Am I arching my picking hand's wrist "wrong"?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by WhoThenNow7, Dec 12, 2014.

1. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

Hey guys.. alright so I'm having a bit of an issue here. It may seem small but it has been driving me crazy to the point where I keep looking up shredders just to see if they are arching their wrist the way I do. Don't get me wrong, I understand everyone is different and that there only a few basic ways that most everyone would consider "right", but I just want an opinion, also because I want to know if the way I play is bad for my wrist.

I'm right handed, hold your arm our with your fingers extended and your wrist completely inline with your arm to make a straight line. Now, arch your wrist up slightly. This is how my wrist is when I'm playing lead.

Basically, I'm holding the pick and, let's say I'm playing lead starting on the lowest string, for example just playing scales to a metronome; my picking hands wrist will literally be resting on the body of the guitar, above the low string, and as I go down the scale, my wrist will then be covering the strings. Is this "normal" or "ok"?

Or, should my wrist be more inline with my arm instead of arching the way I do?

One last note, this is only when I'm playing lead. When I'm playing rhythm, I would say I have more of a traditional way of picking; my wrist is more inline with my arm. I also seem to curl all my fingers when playing lead, even though I'm holding the pick with only my index finger and thumb. When playing rhythm, I still hold it with my index finger and thumb, but all my other fingers aren't curled.

Thanks for the help!

2. pdbeaton87

pdbeaton87 SS.org Regular

Are you familiar with Rob 'Chappers' Chapman? He has a couple of good video's showing his picking technique. Check out the first one here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkxU_fzC1Io&list=UUCOIcdii1bQmfSPHeNNw4Qw and also be sure to watch the second part!

Chappers has a lot of good, super old videos from 5-7 years ago on anything and everything you could possibly want to learn. Check 'em out!

3. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the link! I watched the video.. and here's what I learned: The way I arch my wrist prevents me from using my thumb and index finger for any of the picking. The way I have been doing it has been strictly wrist. And while I have been seeing improvement in my speed, I knew there was something holding me back.. It'll only take a bit to get used to this way of picking, I'm sure it will help a ton. Thanks again!