Altered tunings?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Prophecy420, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Prophecy420

Prophecy420 BEADGBE

Does anyone have any cool altered tunings for the seven that they use a lot?

I'm not really big on theory but I'd love to know how to tune to things like open sus chords and stuff. :scream:

2. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

i use down one step a lot. ;p
    As far as Sus chords, all you do is take a chord like a C, which is C-E-G, and take the 3rd (middle note) and make it a 4th--for a sus4 chord. ...so, it'd like, C-F-G.

3. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Sometimes I drop the Low E to match the Low B which can make for somer interesting chorus like sounds. Open G is a lot of fun too; DGBdgbd .

4. The Sleeper

The Sleeper SS.org Regular

5. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

I actually tune my guitar up to an open B tuning, which is still plenty heavy sounding.

6. Vince

Vince Contributor

I like power chords:

B-F#-B-F#-B-F#-B

That tuning f'n kicks ass. :scream2:

7. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

ive been thinking about getting one of them 200$ washburn 7 strings on music 123 and tuning it to 5ths... (A-E-B-F#-C#-G#-D#)..
    Maybe classical style 5th like violin or mandolin...

G-D-A-E-B-F#-C#

8. Andi Rauscher

Andi Rauscher Member

I use the standard Tuning B-E-A-D-G-B-E, the dropped one A-E-A-D-G-B-E, and sometimes the B tuned up half a step to C: C-E-A-D-G-B-E. Also possible is double dropped: A-D-A-D-G-B-E, but I´ve never tried that.

Desertdweller, what string gauges do u use for your B-F#-B-F#-B-F#-B Tuning? sounds interesting, I think I´ll try that one day...

No Soul, what is open B?

9. Andi Rauscher

Andi Rauscher Member

ah, I forgot: Mr. Hetfield uses C-C-G-C-F-A-D in "some kind of Monster" and creates interesting effects with the two unisono strings. check out the TAB!

10. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

pretty much what it sounds like.

start with standard tuning, then tune all strings, minus the low B, up a full step.

you have
    B - F# - B - E - A - C# - F#

11. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

I've been using mine to tune ungodly low! :nuts:
    How do I explain it? I guess you'd tune it to F# B E A D F# B, then drop the 2 low strings down an additional step. Insane, I know, but it sure is fun.

Low to high:

Low E (equivalent to Low E on a bass)
    Low A (equivalent to Low A on a bass)
    E
    A
    D
    F#
    B

12. Andi Rauscher

Andi Rauscher Member

I´ve made this little spreadsheet, maybe it helps... if anyone knows more tunings, please feel free to email me! I will be happy to integrate them.

Attached Files:

13. Vince

Vince Contributor

Andi, you rock bud. Great addition to the board.

14. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

what kind of music are you playing?

15. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

awesome!

i've always been leary about alternate tunings, as i'm so used to the standard spacings/patterns/whatnots. maybe i'm pigeon-holing myself? :p

16. uv-7

uv-7 Member

low to high

gcgcgce

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

That's not quite open B... Strummed, that'd give you... Hmm. It's like a B7sus4add9? Anyway, straight-up open B would be B F# B D F# B F#.

I sorta like DADGAD with a low A - it's considered an "acoustic" open tuning, mostly, for fingerstyle stuff, but it absolutely rocks for heavy riffing in the vein of Tool, with lots of low-string chugging and these big suspended ringing chords on top. When I get off my ass and start writing again, I'll definitely be doing a tune with the riffing in that tuning. :)

-D

18. WayneCustom7

WayneCustom7 Paolo Contributor

I tried the drop A tuning, but I couldn't really figure things out...

19. 7StringofAblicK

7StringofAblicK Contributor

Mudvayne does that Open b tuning, but since he uses a six string it minus a high string. For five years of my 7 string tuning, I tuned only ADGCFAD. ONLY, but I did do some drop G riffage for one song(when I had baritone .076 guage for the seven). But in the last month, I realized that Standard tuning is what I love. I can keep a .056 or .054 guage(which IMHO has the best tone, for what I do), and it will be nice tight and firm. Plus intonating and neck adjustment is very consisten. Low A was not as tight as my B tuning, and I hate anything bigger than a .058( which I use on my washburn, but it's .009-.058, so it plays very well. The GHS boomer lights). The d'addario .054 and .056 are my favorite for B tuning. I can't stand a floppy muddy seven string, and either way you look at it, there will always be seven strings and always as many notes. the only thing that sounds different is the frequency the note is in. It's always going to be that sevenstring chuggy heaviness for me.

20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Here's a little hint, for drop-A - play an "Am shaped" sweep arpeggio (an arpeggio that would, if played in the open position, outline an Am chord. The terminology's my own, so if there's a better way to describe this, let me know. ;)) anywhere on the neck. Let's say 12th, so it really IS an Am. Now, play the arpeggio. Your E-string note will be the same as a 6, so hit the 12th fret. Now, your low A will perfectly parallel the A the root's on, so do 15 and 12. It's actually easier to do seven string sweeps in A than in B, I think.

Code:
    |-------------------------12h17-|-------------------------12h17-|----------------------12h16-|
    |----------------------13-------|----------------------14-------|-------------------12-------|
    |-------------------14----------|-------------------14----------|----------------13----------|
    |----------------14-------------|----------------14-------------|-------------14-------------|
    |----------12h15----------------|----------12h16----------------|----------14----------------|
    |-------12----------------------|-------12----------------------|----12h16-------------------|
    |-12h15-------------------------|-12h16-------------------------|-14-------------------------|
    Idunno, there's a couple. You get the idea. :) Eventually, I'll turn this into a full lesson for the site, but there's a few patterns to get you up and running. The fingerings are very intuitive.

-D