Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) has died?! :(

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lewis, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Lol, I guess that's still the case since Jacksons are so under the rock here.

2. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR SS.org Regular

If I remember they had a party (in Finland I belive) and they put guitars behind amp boxes. And after party they were missing. So either stolen or somebody was drunk out of his mind and threw them in water (they would probabably find them). Probaby stolen.

3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Four Children Of Bodom albums made a comeback to the official most selling albums chart in Finland.

https://www.ifpi.fi/lista/albumit/2021/1/

19. Are You Dead Yet?
    29. Hatebreeder
    32. Follow The Reaper
    45. Hexed

4. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Are they? I don't see many RR's around TBH, but DK2's and the newer 7-string models seem to be all over the place. I don't know about shops though, I haven't been to a guitar store in ages. But yeah, anyway, said information is from 2004, and that's pretty close to the time Alexi went to ESP.

5. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Man, been skimming through the pages and it seems Alexi Laiho was a huge influence when Hatebreeder, Follow the Reaper and Hate crew Deathroll came out. Same for me, I was in my mid-teens when I listened a lot of CoB. Around Are you dead yet I stopped following them and moved on. It still made me sad to hear the news though. Alexi Laiho was one of the better guitar players in my cd collection!

The thing I remember most about the one of the times I saw CoB live were the stage props, it was almost unseen for a metal band. A rusty car, a platform over it and Alexi running left to right and up and down the stage at Wacken.
    That's been 12 years ago now..damn!

Boris_VTR and p0ke like this.
  6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

It's not very uncommon anymore, but I don't recall other bands having that back then. Also what I thought was cool was the penzoil-branded oil canisters they had shooting their pyros up in the air, kinda went nicely with the rusty car theme. Also a couple of years ago their show at Tuska was BBQ themed and they invited other bands onto the stage to cook sausages on the pyros :lol: Because well, why the fuck not :lol:

7. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

From what I've read Fender is hard to deal with for mom and pop shop, but ultimately the issue was that Fender/Jackson didn't really treat Alexi that well. I already said this in the best V thread, but if they wanted to they could've gotten him a production model replacement while he waits for another Custom, but they just didn't care. There's nothing in the regular production line that fit his needs (24 frets Rhoads), but Chushin makes a bunch of 24 frets Rhoads for the local Japanese market (in fact everything they released in Japan from 1999 til 2004-ish were 24 frets, including Rhoads), and the top end models easily match a RR1 in spec and arguably quality. Not to mention Chushin themselves offer a semi-custom option for all the high end models, they could've customized a dozen Wildchild Rhoads to send to him if they wanted to. The delay was partially due to the move of the Custom Shop, but they also told him to fuck off to the back of the line like a regular customer instead of giving him priority as an endorsed artist.

Although nowadays I bet people would prefer they treat more endorsee like that given the state of Masterbuilt Custom Shop :^)

Boris_VTR likes this.
  8. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

The green pinstripe guitar was borrowed from Roope. According to this CoB fan page post from 2008, it's neck was broken during the Sinergy 2002 European Tour. It presumably was repaired, because this 2008 thread from the Ultimate Metal forums notes he used it at the Tuska Open Air Festival in 2003 for Drop C songs. Sure enough, videos of that concert show Alexi had already switched to ESP for his main guitars but used the Green Pinstripe Jackson for Sixpounder. Alexi's Jacksons were stolen from their practice pad after their show at Nosturi, Helsinki (Finland) on September 28th 2002. As far as I can tell, the Sinergy European Tour was throughout November and December 2002. Apparently Children of Bodom played another show on October 4th 2002, just a few days after the theft of Alexi's Jacksons. So it really was no exaggeration that Alexi needed replacement guitars for touring ASAP. If it is true he broke the neck of that Green Pinstripe guitar he borrowed from Roope, he really couldn't afford any of Jackson's excuses with a new album coming out and tour dates lined up in only a few month's time.

See further the discussion in the CoB thread from a few months ago (e.g. my posts on pages 71-73). Apparently Daniel Freyburg now owns the Green Pinstripe Jackson.

Definitely not correct. I linked it above, but here's a Blabbermouth article from 2002 that confirms the guitars were stolen after CoB's show at Nosturi in Helsinki.

I remember reading lots of articles back in 2002/2003 when it happened. Few of which are still searchable online, sadly. By coincidence, I watched this Banger TV interview with Alexi from 2017, and they talk about the Jacksons around 2:50. Alexi says:

"Well, initially I actually switched over to ESP because my Jacksons were stolen. To this day, I'm not quite sure what the hell happened, but they just disappeared from our practice pad."

I can't say what he means by 'practice pad' exactly; if you search online, there were rumours CoB practiced at Nosturi as well. He could just mean a backstage area where the band would warm up at the venue. All I can really say from recollection is that I distinctly remember reading an interview with Alexi from around the time it happened, in which he went into more detail about how the guitars were stored with the band's gear and someone stole them while everyone was partying. The press release the band issued (quoted in that Blabbermouth article) seems to be worded in such a way that the thief may have been known to someone at the party.

