Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) has died?! :(

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lewis, Jan 4, 2021.

1. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I bought one of these day 1, sight unseen. It was a really shitty guitar. Super thick neck, with a lot of manufacturing flaws. Also they never sent me a case. I think I read that Alexi played one and thought it was trash.

2. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

I never played the rr24 but I've played the Kevin Bond Rhoades and it had some manufacturing flaws as well.

The Edwards EAL-120 Sawtooth did not.

3. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

My buddy has an edwards V (not a sawtooth, predates that by several years) and it is one of his best guitars. Seems to be right between ESP and LTD (of olde).

works0fheart likes this.
  4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Andy & co did an awesome job in that video!

On the album the pinch harmonics are recorded separately, drenched in reverb and delay to really make them jump out of the mix. That little touch really added to the atmosphere of the album.

5. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep, I'd say they're a pretty important part. Also some of them are harmonized between the two guitars, and that's a nice effect too.

For the latest Sunday With Ola riff challenge I ended my riff with a squeal that I think got pretty close to the sound on Kissing the Shadows (even though it didn't ring out properly on one guitar track, but it was close enough so I didn't re-record it...):

It's not that hard to do really, but then again I just got really obsessed with pinch harmonics when I got into CoB and practiced those exclusively for a long time. Must've been very nice for my mom, my sister and our neighbours to listen to :lol:

Lorcan Ward likes this.
  6. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Thanks for clarifying.

There is still something missing from the story though.
    • Alexi's guitars are stolen September 28th 2002
    • Sinergy's European tour was in November and December 2002
    • The neck of the Green Pinstripe guitar was apparently damaged during the Sinergy 2002 European tour
    • We know for a fact that Alexi had the Green Pinstripe RR by June/July 2003, since he plays it on video at Tuska Open Air.
    • Therefore it would have been impossible for Alexi to have placed a custom order for the guitar after the theft of his other guitars in September 2002, and have it ready for November/December 2002 (or even June/July 2003)
    Perhaps your story is correct and Alexi ordered the guitar with Roope's help before his other guitars were stolen? But there's problems with that theory, too. You can find references all over the place that Alexi bought (or was given) the Green Pinstripe RR from Roope. For example, this post here (with discussion in the comments), or this Facebook post, which has two old photos of Alexi with the guitar and states Roope gave Alexi the guitar.

So, I am certain of only two things at this point. First, that the timeline above doesn't match up and that it would've been impossible for Alexi to order the guitar after the other ones were stolen. Second, it is obvious the Internet thinks Alexi acquired the Green Pinstripe RR from Roope Latvala for some reason.

Do you know where to find that Finnish article that says where the guitar came from? Perhaps something was lost in translation, and a statement like 'Roope helped Alexi order the guitar' became 'Roope gave Alexi the guitar' when it was discussed on English Internet forums?

7. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

I'm sorry if I've been unclear - Alexi definitely did NOT order the green pinstripe RR in 2002. What I meant was that he got that RR1 for that 2002 fall Synergy tour.

I can't recall where I read that interview - some old article in a Finnish music (paper) magazine such as Soundi, Inferno or Rumba from 2003 or 2004. It might have been that the interview stated that they put that guitar together with Roope, but I definitely haven't every seen any mentions in reliable sources that the guitar would've been ordered by Roope. It can be, and I definitely wish not to be a besserwisser (I hate arguing in internet), but I've read a lot of old interviews from Roope and Alexi and not even once I've read that it was ordered by Roope.

And if we let room for speculation... the guitar has green pinstripes on black body - Hatebreeder colours, right? That would point into Alexi's direction. Just my thoughts and opinion without any confirmation.

Regarding the neck of the green pinstripe RR, it hasn't been broken at least in that sense that it would've required luthiers work.

8. Sermo Lupi

Okay, well at least that gives someone a starting point if they wanted to start digging. I don't know a lick of Finnish, so I'm of no use here even if I had access to the magazines.

There's a few sources out there mentioning the neck of the guitar was 'broken'. All are fan sites as far as I can tell. 'Broken' could be anything...maybe the headstock was damaged and repaired, or it had fretwork issues that made it unplayable on the tour. Maybe it is just a rumour or mistranslation.

As for whether Roope ordered it: I've never even seen any discussion of when the guitar was made. I'd assumed it was another of Roope's old guitars that Alexi bought from him (similar to the white pinstripe guitar Alexi bought from the other guitarist from Stone). If the guitar was new, it suits both of their taste in RRs.

I don't think the fact the pinstripes are green has any significance. Alexi would've been recording Hate Crew Deathroll at the time, and planning to tour in support of it. Hate Crew Deathroll was a 'red' album. The album before it, Follow the Reaper, was blue. Their first album, Something Wild, was also red. So I don't really see why Alexi would've favored green for the pinstripes just because Hatebreeder had a green album cover.

Having said all that, I do find it interesting that the Green Pinstripe RR was really marked up when Alexi owned it. Alexi didn't beat up the 'Stone' and 'Wildchild' guitars very much (like he did with his later ESPs). So it does seem plausible to me that he'd do that to a new guitar, or one he ordered himself. That's just a bit of my own speculation, though.

9. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Yep, a former bandmate of mine had a red RR24. The neck was indeed very thick, can't remember flaws though. He loved it and hated his dads super thin Ibanez Saber that was hangin' on the wall. I was the opposite of that.

10. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

It has been referenced by Alexi that the green pinstriped RR was in a very bad shape and beaten up when they put it together with Roope. With putting together they must have meant by replacing the hardware as it was equipped with the black Schaller floyd when Alexi played it.

The photos I've seen of the guitar didn't show any signs of broken neck or headstock, and those photos were taken many years after Alexi moved to ESP.

