Alright, now I have *THE* pickguard.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Toshiro, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

A couple weeks ago I got a black picjguard to replace the swirl one on my RG750. Well at the time I talked to Roger @ Jeannie's about a black plastic diamond-plate one.

Well, now I have one, and IMO the guitar has never looked cooler/meaner/etc.

See:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it's...

\m/ :mad: METAL :mad: \m/

2. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

:yum: purdy, very nice :scream2:

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You realize, of yourse, you now NEED a Dual Rectifier? Custom black plate would be ncie, but even a stock chrome would work... ;)

-D

4. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Nah, that would too much diamond plate around the house. :p

Besides which, you got $1500 I can borrow for a while to buy one? Oh wait, 'borrow' implies I would pay it back at some point... heh ;)

Of course, if I had 1.5k I think I'd get something other than a rectumfrier. :)

5. Vince

Vince Contributor

I agree, Toshiro. Rectifiers are good when cranked, but at low volumes they're just plain muddy. Nice pickguard! I honestly hate pickguards, but that one's pretty tough looking!

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Hey, I'll take my nomad over a rectifer any day, but you can't argue with appearances. ;)

That's cool, though. :)

7. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Gut a Rectumfrier and load it with a Soldano SLO and then you've got something. :p I'd rather play through a 5150 than a DR.

Btw, pic of me ripping on this beast earlier:

[​IMG]

8. Vacant

Vacant Seven Strings

All this talk of Rectumfriers??? :confused:

Line 6 Vetta II :p

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

you know, a recto and a slo are apparently virtually identical, and a qualified tech can rewire a recto into a SLO in less than an hour, apparently (source- microdmitry over at jemsite)... ;)

-D

10. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Tech 21. :p

11. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Um, yeah, right. I take it he's never seen the guts of either of these amps, since they look completely different to go with sounding completely different.

For one thing, I don't need a TS9 in front of an SLO to get a bad-ass tight rhythm tone. :lol:

I've heard people describe the 5150 as a poorman's Soldano, but never the rectos. The DR curcuit might be based on the SLO, but it leaves the tone behind, IMO.

12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

They're visually very different, of course, but alledgedly the lead channels are only a few resistors here and there and a few wires moved around apart. Mesa was just going for what's apparently a VERY different tone, lol. And this is a guy who builds amps as a hobby- he seems to know what he's talking about. ;)

Don't get me wrong, barring the Road King i tried out I have yet to meet a rectifier I wasn't underwhelmed with. But the circuitry isn't far off, from the sound of it- I could just do without most of the changes they've made (Rectifiers don't really sound that great without the gain well over half up, and by that point it's far too saturated for any dynamics to be left in your signal, imo)

-D

13. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

There's not much difference between an old Marshall and a Fender Bassman either, but one isn't the other.

If any amp was going to be modded into an SLO, the old Yamaha T-100H would probably be the easiet to do,m since it was designed by Mike Soldano in the first place.

The tone stacks have got to be massively different in the DR then, since it would sound Marshally otherwise.

Oh well, I just used to look over the amp tech's shoulder, I'm not an amp repair guy. :) Maybe it's posible, but I'd still rather have an SLO to begin with. :p