Alternative Material Guitars

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by c7spheres, Sep 26, 2020.

1. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I thought these are pretty cool. A guitar made of concrete and a guitar made of glass, and of course aluminium! That glass guitar is sick. Even the neck and fretboard is glass. Just thought I'd put this up so people could check them out.

2. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

The glass, concrete, colored pencil, etc. Guitars are pretty low tier click bait imo. That music is win video is probably the poorest demonstration of an alu neck I've ever seen, but he's also a bottom tier guitar YouTuber.

That being said alu neck guitars are sick. Whether it's neck through stuff like EGC/TBD, Obstructures, developing nations or aftermarket bolt on stuff from RGI, Baguley, alef, or aluminati. I'm currently waiting on my build with an RGI neck to be completed.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    c7spheres and Restarted like this.
  3. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I've had a Flaxwood Rautia for about a decade. Its construction is unusual: it is made of injection moulded spruce fiber and resin. The neck, body, backplate and even the nut are made of the same material. Because the material is not that light, the guitar is a hollowbody and weighs about the same as an average Strat like this.

It is without a doubt one of the best sounding guitars I own and I own some rather good ones. I think I have adjusted its truss rod exactly once because it's pretty impervious to weather changes and it has been just a joy to play over these years. Has very good sustain and the consistency from guitar to guitar is great as the other Flaxwoods I've tried have been just as good.

Here's a good demo. Mine just has dual S. Duncan humbuckers but this has a more interesting set.

budda and c7spheres like this.
  4. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

odibrom, broj15 and c7spheres like this.
  5. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

I've been wanting to try an aluminum neck for a while, but for some reason I hate all the headstocks. Why can't anyone make an aluminum neck with a "normal" headstock?

mlp187 and c7spheres like this.
  6. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

It really is unfortunate that EGC is the only aluminum guitar company even dipping thier toes into the ERG market.
    Although if you don't mind bolt on construction as opposed to neck through I've heard rumors that Baguley is down to do custom runs if you can get enough people in on it. Not sure if that applies to 7 strings but that's what he told me and a couple other ppl when we asked about baritone conversion necks for fender mustangs (24" extended to 26.94").

c7spheres likes this.
  7. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

I swear I'm not a sales rep for Baguley guitars but I feel like he totally killed it with his headstock design :lol:. Easily the best inline headstock I've seen on an alu neck. The silhouette reminds me of the old Ibanez Roadstar headstocks from the 80's.
    I get what you mean about not digging the headstocks, especially when most people pair them with a fender style body and the vast majority of alu necks are 3+3.

Unless you specifically don't like the cut out that they all have which is understandable. It's used to help cut unnecessary weight and mitigate neck dive, plus aluminum is plenty strong enough to handle the string tension so there really doesn't need to be much material there anyways.

8. Carl Kolchak

I'd asked one of the aluminum neck builders if he could make me a custom 7-string baritone neck. He said it'd cost 3.2K+. I said thanks for your time.

9. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

That's actually one of the ones I really don't like. I think it just looks very disproportionally large on any guitar I've seen it on. Also it's like they couldn't decide whether they should make it angular / pointed or rounded, so they did both.

broj15 likes this.
  10. Carl Kolchak

It's the old Ibanez Roadstar II headstock, isn't it?

11. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

Looks similar, can't say I like that one either.

I'm just not a fan of headstocks that have a lot of extra material beyond where the strings lie. My guitars are Ibanez RG, Suhr Modern, EBMM JP6, Vigier, for an idea of my tastes...

12. Carl Kolchak

Count me in if he ever does do a run of 7-string baritone necks.

13. thraxil

thraxil cylon

I had a Parker PB41 bass that was constructed from some kind of synthetic material instead of wood. It sounded great, played pretty well, and was really stable. It weighed a ton though (odd for a Parker) and I eventually got rid of it because it just never stopped off-gassing. Maybe if it was kept out in the open it wouldn't be too bad, but every time I would pull it out of the case, it just had a strong chemical stink that I couldn't get used to.

14. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Hey you're the other guy that owns one! :lol:

I have a green Rautia for about the same amount of time. I had tried one at Axe Palace and loved it. A year later I was in a small high end violin and guitar store (only had Gibson Customs, PRS PS, etc) and they had one. Apparently a guy had owed the owner money and so he gave it to him. He couldn't sell it so it ended up being like new for $699 with a case lol. I couldn't buy it fast enough.