One more detail: Alexi didn't buy his Stone RR (white pinstripes) from the ex-Stone guitarist Jiri Jalkanen. He bought it from a local music store, where Jiri had sold the guitar.

Also, if you take a look of the last photos of the WildChild RR you definitely can tell that that guitar had some chips and damage on it. Even Kimberly Goss posted a photo of Alexi and Alexander by a Pontiac Firebird which shows that there's a large piece missing on the upper horn of that guitar.

11. Sermo Lupi

Why would the guitar already have been in 'very bad shape' when Alexi received it if it was brand new when he ordered it? I don't get what you mean. Did you mean to say Daniel Freyberg, as he seems to be the one who swapped in the gold floyd rose?

As for whether the neck was ever damaged, a quality repair leaves little trace behind. Unless we're talking really high quality photos (of which I've seen none), or the guitar was inspected in person, I don't think it is something you'd see from photos online. In any case, why are we doubting this detail? What reason do we have to suspect it isn't true?

Lastly, I am certain Alexi was hard on all of his guitars. However, his 'Wildchild' and 'Stone' guitars were in excellent shape compared to that Green Pinstripe RR. For starters, the Green one looked like it had a hammer taken to the face of it. Chips on the wing tips just comes with the territory of RRs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Samark likes this.
  12. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Ha, looks like I was completely mistaken - I was under the impression that HCDR was still recorded with the Jacksons. But then again, I do recall seeing the ESP logo in the booklet... Also in the Sixpounder video he's playing the white ESP. So it's definitely a thinking error on my behalf.

13. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

CoB hasn't been a band that I've been a fan of, but I figured I'd check out some footage of Alexi playing a few minutes ago, and I gotta say I'm hooked after less than 30 seconds.

potatohead and Masoo2 like this.
  14. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

What I meant was that the guitar was in bad shape when they had to put it together after the other guitars were stolen. That’s what they have stated in the old Finnish interviews. I bet it has been in fine condition when brand new, but something has happened in between.

The photos I’ve seen of the guitar were detailed shots - of the neck, headstock and body. No signs of serious damage other than on the finish on the body.

15. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

HCDR was released in January 2003, Alexi’s Jacksons were stolen in 26th of September 2002 (after Spinefeast) and HCDR was recorded between August and September 2002. I don’t think ESP’s have anything other to do with the record than the fact that he got the endorsement before the album was released.

works0fheart likes this.
  16. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Gotcha. So I wasn't wrong then. I just didn't know at what point in 2003 the album was released (I bought it in the summer of 2003), so I kinda imagined it being recorded in 2003. And for whatever reason I thought the guitars were stolen in 2003. Not that it'd matter, really...

mungiisi likes this.
  17. Sermo Lupi

Without seeing the photos myself, I can't really say one way or the other. As I said, the Internet seems to think otherwise for whatever reason. I don't think it is a significant detail at this point; the question is primarily where Alexi got the guitar from.

Small correction in that it was the 28th rather than the 26th. But yes, the endorsement came at just the right time for ESP. CoB had a brand new album, freshly recorded and ready for promotion at pretty much the height of the band's breakthrough into the mainstream. Those ESP guitars got a lot of exposure from Day 1.

aesthyrian likes this.
  18. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Man this thread makes me feel old. I remember when his esp's were first getting revealed and whatnot. Time flies.

zappatton2, JimF, potatohead and 4 others like this.
  19. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Same! I’ve got in contact with friends and remembered times I haven’t thought about in ages. It’s really brought back a lot of memories and reminded what it was like to be an enthusiastic teenager getting into guitar & metal. Ive made so many life long friends based on simply liking a band.

20. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Same here man. I was really lucky living in the area I was in (Orlando) and I would go to a lot of concerts when I was young, even if it wasn't huge bands. I made a lot of good friends and have met some great musicians just by having music as an outlet, even if sometimes it was in dingy little clubs, sometimes with crowds of maybe 30 people. I really do feel like that's what attracts people to metal. It has a certain magic to it. It's the only genre I think that can manage to continuously reinvent itself without fear of offending people because that was the foundation of it from the start: being obscene at the surface level.

I can certainly say that some of my favorite memories of hanging out with certain people and just in general great times in my life there was usually a great band blasting somewhere in the background. For CoB, I'll always remember being in high school and getting into shenanigans with my small group of friends around my neighborhood, playing Halo 2 on the earliest incarnation of XBOX Live and staying up all night searching for videos of my favorite bands on my families old, shitty Dell desktop, with some cheap guitar in my lap, trying to play quiet enough to not wake up my family. World of Warcraft was still a new thing, and In Flames were still making pretty decent music. My friends and I were always excited to show each other some shoddy quality burnt cd with some In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Shadows Fall, KSE, or CoB song on it that we'd come across on whatever terrible download service we were using at the time that was pretty much a virus infested cesspool. Some of these albums were hard to even find physical copies of back then, so it was always pretty cool when one of us managed to find something we hadn't heard before.

I think maybe 5 or 6 of us all played guitar and we would sit around with these bands playing in the background and idolize players like Alexi and their sweet guitars and amps. I think out of all of us maybe 2 of us still play guitar. Something about songs like Downfall and Black Widow really ignited something in me that really made me want to get good at guitar and it just drove me to practice hard for years whereas most of my friends just saw it as a casual hobby. Nothing wrong with that of course.

It's been years since those songs had the impact on me they did when I first started playing guitar, but given recent circumstances I've been listening to Bodom again almost non-stop, and now when I hear Black Widow I get all giddy and ready to pick my guitar up again just to play through that first chorus riff.

I would say it feels nice to be reinvigorated to play guitar again but fuck do I wish it was under better circumstances.

c7spheres and Boris_VTR like this.