All hail E standard

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by FifthCircleSquared, Feb 27, 2015.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I use:

.059" B1
    .046" E2
    .034" A2
    .026"w D3
    .016"p G3
    .012" B3
    .009" E4
    .007" A4

It's not balanced tension, but it gives me enough slack on the highs for bends and whatnot.

Which tuning to use is subjective. Obviously there are some limits, though. If you tune too high, strings break. If you tune too low, your tone goes to crap. There is an awful lot of middle ground between the two, though. There are bands who tune standard and sound super heavy, and there are bands that tune to standard that don't sound very heavy.

2. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Both my guitars are in standard tuning or Drop D whenever I feel like it. I keep them that way because I'm afraid that I might destroy their necks whenever I constantly tune them.

My Jackson has D'Addario 10-52s and my Ibanez has Rotosound 9-42s (which I'm gonna replace with a Dunlop 10-48 set because I hate that the tech strung with them and my NYXLs haven't arrived yet).

3. Keel

Keel SS.org Regular

Haha I was going to say chon.
    But yeah ever since I got my 7 string I have kept everything in standard or half step down. I generally would use drop A or A# on my sixes before, but now I don't see the point. I keep my 8 in drop Eb though. I don't like to mess around with different tunings because I know my standard fretboard fairly well, and different tunings can get confusing once you've drilled that in your head.

EDIT: string guages: 9-46

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I was tuning to drop Bb for years, and then I got a guitar with a wraparound bridge that you cannot adjust the intonation. I started playing it in Eb thinking it wouldn't be too off base with the immutable intonation settings. Now it's my preferred tuning! I do play it in dropped C# most of the time though.

5. Genocyber

Genocyber SS.org Regular

+1 for E standard... on all my guitars... 9-42 ernie ball super slinky and a 52 on the 7 string... very rarely i'll drop D... E standard tuning sounds great to me Sylosis is proof that it can still sound heavy as well...

6. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

:agreed:

I like the 54 for the Sevs though.

7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I use E standard because I have a floyd trem guitar and Its a pain to be changing tunnings/setting it up ect. Plus the majority of the songs I play are in standard. There is not much point to buy new strings and settup the guitar for lets say D standard or C, when I only know 3 songs in those tunings. So hence why I got the Drop pedal, I step on it to play modern Metallica songs on Eb, and Sab but True on D, couple of songs I know in C and play with a couple of riffs in B and in between.

Now Im getting a 7 string so I can have access to lower tunings without loosing my standard E guitar so I could still play the other stuff. Reason why Im going with a seven string and not a baritone 6 in B

cant be much bothered to re-learn the fretboard for each tuning.

8. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

I used to have all my 6 strings at Eb and below, but now they all seem to have crept up to E standard i guess for tone/tightness reasons.

It just feels better for soloing, the 7 string is tuned low for lower riffing but its nice to have all that higher range up the fretboard for leads.

I exclusively use elixir 10's (nano or poly) pretty much because they never break and last a lot longer from not oxidizing so much (& i can't be bothered restringing all my 10+ or whatever guitars all the time, though really only usually use just the 3-4).

9. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

E sounds happy

10. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

My favourites in order:

6 strings:
    D st tuning
    E st tuning
    Drop D
    C# st tuning

7 strings:
    A st tuning
    B st tuning

Drop A

The ones in bold are those I use permanently

11. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

I like e standard, I learnt all of the note names and shapes on it. I happen to enjoy an extra B and c# or e however, 8 strings are the sweet spot for me.

12. amonb

amonb Les Paul Fever Contributor

I have a guitar tuned to D standard using 60-10 strings just to bash out thick syrupy power chords... same reasoning.

13. khm

khm SS.org Regular

for my 25.5 I use roto 10-52 and for my 24.75 I use EB 9-46.

14. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

I like to change my tuning a lot. Currently have 2 guitars in Drop D down a whole step, one in Drop D standard, a 7 string in drop A down a whole step, an acoustic in standard and another in DADGAD.

I love doing this because when I feel uninspired by one tuning I just grab another guitar and try to get out of my writing rut. Also lets me play a new riff in different keys quickly to see where it sits the best.

Anybody else do the same thing? Or do you all keep all of your guitars in the same tuning?

15. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

I keep my favorite guitar in E Standard. The rest are in a variety of tunings (B, D, Eb).

16. hodorcore

hodorcore SS.org Regular

i play in E fourths tuning, EADGCF. Made the change about half a year ago and never looked back. It has changed my playing forever and I can recommend it to every guitar player out there! :D

I use 11-52 on my hardtail PRS's and 10-49 on my trem PRS

17. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Drop C somehow wound up becoming my all-purpose tuning for my band. They keyboardist writes a lot of the music, and he tends to use whatever key he feels like. And, since my main job is just to bring the Metal rhythm to our sound through power chords, it comes in useful.

You know how a lot of songs in Standard tend to be written in Em or Am, cause there's an easily-accessible low power chord? Drop C gives me one of those for everything from C to G- that's seven keys where I still have a nice low root to fall back on, including the ever-popular Em.

The only time it's ever given me trouble is if I'm playing something that would rely heavily on the open notes or chord shapes specific to standard tuning. Usually, that just winds up being covers, though.

18. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

Who cares about learning fretboards? Play by ear!

But yeah, I love my floyds and lazy to change tunings I am. Tho I do drop D for 6 strings sometimes, I just don't find it worthwhile for the 7:s.

I just prefer sevens as they give just that little extra without giving up much comfort.

E standard isn't an hindrance either. All fine with low tunings, but with proper arrangements E standard is just fine.

19. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I respect people with several similar guitars with the same pickups and same tuning, but they really make me curious about their way of seeing life... I'm just the opposite.

20. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

For classical guitar and hard tails I change tunings to DADF#BE and the likes, but it's a pain with Floyd's...

And pickups ... yes don't see the point with having several identical guitars, pickups vary the sound more than anything else on a guitar so that'd be the first thing to vary imho.