Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) has died?! :(

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lewis, Jan 4, 2021.

1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

It's a shame the sound quality is really bad, though.

Also, funny thing, seeing Alexander Kuoppala in that video, I just remembered that we always used to joke about him having an iron bar up his ass because he simply wouldn't move live. :lol: It sounds tight and all, but it kinda bothers me that he just keeps staring at his fretboard all the time, and doesn't even nod his head a little bit or anything. Absolutely static.

Here's one from around the same time with better quality:

That's another one I've watched a million times. Looks like Alexander also had the iron bar removed by this time :lol:

@Lorcan Ward haha... I didn't have to go to internet cafés - dial up internet was so expensive in Sweden that my mom calculated that for our family it would be much cheaper to get ADSL right away when it came out. So we had ADSL already at... end of the 90's (?).
    I still remember how awesome it was going from 56K -> 512K :lol: And also the ability to have the same connection on multiple computers at once was game changing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    Masoo2, works0fheart and aesthyrian like this.
  2. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

The first thing I ever heard from CoB was this, from the same concert. Just blew me away. I think it took me a few days to download it from Kazaa lite haha

p0ke likes this.
  3. Exit Existence

Exit Existence SS.org Regular

I wonder if/when his cause of death will be revealed. He has to have true rock star status in Finland so I doubt it will be kept under wraps for long.
    Those live in Seoul videos were amazing, I remember watching those in the early days of youtube.
    The first time I saw COB was in 2005 with Gojira, right after Roope joined.
    I remember another show in Toronto when they were playing with Megadeth, when Bodom started the crowd was so packed tightly together that probably 500+ people all fell over like dominos for a minute :lol:

aesthyrian and works0fheart like this.
  4. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    My first exposure to COB was when Alexi started doing his Guitar World column and the first instalment showed how to play Needled 24/7 he followed on with bits of the HCDR album each month after that but the first issue made me buy the album right away and it's what I really needed to hear at the time.

BTW I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but does anyone else remember when Alexi gave his opinion about Dream Theater in a Guitar World interview and their fans went into an outrage online & sent angry letters to GW about it?
    I can't remember exactly what was said but I thought it was hilarious how DT fans got so offended by his comments especially when you have guys like Malmsteen constantly saying far worse about every other guitarist (except Hendrix & Blackmore of course) whenever he opens his mouth.

Alberto7, aesthyrian and works0fheart like this.
  5. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Lol... I also used Kazaa back then, but the first video I grabbed was Hate Me! from the same Seoul show :lol: Like I said though, I already had ADSL then so the download finished in a matter of hours :lol:

I remember! He said something like "it's supposed to be music, not sports like Dream Theater". I still have the issue, so I can post a pic of it tomorrow if I remember.

6. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

"There are lots of guitar players out there who play super fast & super well, but they're also super lame. Like Dream Theater." :lol:

Alexi probably didn't listen to DT that much... also proves that anything can be found on discussion forums and social media after year 2005 or so.

Necky379 and p0ke like this.
  7. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

He got so much backlash from it that in a follow up issue about it they asked him again if he still had any bad blood with dream theater and he said something like "Enough with the Dream Theater! I never did, I was just young and edgy and probably having a bad day or something so they're who I took it out on. John Petrucci is obviously an amazing guitar player."

Maybe not exact words, but something pretty close to that. It was just one simple thing he said that the media took and ran with and it used to annoy the shit out of him lol.

I used to have the issue with the initial quote and the one with the follow up but I can't find them right now.

8. Exit Existence

Exit Existence SS.org Regular

They had a few oopsie moment backlashes like that. I remember when Trivium was still not well appreciated and they supported bodom on a tour, Bodom fans were like throwing shit at Matt Heafy and booing them on stage lmao Felt bad for Matt because he loves COB. I'm sure behind the scenes, every bodom tour was insane lol

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Now that you guys mention it, I do seem to remember something to that effect. That was pretty funny, to be honest. A bunch of uptight Dream Theater loyalists got upset over what, if memory serves, was pretty tame.

10. MFB

MFB Banned

That show was one of my first real live experiences, my dad drove me out to Worcester to see Amon Amarth, Trivium, and Bodom closed. I was a fucking Sophomore in high school and lost my mind at that show, got to the 2nd row right in front of Alexi, shit was a blast.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

The dream theater fans were just looking for an excuse to stop doing math homework - I mean “practicing”.

12. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Wow, on that same tour(Amon Amarth, CoB, Trivium?) in Chicago they were very well received. One of my favorite shows to date.

BeyonThe7thSeal likes this.
  13. BeyonThe7thSeal

BeyonThe7thSeal SS.org Regular

I remember this show as well, I was a huge COB and Trivium fan at the time. I remember every band that night having a great show and great response.

aesthyrian likes this.
  14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

What year was that? If it was around the Octavarium album then DT deserved every bit of that. :lol:

Vyn, aesthyrian and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  15. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

I think Alexi rejected prog metal and neck pickups after doing this. :lol:

Edit: might as well most the rest in case people aren't aware that Alexi was in a weird prog band for 5 minutes

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    aesthyrian likes this.
  16. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

I recall that when Petrucci was asked about this he did respond with some snark. Something along the lines of saying that Laiho had serious skills because he could play while drunk.

I'm willing to bet that Alexi didn't even remember saying it the next day. Dude was a party animal.

RIP to one of my first guitar heroes.

BlackMastodon and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  17. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

So much to say in this thread, Jesus, I wanna jump at every little thing :lol:

But yeah, I'm glad he stopped doing that weird music up there. CoB was time better spent than that. :lol:

My first song that I ever listened to by CoB was Warheart. A friend of mine in middle school had just gotten a brand new, spankin' mp3 player (which back then was like owning a spaceship) and had a few CoB songs in there. It was unlike anything I had ever heard, and I just HAD to have more of it.

So I went home and somehow I found a software called WinMX, which was pre-Kazaa. It took me like 2 days, on and off because dial-up, of like 0.3 Kb/s downloads to fully download Warheart. I listened to that shit nonstop for like a week. My parents were worried. :lol: Then my friend showed me Downfall, and that's when I lost it.

At the time I had just started playing guitar and was in between taking classical guitar lessons and playing AC/DC instead of practicing for my following lesson. A year after listening to Downfall I had completely abandoned the classical guitar, had bought an Ibanez GIO, and was very sloppily shredding through Kissing the Shadows, fully believing I was hot shit. It was fucking fantastic.

18. NotDonVito

I pretty much had to pirate COB songs because the only album my local shop had back then was Blooddrunk since it had just come out. Fortunately this was limewire and dsl times so I just snagged all that shit up in about an hour. Of course half of the songs I downloaded was Bill Clinton(limewire users will know what I'm talking about). Eventually I found a lovely trojan virus and that was it for the family Gateway.

And that reminds me that I sold off my CD collection years ago, along with all my COB albums. I had everything from Hatebreeder to Halo of Blood, being the last CD I ever bought. Been thinking about getting another FTR copy just to have around, since that one gets the most playtime from me by a wide margin.

The worse sting was that my Sinergy albums went in this big bundle, and now Sinergy has been taken off all streaming and the albums no longer distributed new. Fucked up there.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  19. NotDonVito

20. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

...Why?