Am I a "Tone snob"?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by johnniz, Nov 14, 2016.

1. johnniz

johnniz SS.org Regular

Hi.

I have a strange problem. It seems that like many of you, I`m on a continuous tone quest.
    I own:
    Line 6 HD 147 (HATE IT)
    Peavey Vypyr 15w with Eminence Alpha 8a speaker (LOVE IT)

I have owned: a Bugera 333XL with a Marshall 4x12 cab V30`s and 75`s in x pattern (did not like it at all)
    an Axe FX || with Equator D5 monitors and a EV zlx p12 and the Marshall cab with a power amp (sold it because I thought the little vypyr sounded better...yeah that happened)

While I love the bedroom volume of the little vypyr for all kinds of lead tones (playing along backingtracks etc), but at louder volumes it sounds harsh and "transistor like". It also sounds a bit muddy and fizzy when playing heavy riffs at any volume.

I have tried a EVH 5153 LBX lunch box, and it sounded nice, but not quite the tight riff tone I am looking for while still having enough gain and saturation for lead tones while remaining clear, not muddy.

Am I simply expecting too much? Or have I just not found what I`m looking for yet. Been looking at Engl ironball and EVH LBX 15w, but I have heard wonderful things about the Mesa mark v25 and the PRS Archon. I realize that these are at wildly different price points, but I am wondering if its worth saving up to. I was thinking of combining a lunch box type tube amp with a cheap 2x12 cab and throw the v30 speakers in there.

Any thoughts?

2. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

The Mark will blow the rest of those out of the water and then do a little dance about it afterwards, but obviously that comes at a cost.

What's the price of a Boogie in Oslo? If it's anything like the price of a pint of beer then you might have to forget about it.

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the problem/risk, you might be taking is if you werent happy on something as high end and amazing sounding as an Axe Fx, whats to say you wont do the same after spending a tonne on an expensive tube amp?

Of course I personally think it madness to have sold one because of preferring the Peavey tone etc but thats neither here nor there.

Perhaps really and extensively try out first hand any amp you are thinking of getting next before pulling the trigger. Incase you buy it and end up with the same issue. Go around in circles otherwise.

4. scrub

scrub SS.org Regular

+1 on the Mark.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

If you own your tone, good for you. If you think the Peavey sounds like fizz at high volumes, though, then maybe selling the Axe FX II was simply a mistake.

When I had some cash for a nice amp, I grabbed my guitar and went to several stores nearby that had different amplifiers, and I even drove over an hour to try some more boutique amps. I ended up settling on a Dual Recto, because, despite its limitations, it could handily give me the sounds and functionality I wanted with minimal bull.... involved.

I suggest that you try out tons of different stuff. If you are in a major population center, you really have no excuse for trying out at least a hundred amps before you decide. Who knows, though, maybe something will simply "grab you," and you'll decide right then and there.

6. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

A second hand full sized mark V/IV might be better value for money.

7. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

So you like tube amps, but just haven't landed on the right one... or you need two.
    If you're looking for no compromise tone, then a multiple amp setup might be in order.

Usually satisfaction in this hobby comes at a price.

8. johnniz

johnniz SS.org Regular

Yeah, I hear ya on the Mark. The JP demo of it was amazing, but then again he`s JP :) The Mark V 25 is about 2500 USD in Norway :( but its about 1930 USD from Thomann, but horrendous taxes will apply.

I really see your point. I should go around and try a bunch, but the problem is that almost none of the stores here have any effects in the demo room. I do not own a delay or reverb, so maybe I need to purchase that first.

Amen brother :) Im thinking about trying that EVH LBX again with some delay and bringing my own guitar maybe.

I know, thats what I feel I`ve been doing. Definitely need to try as much as possible before my next purchase.

9. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

This is the best description I've heard of a Mark series amp, and it's painfully true.

The Archon is also killer. To me it just sounds like you either haven't found what you're looking for in a single amp, or you just need two setups - one for bedroom levels and one for gigging.

10. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the Mark V 25 was lacklustre, and I think the Archon is just a glorified 5150/6505 variant with clever marketing and a marginally better clean tone. I've tried both, and I was left thoroughly underwhelmed.

If you're going lunchbox head, the Ironball is king IMO.

11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Try a vypyr head (I think they made/make them) and see if that sounds better than your combo.

12. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

Based on the OP, no, you are not a tone snob.

13. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Sounds like you need a bigger Vypyr.....OK that sounded less sexual when I thought of it.

Also, aren't we all tone snobs? If we were not, we would all be playing Squires into Spider II combos.

14. Genome

Genome SS.org Regular

Yeah. Unless you're actively looking for a smaller more compact rig, I would always plump for a good condition 2nd hand Mark V than one of its cousins.

Having said that, I've noticed them going up in price on the used market since Brexit (I would assume as the reason anyway, due to the pound's collapse) as a result of their general price hike.

I bought my Mark V for £2200 from guitarguitar in February 2015, they are now selling it for £2950 :eek:

15. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

i just love agreeing with you on this on every other thread :lol:

but seriously, to the OP, if it's worth anything i've been using solely my Ironball for the past near 6 months, just straight into the amp, nothing else. it's done everything i need it to do, at all volume levels. and that's from a guy who's used combinations of AMT preamps, overdrives, and EQ pedals all the time to shape my tone on my previous amps.

16. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

The Ironball rocks!

Engl rocks for tight riffage.

Have a FB100 and a Savage 120, and I have found all the tones I've been after.

Went through a few amps to get here but that's just part of the tone quest my friend. Be prepared to spend some dough:lol:

17. johnniz

johnniz SS.org Regular

This is exactly what I`m looking for. 10 out of 10 times I`m playing the Vypyr on the factory preset 6505 channel and the only thing I adjust is volume.

It would be a dream to be able to compare the Ironball to the Mark V 25 and possible a 5150 lbx or mini 6505

18. johnniz

johnniz SS.org Regular

I hear ya on the tight riffage, but does it get saturated enough for leads?

19. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

The ENGL is king of the heap as far as my own opinion goes. The Mark V 25 definitely isn't bad, but I found it trying to do too much and falling short as a result. The idea behind a lower wattage Mark is great (being that the Mark series is the only Mesa I actually like) but it just doesn't quite get there. I'd have a hard time justifying the pricing of a new Mark V 25w personally.

Absolutely it does. There's a considerable amount of gain on the Ironball (borderline too much, even) it saturates really nicely for lead work, especially with a good neck pickup.

20. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

Yep, it's pretty thick, single notes have a lot of weight, and the gain boost works wonders