting the straight scale stuff loose and ordered a fanned fret instrument because it's going to suit my playing much better. There are some instruments out there with a fan that are worth your attention if you're interested in them as options. Kiesels can be had for a decent price used since to my knowledge, Ibanez doesn't make a fanned 8.

10. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

Ibanez maked the RGIF8, which is a fanned fret guitar - although it feels like a bit of a token effort from them. The fan is 27.2 - 25.5, which is honestly not really worth the bother imo.

I spent a bit of time with one in a local store a while back and was frankly not that impressed.

11. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy SS.org Regular

You guys were all right in certain aspects, as I finally tried them both. The 2228 is like a j custom practically. The M80M is nice, very nice, but not quite AS finely refined as the 2228. However, the M80M all around sounds better, and the neck has a better profile for the 8 string. Maybe its that scale or the Lundgren over the EMG, but its definitely a much better sounding 8 string as far as rhythm goes.... (but no neck pup?)

At the same time, the neck is so long, 4” longer than my usual 7 string. Now the 2228 has a C shaped neck which is also very thin, so with the 27” scale it isn’t TOO much different than the 26.5” ‘baritone’ 7 strings I’ve played...So there is a real back and forth between the two.

I did what anybody would do and I took the one I could get for the lowest amount, but I am kind of regretting it lol I dont have pain but I’m not really “feeling” the 8 string....the transition isnt like 6 to 7 on a universe..
    So did i step out of bounds or should i give it some play time to adjust?

12. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Shorten your strap.

Thaeon and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  13. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

Yes, shorten your strap or play in classical position. Also spend a lot more time with it. Transition from 6 to 7 is not at all like the transition from 7 to 8.

Thaeon and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  14. Politics of Ecstasy

Higher does help

15. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Once I went to my dealer to test a M80M. Made the mistake of trying the 2228 also. No way I was going to buy the M80M after that. Today I own a RG2228 I'm thinking either selling or buying new pickups for. Where do you live where you can't find one under 1k (USD) ?

16. Politics of Ecstasy

That’s my point dude
    I already bought an 8 string
    Trying to get a feel for it

17. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

Wich one ? ? ?

18. Politics of Ecstasy

Both
    But I’m returning one for sure

19. Politics of Ecstasy

I see you are in the same boat as I am. Lol Dont know which one to sell so you wanna get rid of both right? Lol

The M80M sounds better than any other 8 string I’ve heard, but the scale is RIDICK!!!! On top of that, its a very thin D/U profile like hybrid that makes the neck a little more comfortable than the C shaped 2228.

The 2228 on the other hand, is way more accessible and playable. It feels like a super long scale baritone, while still retaining guitar qualities, where the M80M feels almost like a Bass, especially if you try to play in a seated position. I threw in the 81-8 but it doesnt match the Lundgren, and maybe thats because partially due to scale. It’s just hard to even give up on the 2228 because the quality is impeccable, just feels like I’m giving up too early on it.

Anyway, I don’t think I can keep the M80M because its way too long scale. I mean, I don’t see myself playing anything on the upper register, without the neck pickup as well....it’s just meant to play djent rhythm but DUH its the Meshuggah model.

So you all were right, and you pretty much called it.....

Thanks for your input

Thaeon likes this.
  20. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Stick with it. 8s are not like a 7+1. You have to rethink how you use those lowest notes a bit and its a very physical instrument. Give your body time to adapt, but stick with the one that makes you want to play it the most.

BTW: You might not dig an Oni 8 then since you've been talking about them in the other thread. It's only about .25" shorter than the M80M. It does have multiscale going for it, but if you found the M80M too long, then you might not click with an Essi. I'd hate to see someone save that kind of coin, wait that amount of time, and then not click with it. Maybe and Essi 7? Neck shape on Oni is asymmetrical and not super thin if a thin U is your bag.