Alternative to Kalium strings?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by BlackFalcon17, Oct 1, 2020.

1. beavis2306

beavis2306 Lusts for gear

Dude! I'm in the same spot as you. Love kalium but got the right shits with his inablility to reply or fix the shipping glitch on his website. Also looking for an alternative for my 7 and 8 string guitars and a dingwall ng2 in drop Ab. Would definitely be keen to hear of your experiences on this front i was thinking of checking newtone

2. beavis2306

Where does the taper sit? Not on the fretboard? I've got to cater for 37inches

3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I'll have to double check, might be quite tight though. I'm not sure I have a full inch clear behind my 36" nut and I do have a top loading bridge. Using the 170 super long tapered.

4. Jeries

Jeries Banned

I have to try a NYXL .080 because the .078 was “bouncy.” Not totally like loose and flubby, but just almost like what an E string usually feels like. I prefer it slightly taught, so the next up is the .080, which is probably a little TOO fat, but the difference between a $4 .079 and a $0.80 cent .080, for now, is an easy call. I hope there is another brand that comes out with a nice .079 for eight string guitar bridges and nut/tuners....

If anyone sees it, please link or just reply. Thank you!

5. migstopheles

migstopheles SS.org Regular

Just been through this process with my NG3, decided to take a punt on a D'Addario XB160TSL for the B (tuned to G). It's very tight but I reckon it's OK - photos of the bridge and nut attached (note that only the B is the new D'Addario, the rest are still the 2 year old Newtones). The very last wind of the B before the taper is just resting on the nut. It sounds fine to my ears... but I'm neither a bass player nor a perfectionist :) I'd rather be able to use a well known site like strings direct - their support is absolutely awesome, and I know that I'm gonna get what I paid for nice and quick.

This is the custom set they put together for me btw https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/str...le-45-160-bass-guitar-custom-gauge-set-p15219

Attached Files:

Winspear and beavis2306 like this.
  6. Brutal08

Brutal08 SS.org Regular

Anyone has something to say about newtone strings compared to DR high beams? Im using DR on my warwicks I use 125 and 130 on drop A, i know it can be loose but i like that earthquake feeling on open notes im using tons of distortion in my sound btw, i am receiving my ng3 soon and the fact that kalium string seems to take forever to be shipped kind of turned me off.. Im looking for newtones and i may be switching the warwicks to newtones too as i order on bulk once or twice a year

7. migstopheles

migstopheles SS.org Regular

I've only tried Newtones and D'addarios on my NG3, but I wouldn't buy the Newtones again tbh.

8. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

Man I really hope Kalium gets back on track eventually. I sprang for a set of balanced tension strings from them last time I recorded and they were my favorite ever for feel and tone. The way life is going, I really don’t have the bandwidth to monitor anything else via email. :lol:

9. Brutal08

Brutal08 SS.org Regular

I tried d'addario on my F 7-8 years ago for drop G tuning and wasnt impressed, i might give it a try again for the ng3. D'addario would maybe be available locally. Im loving in a remote location so mostly anything out of the ordinairy is custom order

10. Obed1224

Obed1224 SS.org Regular

You can try calling Kalium and ask about the order. He is known to be bad with emails and as inconvenient as it is, I got the ball rolling by just calling and inquiring. He sent the order out quickly after that.

11. beavis2306

Not for me. Pretty sure he just ignores international numbers. Got a few responses early and he said he'd try to rig up a payment method outside of his fucked up website. Now - answering machine every time

12. Obed1224

Obed1224 SS.org Regular

Sorry to hear that man. I agree he should really improve his customer service.

13. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast

I placed an order for strings back on November 6th and just got them yesterday, so about a month turnaround time.

I got tracking info on November 13th but nothing actually shipped until November 30th. I sent an email checking on the status on the 24th and never got a reply, but seeing that it shipped out almost immediately after the holiday I figure it prompted him to get my order out. Who knows.

14. BlackFalcon17

BlackFalcon17 SS.org Regular

I've spent some time playing with the .145 on, and I'm happy with it. I would say the tension is a good medium that allows me to fret easily and hit hard without sounding flubby. We'll see how the .160 sounds when it comes time to swap out, but I'll probably stick with this.

15. beavis2306

Just put a set of tainless hex core newtone northlane strings on my dingwall NG2 in drop G# yesterday. Each string was down a touch in size from what i was running in Kalium and the tension is fine. The low string was .158 and is now .150 and feels fine. Sound seems a touch rolled off in the top end but a bit clearer too however i pretty much only use this for distorted stuff on my recordings so might be different if you're a real bassist. Kalium string were a couple of yrs old. Happy i changed over so far

16. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Just to add to the thread:
    I purchased some DR DDT55-5 strings (the .135 5 string set) recently for my 35" scale Modulus bass and upon trying them I can say they're definitely good for drop tuning. They're quite stiff compared to the same gauge of Kaliums and I see a lot of guys on talkbass mentioning using the .125 set for B or even A. I have a set of .142 Kaliums tuned up a half step to C on a 34" scale bass and even that feels noticably less stiff than the DR's do on the Modulus in B. With the .135 I was able to tune down to G without things getting too out of
    control with regard to floppiness on my Modulus and the note produced seemed pretty well defined.
    The tone of the strings is definitely distinct from the Kaliums, part of this is likely due to the stainless steel, i think they also spray something on the core before they're wrapped but I can't really quantify what difference that makes considering difference in core size could also affect the tone too. Overall, the Kaliums seem to have a lot more midrange to them whereas the DDTs have a lot more low end. It was weird to hear after using Kaliums for so long.

I did end up taking these strings off shortly after putting them on, primarily because I generally don't tune down and the increased stiffness of the strings was noticeable in B and began to feel like a bit much tuned up to C. The 125 set would probably have served my purposes better. If I write a song where I need a low A or something I'll probably put them back on for that track. In the meantime the Kaliums are back on and I'm going to try to put together a balanced set of the D'Addario Super Long Nickelwound or Stainless steel strings.

akinari and beavis2306 like this.
  17. beavis2306

Good intel. Let us know how the d'addarios go if you put them on