Am I Nuts? Or does the Black Dog modern metal clip on the bkp site kill all others?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by sol niger 333, Dec 10, 2011.

1. sol niger 333

sol niger 333 I like stuff

Thanks dude thats great to know. Much obliged for the test clips you've done too they've been such an enormous help. I'd love to hear the rebel yell playing the modern metal clip though, is that floating around or did you not want to trod on steve stevens toes? :wavey: Also last question, was the black dog in the modern metal clip in a relic strat or les paul custom?? Cheers again master Noll :metal:

2. sol niger 333

sol niger 333 I like stuff

Yeah I heard these clips too. Holy fuck..hospital :flame:

3. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

Yeah, Nolly is awesome at mixing and production.

4. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

We didn't record a Modern Metal one with the Rebel Yell, but it's certainly capable of it. We used Rebel Yells in 6 and 7-strings for my band's metal record, which you could check out for free here if you're interested: Red Seas Fire
    Also, you might notice the BKP site recently got a modern metal clip for the Emerald, which is another great vintage-hot pickup for metal stuff - super tight and aggressive.

The Black Dog was in a 70s Les Paul custom, as were all of the other humbucker metal clips.

5. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

My favorite modern tone on their site is the aftermath, and on it's death metal sample I like it even better.
    Black Dog sounds great as well, as does many others.
    My favorite lead tone I think is the emerald on it's modern sample. It really sounds like a single coil on roids. Awsome.

6. rippedflesh89

rippedflesh89 SS.org Regular

how would the black dog sound in a basswood guitar? it seems like there might be too much midrange for the already extremely midrangey tone that basswood has

7. Rayan22

Rayan22 Coat of Arms UAE

I've just received my BKP package. I got Aftermaths for my 7, and nailbombs for my 6. However, I'm curious to know how much better the pickups will sound after i replace the pots and capacitor with the BKP ones? I've been told it makes a hell of a difference, so fingers crossed!

Nolly, do you use the BKP pots and caps in your guitars too? How much do they enhance the signal quality?

Black dogs sound better as I listen to them more. Are they part of the newer or older product range of BKP releases?

8. rug

rug SS.org Regular

Those sound really, really good. For my money though, I think the alnico Warpig clip at around 9 seconds, with the 3 palm muted chords, is some of the gnarliest fucking tone ever.

I did like that tone a lot though. Enough to really want one now. :D

9. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

I apologize for necro bumping this thread, but I've searched this a couple times and this is the most relevant to my question, but still doesn't contain the answer im looking for.

I just want to know if the Black Dog still remains relatively tight under gain/lower tunings? The modern metal clip on the site sounds amazing and this would be going into my LP Standard. I tend to play thrashier stuff in E Flat and the 57 classic + in my traditional plus is just too soft on the low end. I tend to lean towards low-mid output pickups with an open character, so I figured the Black Dog would work well here.

10. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I am a big fan of the Black Dog and had two of them. My post on the BKP thread comparing HD and BD is under my name there ("Alex"). It refers to the first one I had, which was in an SG and it sounded awesome. Very rich and detailed mid range which made it very crushing for metal, but what made it so great was that it sounded incredibly toneful for every style, not just metal. I sold the guitar later in 2012 though, I think.

I had a second one which I used in my ESP Eclipse, it sounded also good, but unfortunately my Eclipse is a rather dark-sounding one; it has quite a lot of bass and lower mids acoustically and with the BD lower mids it was a bit too much/made it bit too "big" on the low end" - I have since gone back to the brighter EMGs 81x.

The neck pickup doesn't get a lot of praise, but it is very nice as well.

It is a great pickup and you can disregard its low output as an issue. The only thing I would recommend is to NOT use it in a dark-sounding guitar, as you can struggle to get the tightness then.

Three extra things: (1) single-line notes on leads have a lot of roundness and weight behind them - very nice!
    (2) It does sound more on the "modern" than on the "vintage" side of PAFs. If you are looking for the more "vintage" side the usual BKP recommendation is the VHII.
    (3) It does not track the low end as fast as a ceramic pickup, so please don't expect that.

If I ever get a new guitar again (I really shouldn't given that between work and family I don't have the time to play) the BD will be one of the main contenders for a pickup swap.

11. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I had a black dog set for a while, far from my first choice for metal but they do a very good job with the right rig/signal chain. Their clean tones are where they shine obviously so they are very versatile.

12. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YAm91Ivl8w

These guys have a few videos with Nolly's old BRJ 7 that was equipped with a Black Dog set. That lead me to trying them out and I really like their sound for Opeth style music and the 7 string version definitely sounds thick as hell under gain. Definitely worth a shot.

13. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 SS.org Regular

I have Black Dogs, Holy Divers, and Nailbombs in my LP Customs. Black Dogs are my favorite. They sound great for modern high gain. They are looser in the lows, though. I bet a Ceramic Black Dog would sound interesting.