Aluminum 8 string, fanned fret, collapsible, acoustic/electric travel guitar

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Ernesto, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

After I started building this thing, I found the Gittler. It was encouraging to see some people playing fretboardless guitars and liking it.

My version is similar in some ways but stronger, much more adjustable and serviceable than theirs, not out of motivation to one up them, but because doing things by hand makes it necessary to design things to be easy to adjust.

I'm at the land now and love it! I'll post a few pics when/if the deal goes through. Then it's time to move, set the shop back up, and get building again!

2. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

Congrats on the new place :cool:

3. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I don´t know how I didn´t see this thread before. Story is certainly compelling but the skills are mad! I would love to see your sketches, drawings for this or any of your work for that matter. Here I am doing ....ty CMOS noise crackers while you are ripping and rewiring cars. hahahaha.

Happy you found a place. And really excited to see the results of the build.

4. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

Nah...the guitar will only have one db25 for i/o. ;)

The land deal didn't go through. So glad I camped there for three days, which was enough to befriend the owner and find out the truth. Those old rednecks in that area would have run my hippie metal head hobbit house building ass out of there!

The USA is a tricky place to be for a guy that likes living in tents in good weather. The search for a place continues. NW is sure calling!

I'm going to be working on breaking down the shop tent and getting more mobile but I'll be continuing the guitar build out of my little rv, where it started in the first place. Hopefully I can find a cheap, gutted rv trailer to set up shop in. That way I can move around more frequently without having to do the whole unpack/setup/tear down/pack thing every time.

5. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

I'll dig out the drawing I did for the guitar and post it later. I'm betting you'll laugh hard!

6. Mehnike

Mehnike SS.org Peruser

This is gonna rule!

7. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

Keep in mind that I went to trade school for mechanical drafting, and did well... :hbang:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You guys asked for it! lol

8. Renkenstein

Renkenstein SS.org Regular

Fkn rednecks, man. There's no room in a civilized world for bigotry.

Pretty sure your nomadic nature belongs in the Pacific NW. I'd like to head there myself some day. They seem a lot more accommodating to those who live subsistence lifestyles.

Don't get discouraged, brother! Keep at it. The world needs more individuals of your type. Mad respect.

9. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

Actually, I think that without bigotry, a civilized world couldn't exist because no one would be able to justify using more than they need by thinking that they're "better" than others. Bigotry is a symptom of civilization is a symptom of bigotry. Chicken/egg thing.

It seems like, in the cities, the rich folks and their cop employees harass anyone that's different and in the country, it's the good ol boys. The NW sounds nice but it's still consumer America so I doubt I'd fit in there for long.

I'm just going to tighten up my neomadic scene, get a trailer to setup the shop in, and remain mobile until I can finish some of these projects. It's highly possible that my place in this world is constantly on the road.

With everything I've been through, I can't seem to stay discouraged for long.

As to the world needing more inventor wingnuts, I'm trying to do something about that every day. Finding willing mates is tricky in a world filled with materialist ho's though. I'm starting a feminist movement though, which should help. It's called the No Peace? No .....! Know Peace? Know .....! movement. The idea is to teach women how to identify and avoid breeding with psychopaths and how to identify and put up with peaceful, creative people for long enough to breed with them. lol

10. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

Lol!!! The forum software edited p#$$^! Hint, it's a word commonly associated with cats....and vag!nas.

11. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

This will be my last update until I make more progress on the guitar.

The place I've been camping is way too hot, no shade, and right next to the highway so I'm focusing on getting mobile again. Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be gutting my rv and setting it up as my mobile workshop. Then, I can camp somewhere pretty, in the mountains, or by a river, and get to work.

Another development in my life is that I've recently lost feeling in most of my left hand. It went away about a week ago and hasn't come back at all. It's most likely due to neck/nerve issues but it's numb and twitchy, not very good for doing precision work, which really sucks because precision work like building and soldering is what I do. I hope that it heals on its own, otherwise I might have to take up singing instead of guitar, and you guys really don't want that!

I'm super psyched on this build still, but need to get my living situation sorted before I'll be able to focus. Next update will have pics of real progress. I promise! :hbang:

12. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

Hey take care man. Have you seen a doc about you'r hand ?

13. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

After 5 years, I still haven't found a way to see a real doc for the broken neck. I'm white, male, single, broke, and in the US. I'm more likely to be struck by lightning than get in to see a doc that does anything other than dole out pills. If I had $4k and liked tramadol, I'd go in, pay up, get ignored, and get a sweet mild painkiller/ssri scrip. lol

Being in constant pain has really turned my life upside down for years. I'm just hoping to outlive my 14 year old dog at this point. Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger though.

14. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

Quick(Edit- succinct? not this nerd!) update.

I've been feeling pretty good lately. Been fixing gear for friends like crazy and I think I'm close to having a shop with walls again.

