Am I able to order a japanese 'berg in the US?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by oremus91, Feb 4, 2021.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

No this is the opposite of how things work.

Tyne bridges used to be made a handful at a time in a local workshop in Sweden. Not there made by the hundred in Asia somewhere.

Strandbergs have been made in Indonesia for years now, longer than anywhere ender but Sweden. They've gotten over any tooling costs at this point.

Cutting edge is only expensive in small batches. It's only risky at the start. This has got to be what, the 5th year of Indobergs?

surge and jco5055 like this.
  2. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

ah gotcha, for some reason I assumed since it's still rather unique tech it would be more expensive...then damn there's no reason at all to buy an Indoberg at those prices.

ArtDecade likes this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There is nothing unique about Strandberg's components or construction from a manufacturing standpoint. They're the same vaguely Strat-ish (or Tele-esque if we're talking the Salen), bolt-on, wooden job with conventional pickups, and mass produced hardware. Which is why contemporary musical instrument OEMs have no problem building them by the bushel.

Aristides is different. They have a unique material and process unlike common instrument production. Honestly, it's closer to making surfboards and marine components.

4. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

The only way an Indo Strandberg is worth these prices would be if they're actually paying the workers making them something closer to a good wage, and I'm going to guess that this is not the case.

I'm sure the people making the MIJ ones aren't paid that well either, and it's not like the parts are expensive.

5. MaxOfMetal

Not sure why you'd think that specifically. :scratch:

Wildebeest and surge like this.
  6. groverj3

I'm just assuming that anyone who builds production guitars probably doesn't get paid that well.

Could be wrong.

7. surge

surge SS.org Regular

Aristides tech and mfg is very impressive, highly suggest anyone interested warch some of their factory tour vids. They really did approach making guitars from a totally different angle. All of their guitars are made from perfectly constructed aluminum alloy molds that are accurate to like 1/1000th of a millimeter.

groverj3 likes this.
  8. MaxOfMetal

It's generally the same as any minimal to semi-skilled manufacturing job. Something around $15 to $30 per hour base depending on what you'd doing. The warehouse guys typically make the least, but operator/assembler stuff will usually hit the higher end of that range fairly easily.

Wildebeest and groverj3 like this.
  9. surge

surge SS.org Regular

Guitar workers in Japan may not be Instagram fuccbois posting about booking charter flights to Vegas every weekend, but on average they are treated and paid much better than their Indonesian counterparts, and their work speaks for itself the maj. of the time.

Emperoff, aesthyrian, Patxi and 2 others like this.
  10. groverj3

I don't doubt they get paid better than Indonesia. Labor in Japan is basically just as expensive as it is in the US now.

For sure, MIJ stuff is first tier quality. I just doubted that people doing the work were being compensated on par with how expensive the MIJ Strandbergs are.

11. MaxOfMetal

How do you think that breaks down though? It's not like it's one guy doing all the work, and even if it was, with a meager hourly rate what do you think the total payout would be?

If it takes one guy 100 hours or ten guys 10 hours, you're still splitting the same amount.

How much should 10 or even 20 individuals be paid for working on a single $4k guitar?

Wildebeest likes this.
  12. Supernaut

Supernaut SS.org Regular

They sell Indo Strandbergs for that price because people buy em at that price. They won't come down until people stop buying them.

One look at the UK reverb shows 22 used guitars on sale right now - not one is below £1,100 - they're holding their prices exceptionally well. Demand is high, so I wouldn't expect Indo Strandbergs to come down in price any time soon.

Emperoff likes this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

I don't think anyone disputes that.

It's just something to consider when deciding whether you want a genuinely good guitar or a Strandberg. If you want both, you're pretty much stuck with a J and the availability, specs, and pricing that comes with it.

I have plenty of Indo, SK, Chinese, etc. pieces of gear, and some of them were plenty expensive, but the quality was there, so no big deal. Unfortunately, Strandberg has lost sight of what their original ethos was, and what was once an evolving, forward thinking, open and available concept has fallen back on the tradition and brand emphasis that it was originally meant to buck.

I've worked on enough Indobergs to know that it's just simple apathy that these show up so sketchy. It's literally Rondo levels (no offense to Rondo, it's their method and they're honest about it) of QA/QC. Terrible final assembly, kludged together hardware, and generally poor fit and finish, which would be mostly forgivable if not priced like Japanese ESP, Ibanez J.Custom, or Jackson USA.

14. Bassnguitar

Bassnguitar SS.org Regular

I tried looking on Ishibashi, Ikebe, and Reverb. Seems like most if not all of the Strandberg J's were made in 2016-2018. Do they not make new guitars anymore?

15. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Untrue, they have never stopped making them.

16. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

You'll see brand new ones pop up on Digimart once or twice a month. They're still coming out. There are lots of expensive guitars in Japanese shops that never sell though. They don't mind holding onto older stock for years and they almost never go on sale.

17. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

I still can't get over this - my M2M is cheaper at time of purchase compared to some of the latest models out there.

Wildebeest and Musiscience like this.