Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) has died?! :(

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lewis, Jan 4, 2021.

1. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

I still have my GP-1000. It is based on a Fender Deluxe. The cleans are perfect in every way. The drive channel on the original 1987 units was more than enough for hard rock. Lee Jackson removed the valve DI and tapped that tube as an extra gain stage in 1988 units. This got the units into harder rock and 80s metal territory. You will need to boost them for extreme metal, but they will do Maiden and Priest just fine. The tone controls do not do as much as you would expect in a Marshall, but the tone stack and gain stage in the circuit chain have more to do with Fender than anything else.

aesthyrian likes this.
  2. Exit Existence

Exit Existence SS.org Regular

Clean channel? What's a clean channel? lol I feel bad I never really experimented with it's clean channel. I really wish I kept mine around just for nostalgia, I probably had some GAS for new gear and sold it on a whim.

ArtDecade likes this.
  3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- This was how we did everything. Backs of local magazines, the news paper, putting ads up at the mom and pop music stores for people to jam with, and hanging out at places.
    - We actually went out of our way to talk to anyone who looked like they might like rock/metal music. You'd be outside the Circle K like Bill and Ted and see any rando with a Metallica shirt and be like "yo! dude! Metallica Dude!" and you'd end up being freinds and going to a desert party that night where you'd meet even more new freinds. Sure they could have killed you and left you for dead, but they never did. Because they liked Metallica you could trust them with your life! :lol: (circa 1989) I feel even more nostalgic now mentioning Bill and Ted. A lot of the locations from the movie are where I grew up in Tempe/Mesa AZ. I've been to all of them.

4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

That is only true of the "Fender" version. Lee later changed it to a "Marshall" version. If memory serves, Alexi preferred the "Fender" version.

5. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

This channel is one of my favourites. No bs, just interesting content.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  6. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I've been watching a lot of Alexi videos just to remember the good times. Stumbled across this one... probably the worst I've seen.

7. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

I've read that Alexi and Roope even had their GP-1000's modified. I don't know exactly what that mod was, but my understanding is that some kind of "hot rod" making it a bit more aggressive. I can't be sure though if that's true or not, just something I've come across.

8. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

There is only so much you can do with the limited gain stages in the GP-1000. If they had 1987 versions, they probably did the standard 1988 mod - remove the DI and make it an extra gain stage. Once that is done, you can push it hard with an active boost (ala Alexi) and get plenty of gain. To be fair, you can probably get there with a standard 1987 version as well. I have never even considered modding my 87 because it sounds great the way it is. Both versions are pretty similar.

mungiisi likes this.
  9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Spaced Out Ace and aesthyrian like this.
  10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

What’s the easiest song to learn off any of the first 4 albums? Gonna try again now that I’m old.

11. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Bed Of Razors or Everytime I Die, they're quite mid tempo melodic songs and nothing too crazy going on.

Mathemagician likes this.
  12. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

The entirely of Hatebreeder in general is fairly reasonable, its Follow the Reaper that ramped up the speed technicality.

Mathemagician likes this.
  13. Spaced Out Ace

From what I know, Lee moved the EQ to after the gain stages vs the earlier version based on feedback. Lee HATES the ADA MP-1. He thinks it sounds like shit and only got popular because you could have lots of sounds. I have to agree, at least somewhat, that compared to the GP-1000, the MP-1 pales in comparison. Personally, I'd want a Sansamp PSA-1 (Alexi's back up at one time), GP-1000 and MP-1 for recording.

Earlier on, Alexi used an H4 and Roope used an H2, both with "Custom gain boost preamps" which I think is the MM-04. At some point he switched to an H2 and EMG made the ABQ.

ArtDecade likes this.
  14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Whatever happened to that Lee Jackson revival he tried doing awhile back? I remember hearing he wanted to bring back the GP1000, but it seemed to never happened and he went straight to the Metaltronix revival.

15. Spaced Out Ace

16. Spaced Out Ace

Dunno, but that MetlX thing from Overloud should list Akira Takasaki as well. He used the heads.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Akira gets overlooked in general, so it's par for the course.

Crash Dandicoot likes this.
  18. Spaced Out Ace

Fuck that. Akira plays circles around Zakk Wylde. Plus Zakk was pretty open about not being over the moon about the Metaltronix and preferring the JCM800.

19. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

He looks rough there in general. Not just frail but sluggish as well. Now that we know Alexi was sick for a while before his death, it makes videos like these tough to watch. He looks nearer to 80 than 41.

I said it before, but how sad would it be if Alexi was fighting a terminal illness and Children of Bodom broke up in order to give him some rest? He made the decision to found a new band and soldier through it. But it does make me wonder if he knew he was mortally ill and wanted to go out doing what he loved, or whether he was being treated for something he hoped he would recover from.

feilong29 likes this.
  20. Spaced Out Ace

I looked at the more recent Rig Rundown from 2016, when he is using the JVM, and he uses OD1 (not sure what mode) with the gain at 8:00 (1/10) and the H2 is the lowest output pickup EMG makes. They are probably closer to a PAF in terms of output. The bulk of it is from the gain boost. :rofl:

A "GEAR MASTERS" video shows the amp, and he has it around 9:00 on the red mode of OD1.