Lets see.... I did a full fret job/recrown/the works, installed a bridge, wired, and did a full set-up on a guitar that got played and signed by Melissa Etheridge a few weeks ago, and is now hung on a wall next to BB King and Buddy Guy's(I think) guitars at a restaurant where they'll be until they're auctioned for charity. Truth and Western Designs and another friend made it pretty. I made it play and sound like a very nice guitar. Go teamwork! Running into all kinds of amazingly talented people lately.
    Truth Guitars: https://www.facebook.com/Truth-Guitars-1691488357749187

I've been spending tons of time fixing my 40 year old rv and am sick of fixing it every time I need to drive it so I decided to weld up a trike conversion front end for an old suzuki 185 two stroke I've been hauling around for years. Then I can get 50mpg on propane and castor oil, and haul my dog, tools, some camping gear, and my music equipment around. Going to the junk yard to pick up spindles, wheels, and some steel in the morning. I'm thinking of gearing it down to 55mph from 80 to give it more grunt because I'm thinking it'll get 30+ inch off road tires (necessary for the trails around here for sure and I hate pavement pirates so...). I think that this build will take 15-20 hours at most to get it to a use able stage. I'm tempted to get all hopped up on herbal pain meds and bust the whole build out tomorrow, reality show style. We'll see how early I wake up I guess.. ;)

Hauling music equipment you ask? I think, after 20? years of not playing music in front of people, that I may be in two bands. The main project has been doing stuff under different names for years and I feel like I can really jive with them. One practice so far last week and we have a few songs sounding good to non musicians. I'm not sure if I'm in, if there is an in, if it's a revolving contributionist type project or what, but I'll keep learning songs and coming practice as long as they keep telling me when to show up. It's a blast playing with them. Some videos on youtube of them here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBiSZXItxzgHWFPDisxuv4w

Last night..was it last night? Anyway, I was drinking with a crazy friend that's an awesome musician. He played some of his older, really crazy stuff for me and it reminded me of the old days, being in punk bands where the intent was always to start a riot and cause chaos. Disempower horrible words/ideas by making humour out of them. Disturb people out of their daze. Figure out who can take a joke and who can take a choke. It's also a perfect way to keep psychopaths distracted and dancing to insane psychopath music instead of being out there influencing the world.....so after all of that rationalizing,....even though the chances that I'll get stabbed at a .... hole dive bar in Phoenix by a PC tyrant with no sense of humour while wearing bloodstained tightey whiteys stuffed with a huge sausage and sporting a mullet wig are not exactly zero, I'm going for it.
    Most of you are not ready for this. I promise. Don't say you weren't warned.
    Actually, I'm not even sure I can/should post it here but it's been on youtube for a year. PM me and tell me what a beta tape is(age verification) for a link I guess, just to be safe.

In the last few weeks, I've been way more comfortable in social situations than I've been since my twenties. Been playing at open jam's. I went to a wedding/Halloween party the other night and felt like I really connected with a dozen or so amazing people in one evening, which has been an all too rare experience in my life so far and really boosted my hope levels. I think that as I care less about what people think and just put my thoughts out there, I get more confident and the confidence over rides the stupid crap that sometimes escapes from my punished brain..lol

So I drunk tweeted and told the guys from Sirens that I'd bring this guitar to their Phoenix show in a little over a week. I don't have any expectations of having it "done" by then, like fine tuned and polished but I'm going to make it hold strings and make noise if I can. I felt like throwing it out there would give me some pressure to prioritize it a bit more and I feel a gear repair lull coming as people gear up for the holidays so perfect timing. I also have to get the shop down soon because the wind and UV are destroying it and it's not even really a dry place any more when it rains...drips everywhere.

Oh yeah. Finally getting more into the wood part of repair work too. A friend of a friend brought me a 196?-7? Epiphone bolt on neck acoustic that got stepped on and broke the neck block doodad and a few braces out. She'd taken it to all of the local guitar fixer dudes and they all told her it was trash. I had it all cleaned up, glued, and clamped in 15 minutes and it looks like a solid repair, We'll see what happens when I pull the clamps and string it up I guess. I'm also building a little brass plate to cover up where the top of the soundhole got ripped out by the fretboard but that will take ten minutes. Thumped on it and it sounds great so despite "value" I figured it was worth fixing.

Sorry for no pics but I'll get some progress pics up by the weekend if all goes as I hope.

15. Renkenstein

Renkenstein SS.org Regular

Tired of the RV breakin' down...let me weld a m'f'n motorcycle to the front end and that'll fix it...

I haven't been around on here much, been a busy summer finishing up a couple custom builds. It's great to check in and see you're still at it.

Hand doin' good? No recurrence?

16. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

Hey, this build can wait when there's a hard life to live. Keep at it!

17. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

The band thing didn't work out. I learned a bunch of songs they didn't even remember how to play and the other guitar guy didn't like me for some unknown reason. Screw it. I'm a one man band anyway.

Made some progress on the guitar build too. I'm waiting on some copper rivets to come in and then I can rivet the polished diamond plate top and back to the copper sides. I really dig the shape I came up with. I've worked my neck into painland again but am trudging forward. I figured that finishing the body might motivate me to get back to the tedious tiny parts I still need to make for the bridge, constant tension system, tuners, and pickups. I'll post some pics of the body work later this eve.

The left hand is still tingly and flinchy but it's nothing I can't deal with. If I can't get somewhere where I can grow enough herb to juice and keep the inflammation down, I'm not gonna make it to 40 so I'm really focusing on getting this build done and getting at least a pedalable trike together so I can head south. I was going to use the old suzuki two stroke for power but I think I'd rather pedal, because it's free and I'm really getting out of shape due to the joint issues. Pedaling a recumbent and swimming are basically the only ways I can exercise relatively pain free. I also have to build a little trailer to haul tools and supplies.

Anyway, I'll post a few pics later and hopefully will feel good enough to get building again tomorrow.

18. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

Internets are too slow to upload pics tonight so I'll try in the morning.

19. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

Pics!

I thought I got shots of the cut diamond plate top and sides but can't find them. It's dark already or I'd go take a few pics of them. Here are some pics of the body template and copper sides. I got the rivets in the mail today but have been super busy helping my friend get the baja 1000 chase truck ready. I'll be back on the build Sunday. Still shooting for having it playable by the 20th but I don't think I'll be able to afford to get to the sirens/fine constant show unless a miracle happens or I can find a ride. Will post a rideshare ad on the flagstaff craigslist in a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.