9. Kaura

I'm pretty sure they had an actual practice space in Nosturi. In the Trashed & Lost in Helsinki video you can see them walking out of Nosturi after the scene where all of their stuff is "stolen" from their practice room. I think quite a few bands used to practice there back in the day.

aesthyrian and Sermo Lupi like this.
  10. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep, AFAIK there were plenty of practice rooms for rent in Nosturi (below the actual venue).
    That's one of my favorite videos of theirs by the way :lol:

11. Kaura

Tfw no Marshall cab as a minibar. ;_;

marsubaari.png

12. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

That green pinstripe RR was Alexis personal Custom Shop order, and it was beaten up but playable. Daniel (Freyberg) has owned the guitar for almost 10 years now I guess.

Alexi did indeed receive a production model, RR1 with golden pinstripes, when his guitars were stolen. He used that guitar on that Sinergy tour which started almost right after his guitars were stolen, I recall there’s even photographs from shows where he played that. I know the guy who has this guitar now.

Even if he was ”forced” to change to ESP given the circumstances, I strongly think he would have done the change sooner or later as Musamaailma would’ve given up Jackson and started to distribute ESP. This happened to almost every major metal guitar player in Finland.

Alexi was a huge influence to me. I was in my early teens when I heard HCDR, and COB was my number one band for many years. The first four albums and Alexi’s playing were great...

works0fheart and p0ke like this.
  13. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR SS.org Regular

I would think that when band is popular then guitar company would have direct contact with artists. No need for man in the middle (dealers) here.

14. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

They weren't really popular though at that point, not yet. CoB didn't pop off internationally til AYDY. Not excusing Jackson, but you can kinda understand their mentally. If it was like Dave Mustaine or something back in the day they'd be on their hands and knees getting him a replacement, but Alexi in their eye was just some literally who

15. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR SS.org Regular

I believe they focused on USA artists. My impression was that they were already established by 3rd album but I could be totally wrong here :) At least in this part of Europe. Not sure for USA though.
    Almost all big metal bands switched to ESP at that time so even without his guitars being stolen he would probably switch eventually. And most of artists stayed with ESP, apparently they treat artists very good.

16. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Could the 'production guitar' have been his signature model?

In that other thread I linked in my last post, @p0ke mentioned that Alexi and Roope had a co-signature model from Jackson, known as the RR-LL (for Laiho-Latvala). About 60 pieces were made for Finland only. If you look around online, you can find the specs; it looked like Alexi's 'Wildchild' guitar but was an entry-level model.

In fact, Alexi and Roope did a clinic at Keskusmusiikki music store in Lahti, Finland, in March of 2001. You can see footage from the clinic below. Around 13:50 they take turns demoing the signature RR (not to be confused with the custom shop Jacksons they played for the performance). Alexi appears to struggle playing it somewhat.

Does your friend own Alexi's production sample of this guitar? Or does he own one of the 60 that were produced for the Finish market? I can't imagine Alexi would've used it much on that Sinergy tour considering what we see in this clinic footage. I'd assume he played that Green Pinstripe RR and any other CS RRs he may have borrowed from Roope. He loaned a few from Roope over the years, although I can't say for certain whether that the Green Pinstripe guitar was one of them; this is the first time I've heard that Alexi ordered the Green Pinstripe RR from Jackson directly.

Yeah. Apparently Jackson was pretty cash-strapped and unable to support endorsed artists until around 2007. Or at least that was @MaxOfMetal 's assessment of Jackson's state of affairs in the 2000s when this came up before.

So you may be right a switch was inevitable. Personally, I just vastly prefer the RR to the oversized proportions of the ESP SV. Alexi was such a small guy to start with, the RRs looked somewhat normal on him, but was practically swimming in those SVs. If he didn't jump around so much on stage, he might've been able to hide behind them :lol:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Boris_VTR likes this.
  17. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

No. The production model he used on this particular Sinergy tour which happened right after his two CS Jacksons were stolen was a Jackson RR1. The steal happened after Spinefeast called small festival, which was held in Nosturi - same venue where their rehearsal place was at the time. I don't recall he every played RR-LL live except for these guitar clinics they did with Roope.

Regarding the green pinstriped RR; Alexi mentioned it in an old Finnish interview that the green pinstriped RR was his own personal order. They had to put it together with Roope once the two others were stolen. Nice detail is that the guitar has a serial number starting with J - usually custom RR's have serials starting with RR. I wonder why it didn't get that much play time compared to the others. You can even see the green pinstripe RR sitting in the background of the famous "Kuuden Kielen Maisterit" interview; it used to have golden hardware originally. That was by the way best period of Alexi I think.

18. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I hadn't seen that video before someone linked it here the other day - there it seems like both are trying out the guitar and Roope is commenting that "the sound is a little bit up tight, not necessarily in a bad way", and in the end Alexi says a little bit sarcastically sounding "for real, buy these guitars!". AFAIK the RR-LL looked just like that, so it's probably it, and I'm guessing that was some kind of promo event for it. Maybe the guitar came directly from the factory and wasn't set up properly?

19. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

This was a good one.

Lorcan Ward and jahosy like this.
  20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Kinda wish they had played it slightly faster (like maybe 10-20 bpm) but otherwise very good. And actually only the beginning felt a little bit slowish. Also the rhythm guitar player didn't quite nail those squealy pinch harmonics, which IMO is one of Alexis signature things. </nitpicking>
    Andy rules, absolutely nailed those solos :O Keyboard player is really good too.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Metropolis likes this.