All that remains... HEAVY AGAIN?!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by BusinessMan, Sep 18, 2018.

1. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

This song is heavy as an obese grandma playing the spoons in your nephews djentcore band. Jokes aside, this song takes me back to the good old days of all that remains. I really like the production as well

2. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel Dinkleberg

Never thought I would find myself clicking "Like" on anything related to All That Remains, yet here I am, doing it somehow. :lol: This song is great, hope the album has more like it.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  3. AwakenNoMore

AwakenNoMore Wrong Handed

A surprising twist after that Garth Brooks cover happened . . .

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  4. Anectine_Matt

Anectine_Matt SS.org Regular

I've been hearing that DL from The Acacia Strain is producing this and Bubble from BYD joined them, so that may be why this is actually pretty decent. Definitely has my interest.

BrailleDecibel likes this.
  5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Vocals sound like a Slipknot rip off to me :lol:

failsafe and Jacksonluvr636 like this.
  6. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Not too bad. Where's the diversity though? Where's the songwriting? Their first two albums were heavy...and had really interesting songs. Not just a chug riff for 3 minutes.

Jacksonluvr636 and cwhitey2 like this.
  7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I was wondering what would happen when I saw DL was producing. Now I know.

But yeah, this is solid. I'll always love This Darkened Heart and the two albums after are solid, but yeah, if they can get back to this aggressive sound again, that'd be excellent.

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

No shit. Dude here has a phrasing almost spot on to Corey Taylor.

Also as someone that haaates Phil and thinks ATR is overrated as hell (at least recently), this is pretty solid.

BrailleDecibel and cwhitey2 like this.
  9. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Edit: TL/DR; This song is a pretty good representation of their career. Started off like wow this is amazing but gradually turned to shit.

Man, ok I almost don't know what to say but there is a lot haha.

The opening riff is pretty ridiculous. Like WOA!!!! Thread title delivers. But the verse is 100% a slipknot ripoff, not just the vocals either.

The next part (chorus?) to me is too Whitechapel and the rest of the song TBH is just boring, lots of chugs like mentioned and stale riffs.

I do LOVE that opening riif however but IDK ATR had lost all of my respect years ago and this is not enough to redeem.

Pretty sad man, very talented group of guys who just lost their way. It really seems like these guys have no idea what to do. They are just trying really hard to sell records and make a living off of this, way too hard. I do not think this has been a case of maturity or evolution at all.

The worst part is that if they just kept doing their thing from the beginning they probably could have accomplished what they are after on a much bigger level.

I have no idea how many albums they sell or anything like that, I do not follow them. Maybe they are super successful but to me they fell off a long time ago and it has just gotten worse and worse.

That opening riff was hype though.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  10. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

The Fall of Ideals and Overcome are some of my all time favorite albums. Liked TDH and For We Are Many a good bit too.

This is kind of like Trivium to me. They used to be great but at best, you'll get just a glimpse of decency at this point.

11. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

^Yeah, going to have to disagree on that. Most everything before and after Vengeance Falls was pretty good.

setsuna7 and Smoked Porter like this.
  12. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Low key excited to check this out once I get a chance since The Fall of Ideals is still a killer record to this day imo. TDH was great too.
    Overcome and onward though, man, teenage me was so let down. Really hoping to hear more of that Shannon Lucas era sound.

13. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Even some tracks on Vengeance were okay (most of it was hot garbage but Strife sounds excellent live without the Draiman production). The problem I think people have with Trivium is not that their material got better/worse with X release, it's that X release went in a different direction to whatever people's preconceptions were. Shogun vs In Waves is a classic example as those records are borderline different sub-genres. They're both fantastic albums in their own right.

Mathemagician likes this.
  14. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Whhhhaaaat?

Trivium is still awesome. And the latest album is their most mature, one of the most technical (apart from Shogun), and most experimental yet.

Every album is different, and I love that. The early stuff was simple, but great riffs and melodies. Shogun experimented, was much heavier, and properly focused on 7 string. In Waves was back to basics, but amazing riffs and much more melodic. Vengeance was a good mix of thrash and pushing new boundaries in terms of melody. Silence in the Snow back to (down-tuned) 7 strings, no screaming at all. And the new album is just flat-out amazing. Glimpse of decency? What?!

couverdure, Mathemagician and Vyn like this.
  15. BusinessMan

Vengeance falls is actually what got me into trivium. I also like disturbed too so...

Flappydoodle and Mathemagician like this.
  16. PunkBillCarson

If Trivium's discography were a human being, you essentially became interested in them by listening to the inside of their anus.

17. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

We shouldn't derail this thread so I won't go into it too much. I'm happy to chat with anyone that finds it important enough. I'll just say that Trivium is the band that got me into metal and playing guitar and I absolutely worshiped them from 05-09ish so it wasn't easy for me to start disliking them.

As soon as they hired that awful drummer Nick I knew things were going downhill though. I consider every album past Shogun to be terrible and have a good amount of objective arguments to make on that account. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it though.

According to recent videos I've watched Matt's vocals are completely laughable now and both him and Corey have gotten worse at playing guitar. It's funny that Matt keeps putting in these "impressive vocal parts" such as SITS or Other worlds and he can't even come close to hitting them live. Watching him sing the growling parts from The Crusade or Shogun like Elvis is also very funny.

The new album seems to have tricked a lot of people by simply being heavier. Half the songs are total filler and the childish, heavy handed atheist lyrics really had me rolling my eyes. Beyond Oblivion was great though, best song since Shogun.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  18. BusinessMan

To each their own. I’m sure there are some groups you like that are complete, utter garbage anus listening too (in my opinion).

Mathemagician likes this.
  19. PunkBillCarson

Oh I never said Trivium was anus, just that album.

TheUnknownOne likes this.
  20. BusinessMan

Misunderstood you